“Loved this hotel!”
Review of Columbia Club

Columbia Club
Ranked #102 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I utilized this hotel as my son is a member. I was in town for the weekend during the NCAA basketball tournament. Indianapolis was hopping. The Columbia Club was calm.
Anyway....I loved The Columbia Club! I valet parked my car and checked into my 9th floor room. The lobby area is very stately and elegant. There is a dress code....not too hard to adhere to. The room was large. I was on a corner so had two Windows. It was well appointed, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was HUGE. We had drinks at the bar, and I had a light breakfast in the restaurant. Every employee I came in contact with was kind and courteous. I would love to stay here again!

Room Tip: I had a lovely view of Monument Circle
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed at The Columbia Club while attending a wedding last weekend. I read some of the reviews and was a little concerned.... but I had no need to be. The place is elegant, historic and simply wonderful.. our Room was well equipped... the ONLY little thing I could fault was the slow running shower..... but then the building is very old and majestic The staff were very attentive from the valet parking to receptionist and dining staff. If you want a classy place to stay in the very heart of downtown Indianapolis I strongly suggest you stay here.... we loved it!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Beautiful and historic, but not as nice as it probably once was. A bit run down, I'd say.

Some advice: make sure you get every single thing you need out of your car before handing it over to the rather impatient valets at the door, because they apparently park quite a ways away, and will expect a tip each time you have to send them to run to go fetch something out of it.

Also, don't get a drink or food in the bar unless you're prepared to overpay. It's nothing spectacular and it is PRICEY. A lite beer and a shot of Jack was $11.67. I have the receipt before me now.

As I walked through the front door, my hands and arms were absolutely full of luggage and my hat was on my head. As the little doorkeep pulls the door open he says "No hats in the public areas of the club, sir." I like a no-hat-inside policy, but a bit of judgment may be called for.

Also, no hot water from the tap. I could get it out of the shower, no problem (albeit intermittently), but the tap was a trickle of cool water. Shaving took a bit of a try.

Last thing: temperature control in the room was mostly for show. It was set to "sauna."

All that said:

The help was generally friendly, the location is ideal for downtown business and conventions and is within walking distance of more reasonably-priced eating.

I give the place a high c-plus or low b-minus.

Room Tip: Seventh floor seemed nice. Ask to face the circle and not the parking garage.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Darryl_X
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I booked this hotel through Hotwire, and had some reservations when I found out what the hotel was, but what a very pleasant surprise it was! Our stay was mostly fantastic! The Columbia Club is a historic site, basically a private club that has converted parts of its building to hotel space. Doormen great you upon arrival and are very happy to help and more than accommodating. There is valet service available, although we did not have a car so we did not use it. Check in was very efficient and friendly. Our room was very clean. A little dated, but quite quaint. The only complaint I can think of was a lack of hot water for a shower on one of the mornings.

We really just used this hotel to sleep in as we were very busy all of the weekend. I would recommend it to anyone traveling for business or on a getaway to Indy. Possibly not the best hotel for families with small children as it is a very formal hotel, with exclusive paying members and guests. Had I had younger children with me, I would have been very "on edge".

Room Tip: If you were to have a room facing Monument Circle, you would have a very nice view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Me and my wife spent 2 days in Indy this weekend and stayed here. The location could not be better. It is located in Monument Circle. Traffic can be an issue, but it was nice to exit the hotel and be immersed in the urban life here. Rates were reasonable given the location. The rooms were not special, but we did not find them wanting. The staff were very friendly to us. One negative is that there is a thin door separating 2 rooms. The door was locked, but it was easy to hear through. We were awoken once by our "neighbors" arguing late at night. In the morning, one of them was coughing and retching for over an hour. Also, be aware the beds are very soft.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Davigeta
Reviewed 13 September 2013

This hotel isn't really a hotel. It's an old athletic/dinking/cigar club that was exclusively for men. In a bid to survive, they have attempted to turn themselves into a hotel. They aren't trying very hard; I suspect that they only open rooms to non club members when there are no other rooms left in Indy.
The bathroom in my room was awful. The hair dryer was at least as old as the men in the (men only) cigar room. The shower head, flooring and fixtures would be bad if this were a gym and not a pricey hotel. There was info in my room about 4 places to eat but no indication of where to find them. After looking for about 20 minutes, I found the lounge tucked in a corner on the first floor that I am sure is easy to find if you are a club member but not marked for anyone else. The dessert I had was baked several months ago, frozen and thawed. Inedible. This is a place that would rather not have outsiders, and it shows.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank H S
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We booked through travel Indy 3 1/2 months in advance of a convention. Originally one room for one person, 5 days. Later we changed to two for one room (3 months in advance). No communication from the hotel, we assumed all was well. It wasn't...clearly no one read the request. On arrival the clerk appoligized & said they would have a manager look at it.. No one got back to us... King size bed 2 people.. No cot or room for one. Raised the issue with the manager... He emailed receipt ...said he would look into it & nothing back. Thin walls, guest parties at 1 in the morning... Way too much noise..no sleep 5 nights. Great location .....but no for what they charge you can find much better accomidation elsewhere....period!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business