“Great Hotel”

Ranked #14 of 180 Hotels in Indianapolis
North Aurora, Illinois
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We were in Indianapolis for the weekend for a convention. All the hotels downtown were booked up, so we had to go a bit further out. This was a very nice, very clean hotel. The breakfast was above average (I loved the seasoned potatoes), and the Soda machine open at breakfast and at night was also a bonus. The popcorn machine was nice for a night snack as well.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Czech first
La Crosse
Reviewed 17 August 2013

What a nice place! All the staff we encountered were friendly, smiling and helpful. The room was nicely furnished, beds and pillows comfortable; the inn was very quiet despite being near capacity. This inn offers free beverages between 5:30 PM and 7 PM. What was much more appreciated and unexpected was the food to accompany it! We had enough for a full meal-appetizers, salad, soup, potatoes, pasta and some type of meat entrée both nights. How relaxing after a hard day on the road. The breakfast was equally as plentiful and varied, from cold cereal to waffles to fresh fruit to eggs/bacon or sausage and all types of breads. Neither buffet ran out of food. We had to check out a day early, absolutely no problem. We definitely would stay here again

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Cathy S
Florida
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We have never been disappointed with a Drury and this was certainly no exception. A comfy, clean room, great bed and quiet for sleeping. We enjoyed the KickBack food and a drink upon arrival which meant we didn't need to get back in the car and search for a place to eat. Breakfast was so good. Eating a good breakfast with protein means we feel better to start the next day's drive.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Had 2 room suite with my kids. Enjoyed being able to put them to bed and having a lovely tv/lounge room complete with a recliner. Got to hotel early to take part in the happy hour/dinner till 7. Made for a nice dinner complete with healthy choices and drinks, including a bar with 3 drinks per person. Albeit small. Kids loved the indoor/outdoor pool. Very clean and quiet room. Breakfast very nice the next am and liked the newspaper. A little pricey, but bought online in advance to save. Worth the splurge

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Indiana
Reviewed 6 August 2013

My last review indicated my disappointment over not having a roll away available after being told one would be in my room when I arrived. This time, I was told that none were available even though I requested one when booking the room 3 months ago. Thankfully I did not need one desperately. I gave this hotel an average ranking, because I still think the hotel is fine for a night or two if you are visiting Indy. I have to agree with other reviewers when they say the quality has declined. I am sure it is the management. While I had no issues with the front desk (they were friendly), I do have issues with the rules of the hotel.

What would I change to make it better? Enforce and change the pool rules. From 10 to 11 pm adults 18 and over only in the pool area. No one under 14 allowed in the whirlpoolat all. No one under 14 in the pool area without adult accompaniment. No one under 14 in the workout room at all. On this visit I experienced many issues with the pool and workout area. Many of which could have resulted in a lawsuit for the hotel. Other reviewers have mentioned this in the last several months, but as of August 1st , no action to remedy it has been taken. One night while in the whirlpool trying to relax, I had an approximately 8 year old boy jump over my head from behind and land a huge cannonball jump into the middle of the whirlpool. I looked around to see if one of the 3 adults present would say something to him. Not a word. Of course there were 30 kids in the pool and I doubt if the 3 parents present owned all of them. The next night there were 10 kids under the age of 8 swimming in the whirlpool. diving under the water with goggles and touching my legs. Once again, no parents in sight. The third night I waited until 9:45 pm to go down to the pool area. It was nearly empty with 4-5 boys swimming outside and just one lone 4 or 5 year old girl in the whirlpool. she wore goggles and swam under the water mostly. When she got in the pool, she put on swimmies(inflated arm bands) because she couldn't touch over there. When I asked her who she was here with, she said my mom is upstairs. She said I could come down by myself. She was a sweet thing, but I worried for her safety in the pool area ad on her way back to the room, and in the elevator. Anyone could have stolen her away. What kind of parent leaves a 5 year old go to the pool alone? The hotel should have taken action. Hotel workers were in the area all 3 night and did nothing to control the kids or their behavior. The posted sign said children were to be accompanied by an adult, but the rules aren't being enforced.

Housekeeping-- I am all for saving trees and being green, but I do want new towels and the beds made every day. Vacuuming and table washing, I can live without. In my 4 night stay the bed was never made, and I went down to the lobby for my own towels. THERE WAS NO HOUSEKEEPING DONE TO MY ROOM. I did see them in the hall and one day told the woman my room needed made up. I don't think she spoke English.

Some of the problem is the clientele, which isn't the hotels fault. There was a full cup of beer on the floor outside one of the rooms I passed by. Not sure why they didn't dump it in the sink if they didn't want it.
I also watched a woman bring 2 pairs of manure and straw covered cowboy boots into the hotel elevator(State Fair week). The manure fell on the floor and the elevator stunk for 2 days afterward.

The evening snacks were a zoo of screaming kids and yelling parents. I did appreciate the free soda and drinks. I just got my snacks and went to the room instead of using the lounge.

Even with all of the "problems" I still think this hotel is a good place for a night or two. The even numbered rooms face Interstate 69, and the odd numbers face the frontage road. Whle the interstate even numbered rooms are noisier than the odd numbered rooms, I still slept fine.(I live in the country and am used to silence at night). Rooms ending in 13 and 15 are next to the elevator. This could be loud depending on how full the floor is. Sunday night was very quiet.

Hoping this review(being long), will bring some welcome changes to my next stay here. I know many of you wouldn't believe I would ever come back, but I will try it again when I visit Indy.

Room Tip: The even numbered rooms face Interstate 69, and the odd numbers face the frontage road. Whle the int...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank babusIndiana
Elkhart, Indiana
Reviewed 29 July 2013

After just leaving a Hyatt that I loved, I didn't expect much from a Drury having never stayed at one before. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was cleanly and very nicely appointed. Staff was friendly. We stayed here only one night on our way home from a trip, but it was close to restaurants and a Trader Joe's (we don't have one at home so I was excited to stock up on the way). No complaints!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Taylorsville, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed at the Drury NE this past weekend. I had a couple of thoughts...

Overall, the hotel was great. The room was pretty, everything seemed neat and well kept. We loved the three-drink-per-adult cocktail hours! I expected a very limited bar with just a couple of drinks, but they were able to make most of what I wanted. The food was good, for free. As someone said, it was pretty repetitive. They would benefit from some kind of rope to put up to move people through the line - it was pretty chaotic with so many guests trying to eat at once. People dodging in and out of line made everything worse. Putting up a rope barrier to direct traffic flow along the buffet area would be a good idea. We made dinner out of this one night - but if you aren't into hot dogs, mac and cheese, nachos, etc, you'll want to go elsewhere. I called it 'Eat Like a Preschooler Day'.

The three main complaints I had about the hotel were:

- The teenager-centric clientele. As previous reviewers commented, for some reason this hotel is a mecca for high school male athletes who were, by and large, rude, loud, and extremely annoying. The pool is too small for the hotel, especially when you factor this in. When we were there, a group of seven guys were on the outside half of the pool, working in concert to make huge waves that were so big they were lapping over the INSIDE half of the pool and running down and getting people's stuff wet. They also took my niece's Disney princess innertube that she had set down and could not swim without and were playing frisbee with it. This is not the hotel's fault - but families with small children might want to keep this in mind, or at least get your swim time in earlier in the day. This particular clientele also impacted the buffet, descending on it like a swarm of locusts.

On the upside, there wasn't noticeable noise for us when we were in the room. The pool though was incredibly loud.

- There are not enough luggage carts, especially for such a crowded hotel. I think there were only two.

- The mattresses and pillows. Oh... my... god. I have never slept on a worse hotel bed in my life. The mattresses were not firm at all, and were soft but not cushiony. That feeling like a bed has half the springs it's supposed to. The pillows (which they fortunately gave us plenty of) felt like they were filled with air that would woosh down to nothing as soon as you put your head on them. It took me three pillows to make the height of the pillow I use at home. So be sure to bring your own pillow.

- The A/C smelled musty when it came on. When it was on, it was freezing, and when it was off, it was hot and humid. We had a hard time getting it to a comfortable spot.

This makes it sound bad, but I know that when I'm reading reviews, I care more about the negatives than the positives, so I hope this is useful for people.

On the plus side, the staff were super nice... everyone I met wished me a good morning or a good evening, offered a smile, and seemed happy to be of help. The amenities the hotel offers in the way of food and drink are really convenient and we enjoyed them.

Another interesting thing I have mixed feelings about is the shift to dispensers in the shower for shampoo, etc. On one hand, I'm sure this is better for the environment, but on the other hand, I wouldn't put it past some of those hoodlum teenagers (I'm starting to sound like my grandparents) to tamper with those and put Nair in the shampoo, or something. I didn't have that thought until after I got back home.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family