Columbia Club
The Alexander(Indianapolis)
US$209
US$192
  • Restaurant
All reviewsprivate clubmonument circlevalet and bell staffgrand lobbycomfortable lobbyoffice buildingsoldiers and sailors monumentvalet parkingdowntown indianapolisfitness centergreat downtown locationper dayup to dateconferenceunitsmarriottartwork
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Me and my wife spent 2 days in Indy this weekend and stayed here. The location could not be better. It is located in Monument Circle. Traffic can be an issue, but it was nice to exit the hotel and be immersed in the urban life here. Rates were reasonable given the location. The rooms were not special, but we did not find them wanting. The staff were very friendly to us. One negative is that there is a thin door separating 2 rooms. The door was locked, but it was easy to hear through. We were awoken once by our "neighbors" arguing late at night. In the morning, one of them was coughing and retching for over an hour. Also, be aware the beds are very soft.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Davigeta
Reviewed 13 September 2013

This hotel isn't really a hotel. It's an old athletic/dinking/cigar club that was exclusively for men. In a bid to survive, they have attempted to turn themselves into a hotel. They aren't trying very hard; I suspect that they only open rooms to non club members when there are no other rooms left in Indy.
The bathroom in my room was awful. The hair dryer was at least as old as the men in the (men only) cigar room. The shower head, flooring and fixtures would be bad if this were a gym and not a pricey hotel. There was info in my room about 4 places to eat but no indication of where to find them. After looking for about 20 minutes, I found the lounge tucked in a corner on the first floor that I am sure is easy to find if you are a club member but not marked for anyone else. The dessert I had was baked several months ago, frozen and thawed. Inedible. This is a place that would rather not have outsiders, and it shows.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank H S
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We booked through travel Indy 3 1/2 months in advance of a convention. Originally one room for one person, 5 days. Later we changed to two for one room (3 months in advance). No communication from the hotel, we assumed all was well. It wasn't...clearly no one read the request. On arrival the clerk appoligized & said they would have a manager look at it.. No one got back to us... King size bed 2 people.. No cot or room for one. Raised the issue with the manager... He emailed receipt ...said he would look into it & nothing back. Thin walls, guest parties at 1 in the morning... Way too much noise..no sleep 5 nights. Great location .....but no for what they charge you can find much better accomidation elsewhere....period!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank George A
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Me and my girlfriend decided to attent the moto Gp festivities this year. It was a lat minute thing so we were trying to find a hotel we found the Columbia Club it was the only room available downtown. We have never stayed there before. We had a bad experience from the time we walked to the front door. The doormen questioned us if we were staying at the hotel. that wasnt a big deal to me, The check in went pretty good. The view from the room of Monument circle was the best part. Now the bad being moto GP I didnt bring my shirt and tie so the staff was very rude to us. We entered the hotel from grabbing a bite to eat I had az doorman chase me down yelling at me telling me to take my hat off. One other staff member told my girlfriend that she was not in the proper attire. The elevators were extremely slow we had to take 7 flights of stairs to get back to our room. The room is nothing fancy you can get the same quality room at Hampton Inn down the road for a better price. We were not able to check into our room until 330 in the afternoon and the check out was by noon. so we didnt even get the room 24 hours. They tried to charge me 25.00 to park my motorcycle. I simply told them that I wasnt parking with them cause I could simply park my bike in front of the hotel on the circle. At night the hotel was very noisy from a wedding reception. That doesnt bother me but for some I know that it would. I will take this as a lesson learned and will start booking my hotels earlier in advance at the Hampton Inn down the road

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank richard j
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I have been to the coumbia for a few weddings and have always enjoyed myself. The rooms are what you should expect, nothing fancy but they do the trick. This time however, like always were were given a complimentary valet ticket from the wedding party. The next morning when we went to check out we were told it would not be honored because it was overnight? I have always done this. Plus if its only $10 to stay overnight then why would I have to pay the full 25. Next time im downtown for a wedding, I will just stay in a different hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple