“You get what you pay for!”

Quality Inn of Indy Castleton
Ranked #87 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Merrillville, Indiana
“You get what you pay for!”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My stay here was really defined by the meaning you get what you pay for. I only needed to stay here for the night and with that in mind I should've just booked elsewhere. As a coach, I traveled here for a basketball tournament with some of our basketball team and booked two rooms. When I arrived I was told that the room wasn't ready when it should have been. I immediately noticed the thick smell of cigarettes throughout the hotel. As I walked down the hallway I was kind of expecting the scent to disappear once in my room. When I got to the room I was hit with a very strong stench of cigarettes. This was a non smoking room. When I complained about the smell they suggested leaving an ozone eliminator in the room with me. Fortunately for me, I am familiar with working with ozone eliminators as I have a detail shop. Breathing in the air from these can be fatal. The staff should've known this which showed how incompetent or careless they are. I explained to them why this was dangerous and suggested that I leave while they figure out how to get the smell out. When I came back to the room it was bone chilling cold. They opened the window & I don't mean a crack. Not to mention the odor was still intense. I was too tired to even bother with telling them after a long day at the tournament. I tried to get as comfortable as I could against the coldness in the room but the scent was just too thick. When it came time to check out I was happy to but there was no one to be found at the front desk. Finally after a long 5 minutes someone came to help. The staff here really lacked professionalism and the other hotel guests that I noticed seemed questionable. I guess this is what you should expect when you pay $80 a night.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ElleHall29
Michelle B, General Manager at Quality Inn of Indy Castleton, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
I truly apologize that your stay at the Quality Inn was not satisfactory. On behalf of our team I would like to apologize. It seems like we did not handle the situation of the smoke smell the best way that we could have. This is unacceptable in my eyes and I will make sure to talk to my staff about this incident.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed in this hotel during the NCAA tournament (go Cats!!) and really appreciated the friendliness of the hotel staff and cleanliness of the accommodations. The hot beverage bar and freshly popped popcorn with various flavorings available in the lobby was a very nice touch and was appreciated. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will stay here again when in Indy. Price was terrific, by the way!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Michelle B, General Manager at Quality Inn of Indy Castleton, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time out and writing a review about our hotel! I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Quality Inn! We hope to see you again in the future!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Wow this is an amazing stay for the little price we paid. Yes it is about 12 miles out of downtown but it was an easy ride down and back. unfortauntely if you drive yourself downtown where all the action is you will have to pay to park and those prices were steep. But the check in at this place was nice and quick for as packed as this hotel was on tournament weekend. The room was spotless far from the elevator but heck we were thankful, it was quite it was spacious in the room area tha bathroom was small but you dont hang out in the bathroom. towels were fresh, linens were clean. TV worked great. we did not use the refrig, micro or coffee i can only imagine those were fine since everything else was. The only draw back to this hotel stay was they did not plan for the extra people being in town for the NCAA tournament and they did not have enough breakfast for all of the guests and they did not extend the breakfast which I through was rather crappy since you know that everyone was there to go to the games and they lasted till 1am did they really expect everyone to be at the breakfast before 9am. And the checkout lady "Michelle" definately did not hold back when she was telling everyone that it ended. Michelle needs to find another job out of the hospitality field she should have seen all the people asking for juice and breakfast etc and made it happen to keep the hotel guests happy and returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
kyle C, Manager at Quality Inn of Indy Castleton, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
2IrishFans,
I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Quality Inn! As for breakfast, my name is Michelle and I am the Manager here at the Quality Inn. I was not there Saturday morning and I am very sorry breakfast was not kept out there longer. I will talk to my front desk staff that worked that morning and make sure that in the future the breakfast will stay out as long as it is needed. We hope to see you again!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Overall, the hotel is nice. The room was clean and nicely furnished. It was very easy to get our luggage from our vehicle to our room. It was inexpensive. The rooms do include a refrigerator and micro. The hotel is located close to the highway and many stores and restaurants. The temperature in the room was comfortable.
However, I think the owners of the hotel are trying to save a couple of dollars and these practices to skimp downgraded the overall experience. The first is the size of the pillows on the beds. They are less than standard size. Fortunately, we brought a couple of pillows from home, so that helped make for a better night's rest. Also, the bathrooms are horribly small. Even our kids had to put their clothes outside the bathroom door after showering, because it was so tiny. I know when hotels include breakfast that it is not going to be that great, but this was especially poor. It was obvious at breakfast time when I had a cup of milk that the pitchers of milk were either watered down skim milk or powdered milk. Unfortunately, no one in my family wanted to even have cereal for breakfast with basically water. Orange juice was the same type of water-tasting concoction. They do serve biscuits and gravy every day. I'm not from an area of the country where this is a staple, which is fine. There is a waffle maker. I often make waffles on our trips, but felt like these were pretty bland. Bagels were still frozen and there were only four slices of bread for the entire hotel for breakfast. Definitely, less to choose from than Marriott hotels. Also, I had to make our own beds and the garbage cans were not emptied over the weekend. A pool would have been nice, but for the price I'm okay with there not being one.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Michelle B, General Manager at Quality Inn of Indy Castleton, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
A G,
Thank you for taking the time out and writing a review about our hotel. Everything that you wrote about breakfast is very constructive. I will take this and try and help improve the quality of our breakfast. Thank you again for the input and we will do everything we can to use this to improve the Quality Inn!

Spring Valley
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Once again my extended stay in Indianapolis was made more pleasant because of Kyle, the GM and his staff. They always had helpful suggestions on visiting interesting attractions in Indy and places to eat. From extra hangers to a luggage stand, everything was ready for my stay. As always, the room was clean and the property was kept spotless. The express breakfast was adequate and the area was cleaned up right away. The location can't be beat, right off the major highway and near all shopping in Castleton.
The hotel could use a restaurant and bar and there is an empty property attached to the hotel that was once a restaurant. Management should open up a nice place to eat and drink because most of the area closes up by 9pm.

Room Tip: Double queen rooms and king bed rooms are both comfortable.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rainbowboss
Rainbowboss,
Thank you for your kind words about the Quality Inn! We enjoy having you as a guest and it is always a pleasure seeing you return. The building that is right next door is actually in the middle of being renovated to be a Greek restuarant! We have aready made plans to work with them when they open in the summer so you must come back and check that out! Thank you again for taking the time out to fill out a review for our hotel!

Homewood, Illinois
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband and I made a reservation with another hotel in the area for an annual pool tournament but when we found out about the rates at Quality Inn (50% cheaper), we cancelled and booked with Quality Inn. We found the property to be clean and comfortable. The rooms have microwaves and mini refrigerators which are not standard at competitor's property. The complimentary breakfast is continental so don't expect meat and eggs but cereal, milk, juice, bagels, fresh fruit, and waffles were ok for us. Sasha made our check in process personable and easy.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MrsT907
MrsT907,

Thank you for writing a review about the Quality Inn! We apprieciate the kinds words and hope to see you again soon!

Naperville, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Being right off of the highway and near the mall in Castleton is nice because it is easy to find restaurants and shopping places as well as it is easy to get back on the highway. The hotel is kind of tucked away which is nice, but a lot of sound transfers from the highway. Additionally, the walls were pretty thin and I could hear other rooms/hallways. The staff was all friendly and checking in and out were super easy. I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Kyle C
Kyle,
Thank you for taking the time and writing a review about the Quality Inn! I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon!