“A great way to learn about Indiana History”

Indiana Historical Society
Ranked #27 of 178 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1830, the Indiana Historical Society has been Indiana’s Storyteller™, connecting people to the past by collecting, preserving, interpreting and sharing the state's history. A private, nonprofit membership organization, IHS maintains the nation's premier research library and archives on the history of Indiana and the Old Northwest and presents a unique set of visitor exhibitions called the Indiana Experience. IHS also provides support and assistance to local museums and historical groups, publishes books and periodicals; sponsors teacher workshops; and provides youth, adult and family programming.
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This was a fun way to spend some time learning about Indiana's history! Located right on the canal, it is a beautiful building with lots of information that you could spend the entire day learning. They also have great reenactment exhibits where you "step back in time" and the people you talk to tell you the history of that time period as if they were living in it! I would highly recommend if you're interested in history or if you want to plan a school field trip

1  Thank Steve E
"early days"
"step back in time"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The "Picture This" experience, complete with period specific characters, was fun and informative. Thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the doctor's sister!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is my second time at the museum. I loved it more this second time around. My children ages 13 & 9 enjoy learning about the history of Indiana. The best part is the interactive "You Are There" sites which take you back in time to a point in history based on a photograph. The knowledge that the actresses and actors have is remarkable. It is like you have stepped back into time with the actual people sharing that moment. You get to ask a variety of questions and they share their knowledge with you. We easily spend 3-4 hours there and it feels like an hour. There is a cafe on site which is next to the canal which is a beautiful scenic spot. The food is good but pricey. The shop has a variety of finds including Cole Porter music which after attending the Cole Porter room is a must buy. I bought a couple CDs for my father as a gift. It is such a gift to have this type of museum. The amount of work that is put into the interactive exhibits is amazing. I highly recommend this museum if you enjoy learning about history and want to feel as though you were apart of this much earlier point in time. It was brought to my attention that the museum does a "Christmas Story" You Are There exhibit during the holidays. I was told it is very popular and I might consider returning for it in the future. I am definitely keeping this museum on my "To Do" list as I monitor future exhibits.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Decided that this year we were going to see the town we lived it. It came to our attention that we knew more about San Antonio that our hometown. This is a little known, oft overlooked treasure house. Several rooms which create glimpses of the past. Had our photo taken (for free) at the turn of the century photographer's studio. Was serenaded (for free) at the Cole Porter room. Learned about the great flood of 1933 (for free) at the Indy under water room. Saw the first African American doctors office. Lots of other things. And on Thursdays from 4-8 it is (you guessed it) free. Great place to listen to the concerts on the canal. Just a great place to go.