“Overall a great stay”

Holiday Inn Express Howe
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Howe
Reviewed 17 April 2013

After reading some reviews, I have to wonder what people expect from a hotel... I really don't have anything bad to say about this hotel. When I checked in, Natasha was very friendly & helpful. There was fresh soup in the breakfast area that is brought in from one of the local restaurants, that was a wonderful thing after driving. Saved me from having to go get dinner. My room was fine - clean & in good condition. The bed was comfortable, although the pillows weren't my favorite. Fortunately, there were enough to find the right combination that worked. Breakfast was typical of hotel buffets, but was good. The mini omelets were good, as were the biscuits & gravy. I didn't get a chance to try the pool like I wanted, but the pool area was well kept & the pool was clean. I only had 1 glitch in my stay, and that was the 5:30am wake up call that I hadn't asked for, but otherwise, I had no problems at all. Everyone was nice to deal with, and made the stay good. I'd have no problem staying here again. It's right off the toll road, not far from Shipshewana.

Room Tip: Odd # rooms face the Toll Road which is right outside, Even number rooms face the front of the hotel...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
HolidayInn H, Front Desk Agent at Holiday Inn Express Howe, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2016

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you in the future

Reviewed 12 March 2013

I stopped at this property because it was convenient and between two customer sites. The staff was friendly. I did not have time to use the pool but noted that it had a handicap lift but no whirlpool. The workout room seemed to be in good shape.

The breakfast was not up to usual HI standards. The food items available were very limited, and although there was a staff member present, they did not replenish the food items despite it being only 8:45 so I left somewhat hungry.

My room was comfortable overall but was showing signs of age. For instance, the grout in the bathroom tile could really use some bleach and the furniture showed signs of wear. The exhaust fan made a loud racket and the heat unit seemed to show a great deal of difference between 67 and 68 degrees. My room faced the interstate and despite having a fully closed window the road noise was very loud and constant. I turned the heat unit on constant fan and put the TV on low and was able to drown out enough of the noise to get a good nights sleep. The bed was comfortable.

If I'm passing through again I think I might avoid this hotel and opt for one of the other ones just up the road and further from the interstate.

Room Tip: Rooms that are not facing the interstate are much quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Howe, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

Dear redwolf275,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. It is nice to know that you found the staff to be friendly and the room comfortable. I am truly sorry to hear that the food served during your travel did not live up to your expectations. In addition, I apologize for the not up to par expectation with the room. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 17 January 2013

There are a few reasons I stay at Holiday Inn Express hotels. However, the reason I'll drive an extra 22 miles to find myself a HIE is the BEDS! I've never had a better nights sleep in any other hotel because of the wonderfully comfortable beds!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for wonderful review we look forward to seeing you in future travels

Reviewed 22 December 2012

We stayed at the hotel for one night on a cross-country trip. The hotel was just average but the price was outrageous! Nearly $250 for one night because there was a local football game. Guess it was our poor planning or just bad luck, but we really felt taken.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Howe, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

Dear katie b,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I'm sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your stay with us. I have taken note of your comments and we will use this to further improve the service we provide. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 5 September 2012

We stay at Holiday Inn Express hotels because they are pet friendly and have a great breakfast. This one was very average.

Upon arrival the young lady that checked us in started to assist us then took a call. We waited. When the call ended she explained it was a call to set up the cleaning for the next day. She was very nice and friendly though.

Our room was very clean and the furniture was in good condition. Complaints: I didn’t like the bathroom. When you turned on the bathroom light a loud fan went on too. The shower had a stingy stream of water. The shower head could be adjusted but it went from standing in a light rain to standing under a bottle of water!

Breakfast was decent. Besides the usual cereal, rolls and yogurt they had scrambled eggs, ham and biscuits/gravy. The ham and eggs were a little dry (but we did go down at 9:00 when thy closed at 9:30). The biscuit was fresh and warm. I needed a tray to bring food for my husband back as well. The girl working there said they didn’t have trays but offered me a cardboard box lid which worked well. She was also very nice.

While my husband was getting ready, I thought I would bring some of our stuff to the car. As I was getting off the elevator, a cleaning lady asked “are you done in room #--- yet?” I thought this was weird but I told her no. My husband decided to bring the rest of our gear behind me. He saw the same cleaning lady who asked him the same thing. He said no, we were just getting cleaned up. She said “Yes, your wife just said the same thing”. We both felt like we were being rushed out – when check out wasn’t for 1.5 hours! Maybe she had somewhere to go....but this was weird. I never had this happen before. We went through the room quickly to make sure we didn't miss anything then left because we felt rushed.

The room rate was kinda high for this type of stay. Maybe I expected more but this was a very basic hotel for the price of a nicer place.

Overall it was a very average stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2012

My family and I have stayed at this hotel on a couple of different occasions on our travels between the East Coast and the Midwest. The hotel is conveniently situated right next to Interstates 80/94, but is still quiet in spite of the location. The hotel was clean and the staff were very helpful. The check-in process was easy and we encountered no problems here. If you are looking for an upscale hotel, then this is not the right place for you. But, if you are looking for a good, basic, family-friendly hotel that is clean and reasonably priced, then this hotel is a good fit.

We also like the location in that a morning departure by car gets us to Chicago after the bulk of the morning rush hour.

The only real downside was that there aren't many restaurants in the area, so come prepared to have already eaten dinner. The breakfast in the hotel is fine (typical Holiday Inn Express fare), but the eating area is crowded.

Room Tip: Though noise interference is minimum, rooms on the south side of the hotel are farther away from the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Several years ago, my wife and I happened upon this hotel on our way back from a road trip to New Jersey. We were blown away by the pristine condition of the facility. I believed the manager, Heather, was servicing the front desk. She was very friendly and professional. Because of this experience, we've been returning to HIE-Howe for our first night and last night on the road.
The staff is consistently professional, the rooms are consistently clean, even thought the property is losing some of it's pristineness. The free breakfast is good and the breakfast attendants are always attentive.
One pet peeve I have is the luggage cart. It has hard rubber wheels and makes quite a racket on the tile floor. It's disruptive to the front desk. The carts should have soft inflatable rubber wheels. This will prolong the life if the floors, cut the noise level, and calm the nerves of the guest using the cart.
I can only recommend rooms that DO NOT face the Interstate, unless you like dreams of non-stop semi trucks roaring by. Really annoying.
On July 31st, we checked into our non-smoking room and someone had smoked in it. Stale smell. The desk clerk immediately assigned us another room.
The water is nice and soft, a nice touch when using the provided soap.
You should have a "Guest of the Day" program like some of the other HIE's.

Room Tip: Always choose a room that DOES NOT face the Interstate.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Howe
Best Western Plus Howe Inn
Blue Gate Garden Inn - Shipshewana Hotel
Farmstead Inn
Farmstead Inn
#2 of 5 in Shipshewana
Hampton Inn Sturgis-Lagrange Area
The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana
Hampton Inn & Suites Middlebury

Been to Holiday Inn Express Howe? Share your experiences!