“Amazingly sensual”

Sybaris Indianapolis
Reviewed 11 July 2011

The room was breathtaking. The pool and jacuzzi were amazingly relaxing and I was happy with the cleanliness of the facility. Customer service was great. Our cascade did not work but they refunded $75 to our credit card to compensate, no questions asked. I will go back whenever I have a chance again! Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Please keep your tips about rooms only
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank INCABB

Reviewed 6 July 2011

Great place to go to relax with your mate clean room. Would be more worth the price if they had beverages and snacks at least. Overall a nice place to stay and get away

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Ilove2travel84
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Tina Fey said it best, "I want to go to there". I'm not sure how 18hours can feel like a vacation but it did!! We rented the Magestic Swimming Pool suite. First, this complex is in an urban not an industrial area or strip mall as described in one review. Plus, it's self contained and gated so it felt secluded even if it wasn't. I was a little hesitant since I heed my fellow travelers advice 9 times out of 10. I was very pleasantly surprised at the whole experience.
Our suite was immaculately clean and so spacious--not seedy or cheesey. It is what you make it, so for us it was time to relax and unwind without interruptions. There are a couple of adult programming channels, ahem, but if you don't like don't look, right? You really do lose track of time without windows in your room. My advice: spend as much time as possible in the Sharper Image massage chair and the "steamroom". My husband couldn't get me out of the steamroom it was sooo relaxing to hang out in a chair under a waterfall shower with steam all around you-ugh-heavenly. The pool is heated and felt great but the pool waterfall always felt a little cool, didn't use that much.

A little pricey for sure so definately google for a coupon or call before you go to ask if they have any special rate promotions. I found one on coupons.com that saved me $50-yay.

Room Tip: The best rates are m, tu, wed almost 1/2 off reg
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Jennybee32
Reviewed 26 May 2011

Stayed the night in the paradise room and it was the best time every telling everyone they need to stay there for at least two nights one just not long enough. We would do it again in a heart beat so if you have time and have a babysitter take the time even if its close to home and enjoy a night or two you will not regret it promise i sure didnt.

Room Tip: get room with pool and waterfall
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank heather1979_11
Reviewed 21 May 2011

We were celebrating our anniversary and stayed in the deluxe suite. After staying there, I think the price is too high, but we really did have a good time. The only edge they have in my mind are the massage chairs. Lots of hotels have an in-suite jacuzzi. The room was immaculate. We tried pretty much everything. I wish we could have afforded to stay multiple nights, honestly. I do think that room service would be nice and it would be nice if they had drinks and snacks available. Their toiletries are above average. You usually get soap and shampoo, but they also had mouthwash, toothbrush, tooth paste, q-tips, etc. I liked the mood lighting and the star light was awesome to sleep to. I actually want one at home haha. The outside looks as though it has been improved, but there were spots that could look better (mostly by the office--fence behind it was run down and ghetto looking. I loved that the TV could be moved so you could see it from anywhere in the room. The bed and pillows were definitely not as comfortable as most hotels. It almost had the feel of an air mattress--NOT for me. I like softer beds.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lisams1983
Reviewed 18 May 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary. We checked in early, for an additional fee. The lady at check-in was borderline rude. She said, in a clipped town, "name? Need your license number and ID. You're in x room. Any questions call." That is all she said, with pauses in between each sentence. She couldn't even bare to say full sentences. She was extremely unfriendly. My husband and I just looked at each other.

Anyway, we went to our cabin/cottage to check it out. The outside of the office and cottages are very under maintained. We were scared to see the inside, since the outside was badly taken care of. Fortunately, while the rooms are quite outdated, seem to be "kept up." They look like they are taken care of and cleaned well. I was ok with the room, since it was clean, but for the HIGH cost, I think the outside needs some major care and the inside could stand for new carpet, furnishings, and decorations. The pool/shower/spa area looked quite nice. After looking around, we decided to go to the nearby shopping area to look around and also purchase drinks and snacks. (Sybaris provides an empty fridge and they do not have room service)

When we returned we noticed it was extremely hot in the room. I figured the air conditioning had not been turned on. I pushed the down button, to lower the set temperature, and noticed, not only was the air turned on, it was set to 66. The temperature was 73 in the room. Housekeeping or the previous guests must have noticed the heat and turned it WAY down.

Obviously, since it had been set to 66 for at least 2 hours (we had checked in 2 hours ago) the air conditioning was not working. We decided to wait 1/2 hour, just to make sure the temp. wasn't from us leaving the door open for a minute or two while unloading the stuff we bought from the store. A half an hour goes by, and it says it is 75 in the room. We call the front desk and a maintenance guy comes by. He says that something in the unit had frozen because it had not been turned on for awhile, and the very low temperature it was set at, froze it. (I have no idea what the means, but I'm simply stating what he said) He said give it a half an hour, it should start to go down. 45 minutes later it is 77 in the room. By that point, it was miserable. My husband walks down to the office to tell them we simply cannot take this heat. We need a different room. He came back and said that we needed to go check out another cottage. They gave him the key to it. On the 30 seconds there, he tells me that the front desk lady (a different one than before) gave him a lecture about the temperature. She said that it was OUR fault the air conditioner froze, as it is not capable to go below 72 degrees. That is ridiculous. 1. WE DID NOT SET IT TO 66, it was that way before we checked in!!! 2. This place is so expensive, you should have a good air conditioner, that can go below 72 degrees (not anything crazy, but come on, 70 degrees is not too much to ask for) 3. If for some reason, the air conditioner does not work properly (which it SHOULD) at least post a sign or verbally tell us not to set it below 72, otherwise how the heck would guests know!? 4. Again, for the price of this place (or even at a cheap place!), you should not yell or talk to guests in such a rude, condescending, blaming manner. Especially, when we have dealt with a very hot room for the last hour and now have to pack up our stuff and move! It is a pain in the butt.

We walk into the new cottage. I walk the 6 steps from the front door to the door of the pool area. The phone rings. My husband walked into the pool area to check it out, and I answered the phone. I thought, maybe the office is trying to be nice, and see how we like the room! WRONG. I get an angry voice on the phone. "Mrs. X!? You left all of your items in the old room." I reply yes, we wanted to make sure this room was clean, acceptable, and cool before we pack all of our stuff up and find out that this room is even worse than our original room. She raises her voice even more, and says, "We need you to get everything out of that room in the next 5 minutes. Housekeeping is waiting outside and needs to clean it before the next guest checks in at 6:00 (it was 5:30). We do not have time to wait on you."

Ok, as I said my husband came back to our original room and told me to get up and check out the other room. He did not come inside, just opened the door and said that. I stand up, put my flip-flops on, walk out the door. We get into his car, drive 25-30 seconds to the other cottage. We get out, walk in the door and the phone rings. So basically we have been "wasting their time" for approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Is that really ridiculous of us? I tell her that she needs to calm down (as she was yelling) and that we have been here for less than a minute, and we will come to get our stuff when we make sure this room is acceptable, I then hang up. I peep my head in the shower/toilet area. My husband says the pool/steam room is fine, we walk out the door. We are back at the original room and pack and leave within 10 minutes of receiving the second key.

The other room was basically the same as the first, except cooler. I liked the pool. That was very nice and different than any hotel I have been at. We brought several dvds with us, but unfortunately the dvd player did not come with a remote. It was quite annoying as we brought television shows on dvd, so after an episode was done (25 min) we had to get up and mess with the player. Fortunately, the tv had a remote. It was quite convenient that there was a sound system that had speakers not only in the bedroom area, but also in the pool area.

The bed was kind of hard, which is ok if you like hard beds (we don't!). You might want to bring your own pillows as their pillows are very hard and uncomfortable.

Basically, I don't recommend this hotel. I think if we had been treated with respect, I would probably recommend it, regardless of the problems. However, considering we were yelled at several times, blamed for their a/c unit failing, and had to switch rooms, while being yelled at, instead of them being apologetic, I will not recommend this place.

I think that if they updated the whole place and hired staff that were not ridiculously rude, then it could be a very neat place. Room service would also be a great addition! Honestly, I have never been treated so badly in my life by hotel/restaurant/retail staff. Sure, I have had some rude waiters or cashiers, but the staff here treated us way worse than I have even been treated. I am shocked, as many reviews compliment the customer service.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
32  Thank sstephensid
Reviewed 4 April 2011

My wife and I drove to Indiana specifically to stay at this hotel. All-in-all, we had a great experience. Our only complaints were that we saw several ants in the pool room, and considering the amount of money we spent to stay in the Paradise suite, the bed was extremely hard. There is no box springs, only a mattress on a wooden platform. Still, we had a wonderful time together.

• Stayed: April 2011