“Ansel Adams Exhibit & Western Art”

The Eiteljorg Museum
Ranked #17 of 179 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: The museum houses Indian artifacts, as well as works by famous Western artists.
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I had been to this museum probably 15 years ago to look at the western and Indian art. We returned a few weekends ago when I found out they were hosting an Ansel Adams exhibit. This museum is FANTASTIC. The Adams exhibit was PACKED and yet it was very easy to look around and view the art. We spent probably an hour in this exhibit alone.

Wanting to make the most of our time we also visited all the other exhibits. If you love western themes, native American art, cowboy related things this is the place for you! The Remington bronzes are exquisite and they have an amazing Maynard DIxon painting. Their Native American collection is vast and well worth seeing. In the spring/summer they have an expansive garden. We will probably return just for that.

We were in the museum for about 4 hours and we viewed every exhibit. We also went into the gift store which is very nice. They have a cafe on site as well but it was closed when we visited.

As a tip, take your parking garage pass into the museum with you and they will give you a ticket so your parking is free! The Indiana State Museum is also right next door so you might want to check that out as well.

All reviews
in 16 reviews
"second floor"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Eiteljorg Museum is fascinating. You can see Indian exhibits of all kinds. There is a special area where the kids can enjoy exhibits especially for them including sitting in a stagecoach and trying on pioneer and Indian clothing. I especially enjoyed the Jingle Rails at Christmastime. Loved watching the trains rolling around scenes depicting different parts of our country. It's a must see! Great place for the family.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Loved the patio/cafe - had a cup of coffee outside while my friends finished up the exhibit. Great place to visit if you are into Native American history.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

The Ansel Adams exhibition was the icing on the cake here - all the standard exhibits are fascinating. I enjoyed the basement, where we found out how totem poles are carved and how luxurious a leather-upholstered stagecoach could feel. I enjoyed the ground floor, with its fascinating array of depictions of America and of native Americans from a whole variety of perspectives And I enjoyed the upper floor, with its focus on the art and culture of different regions, from the bright sandy colours of the south west, to the whalebone carvings of the northwest. Fascinating to see art throughout the museum so strongly rooted in the American landscape. My only regret was that the shop sold so few postcard reproductions of the art on display - there were many pictures I would like to have shared with family and friends.