“Business Meeting”

Ranked #114 of 180 Hotels in Indianapolis
PHILA PA
“Business Meeting”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Stayed at this establishment for two nights, Aug 22-23, 2012. I travel often for work, but this was my first time in Indy. The hotel is located about 15 minutes from the Airport, and is in downtown Indy on the Monument Circle. The view from the hotel ground and several floors were pretty nice. The pros: members only, so it's not entirely open to the public. higher end catering to high end clients. Staff is friendly and the price of the stay was very reasonable. Lobby is also very nice, classic yet sophisticated. Offers add on's such as barber shop, shoe shop etc. Bar staff was great, super friendly, and remembered drink orders upon arriving at the bar the second night.
The cons: food wasn't that great (lunch only), the hotel room itself wasn't all that nice. Carpet was older, bed was ok in comfort, bathroom was outdated, and even the simple ironing board and iron could be updated (probably 15 years old)!
As I mentioned, the hotel room rate was very fair, the service was great, the hotel has a great history and feel, it's in a great location, and the room wasn't excellent. I've seen better in terms of room at the larger "chain" hotels, but the look and feel is some of the best i've seen. I'd rate this average.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank JRUT72286

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Southern Cal
Reviewed 1 June 2012

This hotel is a little old and not as nice as some of the newer, fancier hotels in downtown Indianapolis, but it was clean and the room service personnel were very nice. We got a conference rate, but when we arrived were told that the quoted rate was too low by mistake and they tried to charge us more at first. My colleague complained (there were two of us, each in separate rooms). They ended up honoring the quoted rate, but made a point in telling each of us that it was a mistake and that we shouldn't have gotten that price (and we both checked out at different times!). Everything turned out ok in the end, and I liked the location of the hotel, but it would have been nicer to get a room with a view of Monument Circle. My view was looking into an office building, so I was happy that the workers went home promptly at 5pm-otherwise they could look right into my room! One of the days I came back to my room and the key card wouldn't work-they had my check-out day wrong. I can say with certainty that my experience was much better than the reviewer who said this place was like the hotel from "The Shining," but still those words were always in the back of my mind!

Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank calhoneybear01
Toronto
Reviewed 20 April 2012 via mobile

I was really worried when I was bumped from the airport Hyant to this Columbia Club because of the reviews. Now I am a basic person but this hotel is not that bad or as bad as others have described. Yes, the carpet in my room could use replacing and the fixtures are older etc, but my bathroom was clean, bed was neat and clean and that's all I could ask for really. he negative comments about the staff could not be further from the true in my experience. Over the top kind and willing to help, even asked the manager for directions, gave them to me and asked how I was enjoying my stay. Told her honestly room 717, I like to open my window but the building A/C units and kitchen exhaust is right below it...kinda loud. She offered to move me and they were pretty much booked solid, so I declined. Over all people, this is an old old hotel with a lot of charm and history. Enjoy!

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Resq28
Evansville, IN
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We had an event to attend at Lucas Oil. After using a website to book our room and receiving a confirmation number, we arrived at the hotel to find that we had no reservation. My confirmation number didn't matter because I booked through a third party website. After scrambling for several minutes, she found a room that was being held for someone who had not arrived yet. We paid online for a deluxe floor king room. I was told that this room was not available but if I contacted the website I booked through I could get a refund for the difference. Running late to my event at this point I agreed. As she was typing my info in to the computer several people came down complaining that their keys didn't work. Which seems to be a common complaint about this hotel. I then arrived in my room to find a bathroom the size of a closet, and decorated like I was on a submarine. The trim had been stripped from all of the doors and hallways. And there was one tiny mirror in the bathroom. One vending machine in the entire hotel, which was sold out of everything. Very disappointing, especially for the money spent.
Next day, I contact the third party website to attempt to get my refund, they call the hotel to verify my story. And I am told that the hotel says they billed the third party website for the entire amount, with no discount. What??? So I call the hotel. "Oh we are sorry. We will tell them the situation." Never again will I stay at the hotel. And never again will I use a third party booking website!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nichole W

Travellers are raving about these Indianapolis hotels

Reviewed 14 March 2012

need to update rooms / bathroom needs fan/ trim needs to be replace vvrtvrti irv rivrvr vr iirvrivri ivrv

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank reno g
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 February 2012

well the first day I checked in, right from the start they gave me a bad key, i had to get back into the elevator run all the way back down and tell them the key doesn't work,,,let me also remind you that this was at 2am in the morning,,i grab my luggage go back up and opened my door,,wow what a surprise,,my room looked like someone just had sex and left it within minutes,,i call downstairs to request someone to come up and see the room, not one manager on site or anyone couldn't come up...the girl downstairs gave me another room and again i had to go back downstairs cause she was the only one there...NOT MY FAULT.. the next morning i took a shower, then couldn't get any hot water..i had to take a slightly cold shower and just get to work, at this moment, I am still wondering why a manager haent called me about the 2 bad experiences I already received when this was supposed to be a 5 star hotel from a travel site i learned by like this site...which this site is much better and honest to get this kind of info...anyway,,as i come back to the hotel after working 12 hours,, guess what? my key doesn't work again,,i go back downstairs,,thinking should I scream, or be calm...i nicely tell the the lady at the counter that my key doesn't work AGAIN...she didn't even say, AGAIN? why what happen? could i get a manager for you? NOTHING!!!! so i just pick up my bag and go back to my room...They cleaned my room, thank god,,but NO toilet paper,,,this has to be the first time in my life that when I stayed at a hotel and they cleaned my room, that the cleaning lady forgot the toilet paper....this was the first,,but happening to me only...
as I go back downstairs to ask for toilet paper, remember, they do not have anyone that works after 10 pm here..its what it seems,,cause i still havent had 1 manager, or neither 1 employee offer me the toilet paper to my room, I get my toilet paper and go back up to my room, and again, cant get in,,the key doesn't work again...i go back downstairs and ask for another key...next day...take another cold shower..its like they only had a 40 gal water heater for the whole building or something..i then ask for a manager later on that day, and was told she left out of the building for a minute,,i said OK, went back upstairs,,2 hours later, i called downstairs and now that same lady that didn't tell this manager that i wanted her,,,forgot to tell this manager that i wanted her,,,and that she went home...6pm.... couldn't believe it...i had to look around to see if there was any cameras around and that if my friends were in town playing games with me,,and wanted it on camera...like a huge joke..cause sometimes my friends do things like this....it was just getting bad every day and for the same thing...long story short..I finally got to speak a manager,, and SHE said she would take care of this problem and have her general Manager call me..Ive sent an email to them,, and again and again and again...and yet nothing...!!!then the General Manager calls me and tells me he was sorry and he wanted to accommodate me, and I said by what? he offered me to stay again there, and i was like ya right!!! is that a joke or what? then he said he was going to put the money back onto my credit card...and i said ok..this was going on almost 2 months now..and still noting and no reply on my email...so now i gave them plenty of chances and im on here giving my review....Bad service deserves Bad comments!!! simple as that..DO NOT GO HERE OR YOU WILL REGRET IT. i had a better experience staying at a RedRoof inn. and at a cheap hotel that this so call 5 star hotel...someone lied about this hotel on a site similar to this site...I WORK AS A PHOTOGRAPHER FOR UNITED PRESS ASSOC. AND FOR NBC NEWS OUT OF CHICAGO..

Room Tip: if you going to Indianapolis downtown area hotel...please ask them for a street view of the town,,no...