“Never knew this place existed”

Indiana Historical Society
Ranked #28 of 166 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1830, the Indiana Historical Society has been Indiana’s Storyteller™, connecting people to the past by collecting, preserving, interpreting and sharing the state's history. A private, nonprofit membership organization, IHS maintains the nation's premier research library and archives on the history of Indiana and the Old Northwest and presents a unique set of visitor exhibitions called the Indiana Experience. IHS also provides support and assistance to local museums and historical groups, publishes books and periodicals; sponsors teacher workshops; and provides youth, adult and family programming.
Warsaw, Indiana
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Never knew this place existed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

This is a unique museum as there aren't very many displays but more or an interactive experience with individuals acting in character to describe events that have occurred in Indiana. My daughter enjoyed it much more then I thought she would and while it's not an all day type of place it's a good place to kill an hour. The charge 7 bucks for adults but they validate your parking which saves you 5 dollars.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank ddbii

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wonderful place ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I'm very impressed how nice is the place I amazed how we can go back in time and feel that way . This is great way to Lear about Indiana . The stuff is very friendly would highly recommended to my family and friend this is must see if you in Indianapolis also $7 is well worth !!!!!! Absolutely love it !!!!!

Tampa, Florida
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Beautiful as a Wedding Venue!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Ours was an atypical experience at IHS -- we didn't tour the attraction, but rather held my daughter's wedding there.
The venue is interesting and beautiful and the staff were very nice and accommodating.
I would highly recommend this venue for a beautiful and memorable wedding!

Visited March 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great Place to Spend Time With Family and Friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

A beautiful place aesthetically, it is hard to know just where you want to start. The full sized mastodon exhibit is exceptional.There is also a actual old grade school which was preserved and moved there, I believe from the 1920's so people can glimpse into the past. There is also an outstanding walk into the past,where you go through "smoke", etc... And you are in a time in the past, which was most recently the polio outbreak of the 50s. It is called "You are There". There are massive amounts of things to do there, great dining/picnic area, and SUPERB interactive exhibits. It is relatively inexpensive and there are some areas that can be visited without a charge. Christmas is outta sight there with a great North Pole train.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Jo P
Ohio
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Wonderful place to spend an hour or two!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

First of all, I must admit that I love downtown Indianapolis...especially the sights around the canal. My daughters and I were at the Lucas Oil stadium for the BOA competitions and had some time to kill so we walked from there to the Historical museum, as I had not been to that one before. It was a brisk day so it took us about 10-15 minutes to get there. I had read about it online and was looking forward to the Cole Porter exhibit. I was not disappointed!!! The gentleman singing songs by request had a wonderful voice and sang about 6-7 songs for us until my daughters drag me away to see more. I could have stayed listening to him all afternoon. I was quite impressed with the Time Travel display featuring a photography studio of 1904 and the 1913 flood. Being from Dayton, Ohio which also was affected by that flood, it was quite interesting to walk into a flood relief center and listen to first hand stories so well conveyed by the actors. The photography studio was also interesting and it was a treat to have our picture taken the old fashioned way. The bonus was that we could go to the site online and view our picture that was taken. Did not have time to see any other areas, but plan on returning. The gift shop had interesting items, including a wonderful buy of a 3 set CD of Cole Porter music and a book filled with interesting facts about him and other performers featured on the CD. Beautiful surroundings compliment the experience. The $7.00 admission was well worth the fee.

Visited November 2013