“Clean and Comfortable” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Hammond
Chicago, Illinois
“Clean and Comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

Pros:

Great location, right off the expressway but no expressway noise to keep you awake
Clean, clean, clean
Pool, sport court, pet friendly, next to a Cracker Barrel
Great bathroom lighting
Super comfortable beds
Good HVAC
Not too big of a place and not too small
Excellent room layout and use of space
Plenty of parking
Decent cable selection and nice flat screen
Good but small kitchen
Friendly, accommodating staff. Sean gave our puppy a Milk Bone upon arrival and fussed over her, so we liked him right off the bat!
Very nice about giving us an extra hour to check out

Cons:
Lousy breakfast - when will these hotels get these 'free breakfasts' right? Go to the Cracker Barrel next door instead
$100 sanitation fee for my dog - pretty pricey since I only stayed there one night and I always pick up after her

Room Tip: We had a studio, right at the top of the side stairs. It was PERFECT for being able to walk our dog...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Claire D, General Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased to hear that we were able to meet your needs during your stay with us. I look forward to sharing your feedback with the staff. I apologize that we were unable to meet your breakfast needs during your stay, but I invite you to visit us again if ever in the area as we have upgraded many of our breakfast menu items. Thank you again for the review, we truly appreciate the recognition and kind words.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

I usually find Residence Inns to provide a pleasant, comfortable stay. This was certainly not the case on my recent visit. The property is very nice, clean and well kept. However, after only about 1 hour after arrival the electricity went out and my room continued to have no power for the entire stay. There were parts of the hotel that had partial power but I had none at all. After many attempts to see if the staff could assist me and make the best out of a bad situation, I gave up for the night. There was no offer to provide any cold water, flashlights, help trudging down 3 flights of stairs with luggage in the morning or trying to relocate me. No help at all was given. I was told that they were full and no other rooms were available. I realize that the fact that the power was out was beyond their control. However, a hotel should try to make their guests as comfortable as possible. There were safety issues with no flashlights or candles. After sweating all night, a shower was not possible in the morning since it was still too dark. It was terribly hot and stuffy on the 3rd floor and it was very hot and humid outside to even attempt to open windows. The staff seemed annoyed and frustrated and not willing to assist me at all. There was no offer to compensate me financially for a horrible stay and the staff seemed put off that I suggested it. I think if the power stays on, you will likely be happy with your stay here. However, beware if the power goes out. They indicated this had been happening frequently.

Room Tip: If the power is out or goes out during your stay - pack up and leave. You may want to avoid this lo...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank travmama
Our first priority here at the Residence Inn Chicago Southeast is to provide exceptional service and exceed expectations, however it sounds like we failed to hit the mark during your stay with us. While the power outage was out of our control, I am still extremely disappointed to hear that we did not maintain outstanding service. I will be sure to share these comments with my staff, we are always looking for ways to improve so your feedback is much appreciated. Thank you again for the review, and I look forward to hopefully speaking with you more about your experience.
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

I arrived at this hotel after a "nice" 10 hour drive from the east coast at 11 PM. The hotel was only partially powered, apparently a recent storm took out some of the power but not all. The front desk clerk basically said I could stay or not and they would understand if I wanted to go elsewhere. And in the next breath informed me that all of the hotels in the local area were sold out already. OK, I understand acts of nature but there were not a ton of people waiting to check in at that time of night, we are in a suburb of Chicago, at a major hotel chain, and I am a gold elite member. I did receive an email (I read the next morning) from the assistant general manager at 10 PM warning me the power was out in "half the building". I guess I was supposed to arrive hoping it wasn't out in my half. But the assistant general manager wasn't at the desk a short hour later, wouldn't you think that she would at least be around during this mini-crisis? Is there not some 800 number they could call to find rooms in the area so you would at least have an option of going elsewhere?

So, I was given a room key to go to my room where I was allowed to "check out" to see if it had power, because they didn't know? Honestly I needed sleep more than I needed power so I stayed. There was still a promise of a hot breakfast since the kitchen allegedly had power. It turns out that was not quite right either. No coffee but they had waffles? Weird.

So, I left, paying full price for a less than half of a room. No comment the next day by the perky clerk except, "come back again, hopefully we won't have a storm next time!"
I think I'll pass...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Robert V
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Residence Inn Chicago Southeast. I am disappointed to read the experience you had during your stay with us. It looks like we failed to accommodate and meet your needs during the unfortunate power failure we experienced at the hotel. We truly do appreciate your feedback, and as we continue to strive for excellence in service I look forward to speaking with you more about your experience.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

get treated real well here, great hospitality events with beer and wine. rooms are clean and very spacious. staff is is wonderful waiting for your requests. breakfast is fast, convenient, and good (especially the breakfast burritos).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to accommodate your needs. I will be sure to share your kind words with the staff here, and we look forward to serving you again the next time you are visiting the area!
Essex, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite the weekend of April 26th, 2 adults and a 1.5 year old. The room were well layout out and very clean. The kitchens were well equipped, the fridge even included an ice maker so you weren't getting ice from a community ice machine. There was also tea,coffee and popcorn included in the room. The bedroom with an en suite bathroom included a comfy bed and a tv. The only complaint I had was the fact that the toilet/bath tub room was very small, it was hard to get in there with a toddler to give him a bath - the rest of the bathroom was plenty big enough.
The included breakfast was very good, it included everything you could possibly want. The pool was closed for maintenance during our stay so we didn't see it. The staff, front desk and breakfast, were very friendly and helpful. The free wifi worked very well.
The area that the hotel is in has very little to do, there is a Cracker Barrel and Wendy's next door and a Cabela's at the next exit. This wasn't a huge deal because we drove into Chicago each day we were there. Getting to and from downtown Chicago was very easy from this location, it took about 30-45 minutes depending on where you went.
Overall we would definitely stay here again, my husband has stayed here multiple times for business and has always had a great experience.

Room Tip: If you want a view of something besides the roof and off ramps ask for a room facing the pond behind...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Julie S, General Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN, responded to this review, 19 May 2013
Thank you very much for your review. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your time here with us, and even more that a big part of that was because of the great staff. I have passed on your kind comments and kudos to the ENTIRE team. We hope to see you back again in the future.
Florissant, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

The staff at the Residence Inn is exceptionally nice and helpful including the morning breakfast ladies and evening social hour staff. It probably doesn't mean much to everybody but every time I and headed to the door with my arms full - they make sure the door is open and waiting for me. It just goes to show how attentive they are to their guests. The rooms are equivalent to a small apartment with all the ammenties of home (except no scissors). I would highly recommend this place to anyone who is staying in the Northwest Indiana or Chicago area no matter how long you plan on staying.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Julie S, General Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN, responded to this review, 21 April 2013
Some things may not mean much to some people, but I can assure you, your wonderful comments will mean everything to our Residence Inn/Hammond team. Thank you for recognizing the breakfast and social hour staff, we are so glad we could make your stay home away from home!
East Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

I love Marriott's Residence Inns, they always smell so good. This place never disappoints me, the beds are always clean and comfortable, and their breakfast bar is always delicious. I have stayed here several times when traveling to Chicago. The staff is courteous and friendly, they show and honest caring for their patrons. This hotel is very convenient for my business travel since its very close to where I need to be in Harvey, IL, without having to go through the Chicago traffic. My rooms were always quiet even with the close proximity of the highway.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Julie S, General Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Thank you so much for your positive review. We are delighted with your comments regarding our team here, our quality of food, and particularly the overall experience of your stay. Thank you again for your review and I do hope you continue to stay with us for years to come!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hammond
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN
Courtyard Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN
Ramada Hammond Hotel & Conference Center
Ameristar Casino Hotel East Chicago
Homewood Suites by Hilton Munster
BEST WESTERN Northwest Indiana Inn

Been to Residence Inn Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN? Share your experiences!