“So much to see, pack a picnic!”

Indianapolis Museum of Art
Ranked #4 of 177 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With a collection of more than 54,000 works of art, an early-20th-century estate, 152 acres of gardens and grounds, including an outdoor art and nature park, the IMA campus offers experiences that feed both the heart and mind.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 5 August 2014

One of Indiana's jewels for art, a sculpture park, and a gardener's paradise. Take a walk through the formal gardens, visit the greenhouses, stroll in the sculpture garden of 100 acres, tour the Eli Lily mansion. Spend at least 3 hours to see it all. Free parking at the greenhouses, free tour of the mansion, and touring the grounds is no charge. Outstanding attractions, bring the family, buy some exotic plants at the greenhouse, take lots of photos!

1  Thank JerryIndiana74
Write a ReviewReviews (1,247)

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the IMA! Beautiful works of art and sculptures that deepens my appreciation of Art and the artists. Everything is beautifully displayed and each floor has designated sections that displays art in accordance to the time and era. My daughter is an art student at Herron School of Art and Design at IUPUI and visited the IMA to choose a painting to write about for her Art History class. It must've been hard for her to narrow it down to one given the array of beautiful paintings. She got an A on her paper and so does the IMA!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I was dropping my daughter off at Butler and decided to visit the museum which is right next door. It was a wonderful visit and cannot wait to get back down to Indy to visit the museum(and my daughter!).

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We live in Indy and we cannot believe that the IMA is free. The Museum is small, but well curated. We have been with the whole family and I have taken the Brownie Troop there. We have always had fun. The grounds are worth a trip alone. The gardens are beautiful and inviting and the sculptures dotted around are delightful. A visit to 100 Acres is well-worth a visit too. We have had picnics there and our kids love how interactive the art is. It's fun to dance on the Funky Bones! Fans of John Green's book "The Fault in our Stars," will know what that is!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My 93 year old mother and I went to the IMA today and had a wonderful time. We got there at 11:50 with them opening at 12:00. There was a parking lot for $5.00 (non-members) but on asking there is a free handicap parking lot just to the left of the museum. We parked for free! We started with lunch at the museum. Very delicious with some items marked "gluten free". Then we toured the galleries of art. Great variety and selection of works well presented. Saw the neo-impressionists show ($12.00 each). Worth it to see Van Gogh self portrait. Rest of museum is free. Grounds are beautiful, 150 acres, with sculptures and gardens throughout. Will return for O'Keefe show opening Nov. 2.