“Valentine's Stay”

Indy Hostel
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Valentine's Stay”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Very clean, quiet, friendly service, well stocked bathroom, flexible hours coming & leaving, reasonable price, lots of parking, easy to find, close to many restaurants & movie theaters. Would go back again.

Room Tip: singles room was really good, had one small window so in the morning the room stays darker if trying...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Nelsonville, Ohio
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We had planned to stay at a B&B, but due to roof damage from the unusual ice and snow, that reservation was cancelled two days before our trip. We were very glad to find the Indy Hostel on line--our stay was much preferable to being in a downtown, expensive hotel or a motel on the usual interstate strip! Our room was brightly painted and unpretentiously but comfortably furnished, and we shared two bathrooms with other guests on our floor. Common rooms on the ground floor have television and computers with Internet access, and guests are welcome to use the full kitchen. The host who greeted us was quick to recommend local restaurants. In fact, the neighborhood is one of the main attractions. The Monon Rail Train runs right past the Hostel; the street is quiet, and at times other than a month of record snow levels would be a wonderful place to walk. A few blocks north is the Broad Ripple quarter, full of unique shops and restaurants. We spent most of our time out and about, but would welcome the chance to visit again and spend more time talking with the hosts and other guests. We'll definitely recommend the Indy Hostel to friends.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
IHMGMT, Manager at Indy Hostel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for the nice review Celeste. I hope the shows you saw while in Indianapolis were enjoyable as well. If you have a chance to return bring your bikes along, we will take you on some of our favorite trails!
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I stayed there one night for a conference I had the following morning. I was nervous since this was my first hostel experience, but I came in during a local entertainment in the downstairs area. I was confused for a bit, but an employee found me set me up in my room. It was quiet, comfortable, safe, and the other guests were really nice. I wish I could have experienced more of the hostel than just the bed, but it fit my needs. For the cost, you can't find any better stay in Indy, especially if you enjoy meeting new people. They also texted me prior to arriving to find out when I would arrive, which was nice and appreciated.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
IHMGMT, Manager at Indy Hostel, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
We couldn't be happier that your first hostel stay was positive. Any first experience may come with some apprehension so we do our best to make guests as welcome and comfortable as possible. Hopefully your conference was an equal success and you will stay with again in the future.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I only stayed here one night, but I will totally come back if I ever find myself in Indianapolis again. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and knowledgeable about the area. The guests were also fun to talk to and hang out with. Indy Hostel seems to have lots going on, if I were local I would check out their events. The Hostel is far from downtown, but in a pretty cool area with plenty going on. The Sinking Ship is a great hangout spot within walking distance, and there are restaurants nearby too. It's in a cute house on a safe street. There is plenty of bedding and bathroom space. The basement is a bit cold, but they provided a space heater which worked really well. I'm glad I chose to stay at Indy Hostel for my one night in Indianapolis.

Room Tip: The basement is a bit cold, but they provided a space heater which worked really well.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank CTraft
IHMGMT, Manager at Indy Hostel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
We are very happy you enjoyed yourself with us. And of course, you are welcome to stay again if you find yourself in Indianapolis. The Sinking Ship has recently gotten a nice make-over and we can't wait for the weather to break and warm up here as well.
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed here for two nights as a single traveller and found the staff very welcoming and friendly. The hostel was clean and offered everything I wanted for the short stay, and there were organised events too like music gigs. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014
IHMGMT, Manager at Indy Hostel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you Anna, we had a nice time getting to know you. I hope the rest of your trip home is going well and you will be back in the States in the near future.
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

The host manager is very nice to tenants from all over the world. The only trouble is that the if you go in winter, the heater is not working well. The trails nearby is a good choice for jogging and biking zealots. I advice you bring some snacks with you since there is not a big grocery nearby.

Stayed January 2014
Indiana
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

Indy Hostel is located in a former private residence just south of Broadripple Village in Indianapolis at roughly 49th Street and College Avenue.

I opted for the private suite which is really just a former bedroom with a stand up shower, toilet, and sink shoehorned into the corner of the room.

The hostel experience is probably better served in one of the many dorms. And the dorm rates are very favorable.

I stayed here because of the proximity to Broadripple Village and the ease of getting around Indy from College Avenue. The private suite rate is pretty good, too, but plan ahead as there is only one suite available and it is very popular.

I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013
IHMGMT, Manager at Indy Hostel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank you for the great review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and hope that you return. Don't forget, if you have a large group we do have Private dorms that can accommodate 4 to 5 guests.