“Had a Reservation and arrived to no rooms available”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Hammond
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I made a reservation, 2 weeks in advance for a room. had a 3 hour drive from Illinois. We arrived at 11:30 pm with my printed out reservation in hand only to be told there were NO rooms available? I even called the Hotel at 4 pm to CONFIRM my late arrival and was told no problem, they would not my room I would be arriving late. After a long 45 min wait.. a room was somehow found for me.. but the extra stress and time that it took was upsetting. I had my son with me who was there for surgery in the am.. and this was the last thing we needed and also to lose an hour of sleep! Very upsetting!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BrendaWest2014
lora m, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

I wanted to take this opportunity to apologize for the extreme inconvenience that you experienced upon your arrival. I can only image the level of frustration you felt and can assure you, that is not normal practice for our hotel. Unfortunately, our front desk agent is new and apparently became somewhat confused. I do hope you will choose to stay with us again sometime in the future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Good point - right off the highway. Bad point - right off the highway. They provide ear plugs. We didn't need them as we have a white noise app. But request a low number odd room and you should be fine. Great rate for military. Breakfast included.

• Stayed: June 2014
lora m, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We truly appreciate receiving feedback from our guests.
We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Typically stay at Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express, but out of town guests selected this location for proximity to company facility. Apparently previous guests have complained about noise as there were 2 pair of ear plugs on the nightstand with a note explaining that the proximity to the interstate was a "blessing," but these were there just in case. I didn't notice the noise, actually.

Room was adequate and clean, it was equipped with a pair of full size beds. Somewhat surprising as I have been in queen or king beds the past two years of travel at Hilton and Holiday Inn's. The bed was soft and seemed to be missing something like springs. Laid down and felt like I was sinking to the floor. Bathroom had several hairs on the floor tucked into the corners.

The biggest issue I had was with the workout room. I scouted it out and thought maybe i had missed it as i was 2 rooms from the end of the hall and the exit but there it was. The room was about half as wide as a standard hotel room with a treadmill, exercise bike, exercise ball and dumbbell sitting there. It was more than enough, but so was the smell. Not sure if there was a gallon of post-workout milk that was left open somewhere in the room, but it was overwhelming. Needless to say, i skipped the workout that night.

There are many other choices in the area, including 2 other Marriott properties in the same parking lot. I won't be coming back and probably won't be trying my luck at others since I know and am more than happy with those options.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
lora m, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to rate your experience at the Fairfield Inn & Suites, I am truly sorry you were not satisfied our hotel. As for the flooring in the fitness center, it was installed during our recent renovation and the odor of the rubber is a struggle for us to contain. I also wanted to mention that we will be getting new beds this year so I do hope you will choose to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed here for business. Very clean facility, friendly staff, great breakfast. Close to interstate. They even leave ear plugs in case you are a light sleeper for possible noise volume. My overall experience was a good one and when I travel again on business I will plan to stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
lora m, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for your review of the Fairfield Inn & Suites, Chicago Southeast/Hammond. We are so pleased that you were happy enough with your stay to want to return. We will look forward to that visit!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Very clean, wonderful staff, great breakfast...but didn't realize that the beds were full beds and not queens. I asked at the desk about a room with two queens, but was told that they only had full beds in the double room. My poor daughter ended up sleeping on the floor because my son kicks in his sleep and the beds were way too small for two people. Nice tv and refrigerator. Pool area was nice also except for the napkin sized towels..lol.

Room Tip: Be advised that doubles have full beds, not queen beds so they are smaller.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
lora m, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to rate and write a review of your stay at our hotel. We appreciate feedback from our guests. I'm sorry the size of our double beds did not accommodate your needs. Maybe next time we could accommodate you with connecting rooms to give you the space and size that you need.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

We checked in last night and asked for a room away from the highway. We got one identified so but whether you are 15 or 30 feet away from the busiest trucking route in the country does it really matter? The walls are so flimsy in this building that you hear every bird outside (and there are plenty) so trucks are no match. One could get used to trucks but the every half hour train whistles are quite something. And to top it all, the hammock of a bed. Once you lay down, you need to roll out to get out. Stayed exclusively in marriott properties when one is available for the last 10 years and there is none worse than this.

Stayed: April 2014
lora m, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We appreciate feedback from our guests. Unfortunately the location of our hotel is not always satisfactory to our guests and is not something we can change. But at the same time it is a convenience to the highway travelers. As for our beds, we realize it is time for replacements and will be taking care of that soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Stayed here on 3 different occasions over the past three weeks. First stay was great. Was upgraded to an executive king for the same price I was originally quoted. Second stay was in a standard room with 2 double beds. One bed felt broken. Final stay I was in a king. I felt once the Fairfield knew I was staying there on 3 separate occasions, they forgot about me. Treated me like royalty on my first stay but then nothing. Yes, I am platinum with Marriott Rewards so I expect a little higher customer service.

Pool and hot tub were nice. Exercise closet, way to small to be called a room, was weak. One treadmill, an elliptical and some free weights.

Front desk staff was nice.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the highway
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank arejay37

Thank you for the review of your stay with us. We are truly sorry you were not 100% satisfied. Our work out room just went through a renovation and we are working on ordering another piece of equipment. As for the complimentary upgrade, we truly try to recognize our Platinum members with this courtesy, however it is based on availability.

Warm Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hammond
Hampton Inn & Suites Hammond
0 mi away
Courtyard Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN
Residence Inn Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN
Best Western Northwest Indiana Inn
Ameristar Casino Hotel East Chicago
5 mi away
Ramada Hammond Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN? Share your experiences!