“Great stay and they value veterans”

Extended Stay America - Indianapolis - Airport - W. Southern Ave.
Ranked #101 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great stay and they value veterans”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Was in Indianapolis for Veteran's day and the hotel gave me a discount as a veteran. I had to be at the University downtown, took the shuttle to airport and then bus downtown to University. . There is an on-call shuttle to airport as well as Amtrak! NO taxi needed!! There was a kitchen, living room, bedroom and bath. The staff was amazing.

Room Tip: A bit remote for someone without a car, but there is a 24Hr on call shuttle. Indianapolis DOES NOT h...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Booked 5 rooms for Christian Men Conference that was held at the Indy Convention Center. First of all, Jason the manager was awesome to work with. He help me with some errors of my part with the reservation since I made the reservation with Priceline . But Jason did the best he could do to make us all happy and ready for our conference. If your looking for great customer service, clean rooms and great service at a good price. Call Jason.

Tammy was also great. She always welcomed us with a smile at the lobby and gave us free popcorn. Thanks for Popcorn Tammy.

PV.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
godfrey
Reviewed 8 October 2013

It was a large space with a full kitchen for under 100 dollars. That's a great value. Only complaints are, the toilet ran periodically throughout the night on it's own and the sleeper couch in the room needed a good shampoo. It was dirty and stained.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank hyperchck06
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Hi everyone. I travel a lot and try to book the cheapest hotels that still have good reviews. There are positives and negatives for this hotel. It was not horrible, I had a good stay, but the cons would make me choose somewhere else for the future. I will start with the Pros

PROS
-In a good neighborhood. It is in walking distance to a gas station where you can buy bread, milk, beer, coffee, ext. It is also in walking distance to a waffle house and a Denny's.
-It has a hotel shuttle
-It has a "grab and go" breakfast - please understand that this is just coffee and oatmeal packets, muffins, granola bars and apples or oranges. That is it. I heard a lot of complaints about this. I think it is nice to have, as long as you understand this is all you get, it should not be a con. It is minimal but what was there was good.
-It has spacious rooms and a kitchenette
-There is a workout center
-The rooms are for people who will be staying a long time, and there was A LOT of space to stow things. Lots of shelf area and places to put stuff. I really really liked the layout of the rooms!!! A+ on that!!

CONS
-The biggest con is the detail to cleaning. Almost everything was stained. The bathtub was extremely dirty, big dark marks all over the bottom. The chair in my room had stains all over it. The carpet was dirty and would make your socks dirty. The chairs in the dining hall next to the lobby had stains all over them. It just seemed like EVERYTHING had stains on it. The hotel and rooms were overall taken care of okay, the were relatively clean, but the deep cleaning is very lacking and it can be found EVERYWHERE!!!!! This was also shown in the towels and things. It was just me in the room but I went through two or three towels because there were huge stains on many of them, or hairs ground into the fibers... there is no way the workers so not see these huge stains when they fold them.. I do not understand why they do not switch them out.
- Unfriendly / Understaffed staff. My keycard deactivated daily?? as did many other people's cards. When I would go to get it fixed there would be a note that they staff would return within 5 min. Whenever I needed the front desk for something that sign was up. I had to continually wait for them every time. I find that to be very bad service. Also very late at night there is no one at the desk. I left to go to the airport at 4am and the front desk was closed down... not good if you needed something at that time
-The phones in the room did not work.. I could not even call front desk
- I waited just over an hour for a shuttle to the hotel and I had to call 3 times to keep reminding them or to get updates. They never took my name or number to make sure I was picked up - and there was no apology when I arrived.
-The staff is not friendly - I felt like I was putting them out whenever I asked for a shuttle or asked for my keycard to be activated.. =(
-They do not clean your room daily. This was not an issue to me. I didn't mind giving my room a quick cleaning before I left for the day but for as much as you pay for the room it should be included, especially for as dirty as the rooms were.
-The beds were hard

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank shelaila
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Rooms are not cleaned dailey. Bathroom tiles had mildew on it. One room while I was staying three had bed bugs a child staying in the room was bitten and had to be taken to the doctor. Another room had ants on the carpet. If you want fresh towels you have to take your dirty towels to the front desk and exchange them for clean ones. I personally have been here for 7 days and not once has my room been cleaned.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank NealRenee A
Marysville, Oh
Reviewed 6 May 2013

First of all- all in all I won't be staying here again.
I will say the bed was clean and comfortable. One of my pillows stunk so I swapped it out with the other one and it was fine.
The carpet in the entire hotel is pretty darn filthy.
The bathroom appeared to be clean except for the shower curtain that needed to be washed.
The dishes in the cabinet were still dirty and to use a cup I made sure I rewashed it before using.
I thought the grab and go breakfast would offer yogurt cups, bagels or toast. Granola bars, individual heat oatmeals, and coffee pretty much summed it all up. I certainly wasn't expecting a hot breakfast.. but this was really a let down.
I didn't have super high expectations, but this was less than great.

Room Tip: Bring your own bagels to heat in the toaster. I actually did bring bagels with us on this trip as my...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dgtlgrl
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Indianapolis - Airport - W. Southern Ave., responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that the carpets and shower curtain were dirty and that you were not satisfied with the breakfast options. We are in the process of replacing guest room as well as corridor carpeting to ensure that complaints such as yours do not happen again in the future. The entire company changed the breakfast options in January of this year and introduced the new "Grab N Go" feature. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate the feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at ina@extendedstay.com. I hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

About the only thing that looks shiny and new here is the bright Extended Stay America sign on the side of the building. Well, that and parts of the immediate entrance area/lobby. It appears that the pool area is nice and clean, but, it's off-season, so it is not yet open. The breakfast is not so continental. I echo many of the other reviews regarding the desperate need for an upgrade in nearly all areas: beds, carpets, televisions, furniture. They seem to have regular accounts with certain companies who house employees or trainees there week-in and week-out, so those ongoing contracts with a built-in, dependable customer base to fill a certain percentage of the rooms might be the justification at the corporate level for not feeling that they need to bring this property up to snuff. It's dingy and smokey-smelling. It's obvious that people smoke in the non-smoking rooms and little, if anything, has ever been done to curb this or to de-stench the rooms. It's sad. It could be a nice place. It has good bones. It is impossible to pay attention to the details that make all the difference to a guest if there simply not enough staff members on duty. The few housekeepers seem to work hard, but they don't service the rooms daily (the justification is that since you are supposedly staying for more than a night or two, you shouldn't have the need for fresh linens and towels daily; oh, and this, coincidentally, is something that helps them be kinder to our environment...Really?! I'd believe it if everything were generally well-maintained, a hallmark of quality in the hospitality industry. But, this place, quite frankly, just isn't.) I'm sure it serves the purposes of its company accounts, but it is lacking in most regards for anyone else.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Indianapolis - Airport - W. Southern Ave., responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. The situations you described regarding the level of cleanliness in your guest room and the smoke odor throughout the hotel are truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. To prevent this from happening again, my team is deep cleaning guest rooms in an effort to provide our guests with great rooms at great prices.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at ina@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.