“Nice, clean basic hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Howe Inn

BEST WESTERN PLUS Howe Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Howe
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Nice, clean basic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2009

I grew up in the Sturgis area. My family and I were in town to visit my parents and attend the St. Joseph County fair. Sometimes when we come to town we stay in a hotel, other times we stay at my parent's house depending on how many people are in town.

The Best Western is one of several hotels that are located around the Howe exit on the Indiana Toll Road. The Best Western is right on the border on the Indiana side (hence the Howe address). If you want a hotel as close to the Toll Road as possible, you can not get much closer than this place (see attached picture). Noise was not an issue. I never heard a single truck. Across the street is a Hampton Hotel. It is just barely across the border in Michigan so it has a Sturgis address.

The Best Western was pretty much what one would expect for a hotel in this price range. It was a clean, well maintained facility. It includes a small exercise room, a room with a washer/dryer, a small conference room, an indoor pool (no hot tub), and a breakfast area. The breakfast was the one disappointment about this hotel. It was a hot breakfast and included waffles, eggs, sausage links, biscuits, and gravy. Despite the fact that the sausage links were like no other I had ever seen, that would seem like a good start for a breakfast at a hotel in this price range. However, there was very little beyond those items. There was no yogurt, almost no fruit, no hard boiled eggs, and very little of anything else. If you want a better breakfast, stay at the Hampton across the street or drive 2 miles or so north into Sturgis and eat there.

We stayed in a room with two double size beds. We would have preferred two queen size beds but doubles are more common in this price range of hotel. The TV was a 20" tube style. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was clean. Wireless Internet is available throughout the hotel but it does not have a business center. We were not bothered by noise in other rooms or in the hall. There is no restaurant in the hotel but there are vending machines. The Golden Buda restaurant is next door.

If you happen to stay here during the third week of September, be sure to visit the St. Joseph County fair in nearby Centreville. It is an outstanding fair with a 150+ year history. My parents have visited county fairs throughout Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio and they believe this one to be easily in the top three if not the best of all the ones they have visited.

The Best Western is a good place to stay but I like Hampton across the street better. When I wrote my review on the Hampton earlier this year, I also included information on all the other hotels in the Howe Indiana/Sturgis Michigan area. Be sure to read my Hampton review listed on Trip Advisor under Sturgis Michigan.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2008

I stayed at the Best Western Howe a few years ago and liked it. This time I had a less enjoyable experience.

The room is clean and makes a good first impression when you walk through the door. Unfortunately, that good feeling wore off for me when it came time to turn out the lights. The wall are thin and I heard the TVs in the rooms on either side of me. Also, I heard a number of bangs as people walked around in those rooms, as well as in the corridor. Since I was on the top floor, I know the footsteps weren't coming from above. I did not sleep well.

The breakfast area is too small to seat more than a few people, and there isn't much choice in what to eat.

The tap water suffers from the same sulfurous odor that seems to affect every hotel in northeastern Indiana. (I've stayed at many of them.)

The Holiday Inn Express on the other side of the Toll Road is a possible alternative. I'm pretty sure it wasn't there in 2005 when I last stayed in Howe. Another alternative is the Hampton Inn in Sturgis, Michigan, which is only about a block away on the other side of the state line.

• Liked — right off the Toll Road
  • Disliked — no sound insulation
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank RoadsScholar62
Pittsford, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2008

Stayed for two nights the first weekend in September. We were headed to South Bend for our annual football trip. We stopped by the hotel on our way to campus to check in so we wouldn't have to worry about it when we returned late that night. Although we were there over an hour before the check in time, there was no problem. The front desk help was wonderful and we were pleasantly surprised to find a good size, very clean room. The bathroom was large and the small fridge and microwave were great for snacks. The hotel was quiet and had very easy access to the toll road. I had stayed here before and also at the Holiday Inn just south of the toll road. In the Holiday Inn, we could hear the traffic from the toll road.

We didn't take advantage of the breakfast either day as the kids slept in late the first morning and I basically put them in the car the second day so they could sleep on the way home.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The night clerk on Saturday was very helpful recommending a place to deliver pizza. Then, when the kids wanted to swim in the pool (which they said the water was really warm and "the best pool ever") while we waited for the pizza, the clerk kept an eye out for the delivery person and came to get us when the pizza arrived. She didn't need to do this and it was greatly appreciated.

While this is 40 miles from Notre Dame, it doesn't take long at all. The $ you save is well worth the drive. Plus, it makes the return trip that much shorter.

• Liked — large clean room
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
Milwaukee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2008

Over the fourth of July weekend, my husband and I were traveling to Ohio to visit family. We were going to try and drive as far as possible, which turned out to be Howe, Indiana. It was late and there was a torrential storm.

When we got off the tollway, the attendent directed us to the Best Western. Unfortunately, we couldn't find it! And we quickly realized that we couldn't find it because they had no power!

Finally, we found a driveway and flashed our brights and found the Best Western building. We were greeted warmly. They informed us they had lost power for a while and weren't sure when it would come back on. They offered us a discount and a flashlight! (And they had already placed flashlights outside of all the other guest rooms for anyone that might get up in the middle of the night!) We decided to stay!

A very nice young gentleman walked us to our room to make sure the spare key would allow us in the room. We settled in and opened the window to get some fresh air. The power did not come back on until almost 9 the next morning. While we showered and packed up, the staff got the warm breakfast ready for their guests. It even included a belgian waffle maker! It was great!

When checking out, they couldn't yet supply me with a receipt. They promised to mail me one. I wasn't concerned. They not only mailed it but called to let me know when they put it in the mail!

We travel to Ohio several times a year and from now on, we won't hesitate to stop at Best Western in Howe. Thanks for your hospitality! It was a great experience we will remember for a long long time to come!

• Liked — Wonderful staff!
  • Disliked — Hard to find in the dark!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2008

We stayed at the Best Western Howe Inn for just one night while returning from vacation on ther East Coast. This hotel is exceptionally nice for a Best Western. The rooms are very spacious and clean. Even though this hotel is right off the indiana Turnpike, the rooms are quiet.

The staff is very helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone passing through this part of Indiana or for people going to events at Notre Dame.

PS: If you are looking for a great place to eat, try Welch's Steak and Ribs in Sturgis, MI. This place is only about a mile or so north of the hotel. We both agreed that the steak dinner we had there is probably one of the best we have had anywhere in the world, and we have traveled to many places. They will also give you a 10% discount on your meal if you tell them you are staying at the Best Western and show your room key.

• Liked — size and cleanliness of the room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mass
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2007

If you're picky about cleanliness in a hotel like me, you should be very happy with this hotel. Our room was absolutely spotless, without the wear and tear usually seen in most hotels. One negative-- the breakfast. We didn't bother eating there.

Stayed June 2007
Lewis Center, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2006

We're Notre Dame fans and Howe, Indiana is the closest you can get to South Bend without having to pay increased rates and commit to a 2 night stay during football season. This is right off the toll road (80/90) so it's easy access for anyone going to a Notre Dame football game coming from the east. The rooms are clean, staff is nice and pool was enjoyed by my daughter. There's a basic breakfast included. There's a great steakhouse/sports bar just about 3 miles north of the hotel in Sturgis, MI that gives you a 10% discount if you show your hotel room key. They advertise in the hotel informational book that is in the room and the staff can give you directions, it's very easy. We've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at this exit and this Best Western is just as nice and cheaper!

• Liked — price
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Howe
Blue Gate Garden Inn - Shipshewana Hotel
The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana
Farmstead Inn
Farmstead Inn
#2 of 5 in Shipshewana
Hampton Inn Sturgis-Lagrange Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Middlebury
Quality Inn hotel in Fremont

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Howe Inn? Share your experiences!