“A budget-friendly hotel with a higher end feel”

Quality Inn of Indy Castleton
Ranked #84 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“A budget-friendly hotel with a higher end feel”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We always stay here when in town for my son's tennis tournaments and are always quite content. We stayed here again this past weekend during the Indianapolis 500 and the hotel was booked at capacity but you would not have known it. First of all, the hotel was very quiet. I think this is because it is an older building. I find older hotels are quieter in general due to a more solid construction. I465 is right behind the hotel but I rarely hear much noise from the interstate. We had only booked one night but was lucky to get another room at the last minute for the second night since my son was still alive in the tournament. They did not even try to increase the price with few hotel rooms available in the city this weekend. We had a different room each night in different parts of the building. Each room was very clean, spacious, and the beds comfortable.There was a nice sitting area, desk, refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker. AND plenty of towels and wash cloths in like new condition. Something I like about this hotel is that they have a self laundry facility which I used. The breakfast offers many choices, including hot choices and protein. Despite the numbers at the hotel, even when we ate at the end of the breakfast hours, there was still plenty of food.The staff is very friendly and helpful. In the past I had mentioned that there was sometimes a cigarette smell due to inconsiderate and selfish smokers smoking inside a nonsmoking hotel. For the first time, I did not smell any cigarette smell in the hallways or my rooms.Kudos to whatever management has done to curb this problem! See you next tournament!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank bendan972016
Michelle B, General Manager at Quality Inn of Indy Castleton, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time out and writing a review about the Quality Inn! We appreicate all of your kind words and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
St. Louis metro
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed two nights during area basketball tourney. Good location, easy to get to, minutes from dining and shopping options. Pleasant desk staff; easy check in/out. Clean room smelled newer; very comfy beds with 3 pillows each. Good sized minifridge came in handy; microwave was tiny. Nice flatscreen TV. Liked having sink area outside toilet/shower area so two could get ready at once. Note toilet/bath area was tiny! A large person might have trouble getting out of the way to shut the door, honestly. One bulb out over sink and toilet wobbled a bit. Was some highway noise but left fan on to hide it. Decent continental breakfast included biscuits & gravy; waffle maker; pastries; dry cereals; yogurt; hard boiled eggs, instant oatmeals, milk/juices/coffee/tea. Bowl of apples and oranges was nice. Would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Michelle B, General Manager at Quality Inn of Indy Castleton, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time out and writing a review about our property! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that we see you again soon!
Spring Valley
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stay here about 2 or 3 times a year and each stay is as good or better than before. The hotel and staff are the best, they are friendly and do their jobs well. The hotel has a new manager and she has continued providing the little extras that make a stay pleasant. They even remembered that we like extra hangers. They added a new breakfast item, flavored waffles and continue to have a lovely fresh continental breakfast every morning. Their rates are reasonable and the rooms are great. The hotel was filled to capacity on the weekend I was there, but you would never know that. Everything was as perfect as always. The location is just great with easy access to the highway and main road. A super large mall is nearby as well as many different types of places to eat.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Michelle B, General Manager at Quality Inn of Indy Castleton, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you so much for this kind review of our hotel! We ALWAYS enjoy when you guys visit the Quality Inn! We are very pleased that your past stay was a great one! We hope to see you soon!
Merrillville, Indiana
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My stay here was really defined by the meaning you get what you pay for. I only needed to stay here for the night and with that in mind I should've just booked elsewhere. As a coach, I traveled here for a basketball tournament with some of our basketball team and booked two rooms. When I arrived I was told that the room wasn't ready when it should have been. I immediately noticed the thick smell of cigarettes throughout the hotel. As I walked down the hallway I was kind of expecting the scent to disappear once in my room. When I got to the room I was hit with a very strong stench of cigarettes. This was a non smoking room. When I complained about the smell they suggested leaving an ozone eliminator in the room with me. Fortunately for me, I am familiar with working with ozone eliminators as I have a detail shop. Breathing in the air from these can be fatal. The staff should've known this which showed how incompetent or careless they are. I explained to them why this was dangerous and suggested that I leave while they figure out how to get the smell out. When I came back to the room it was bone chilling cold. They opened the window & I don't mean a crack. Not to mention the odor was still intense. I was too tired to even bother with telling them after a long day at the tournament. I tried to get as comfortable as I could against the coldness in the room but the scent was just too thick. When it came time to check out I was happy to but there was no one to be found at the front desk. Finally after a long 5 minutes someone came to help. The staff here really lacked professionalism and the other hotel guests that I noticed seemed questionable. I guess this is what you should expect when you pay $80 a night.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ElleHall29
Michelle B, General Manager at Quality Inn of Indy Castleton, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
I truly apologize that your stay at the Quality Inn was not satisfactory. On behalf of our team I would like to apologize. It seems like we did not handle the situation of the smoke smell the best way that we could have. This is unacceptable in my eyes and I will make sure to talk to my staff about this incident.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed in this hotel during the NCAA tournament (go Cats!!) and really appreciated the friendliness of the hotel staff and cleanliness of the accommodations. The hot beverage bar and freshly popped popcorn with various flavorings available in the lobby was a very nice touch and was appreciated. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will stay here again when in Indy. Price was terrific, by the way!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Michelle B, General Manager at Quality Inn of Indy Castleton, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time out and writing a review about our hotel! I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Quality Inn! We hope to see you again in the future!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Wow this is an amazing stay for the little price we paid. Yes it is about 12 miles out of downtown but it was an easy ride down and back. unfortauntely if you drive yourself downtown where all the action is you will have to pay to park and those prices were steep. But the check in at this place was nice and quick for as packed as this hotel was on tournament weekend. The room was spotless far from the elevator but heck we were thankful, it was quite it was spacious in the room area tha bathroom was small but you dont hang out in the bathroom. towels were fresh, linens were clean. TV worked great. we did not use the refrig, micro or coffee i can only imagine those were fine since everything else was. The only draw back to this hotel stay was they did not plan for the extra people being in town for the NCAA tournament and they did not have enough breakfast for all of the guests and they did not extend the breakfast which I through was rather crappy since you know that everyone was there to go to the games and they lasted till 1am did they really expect everyone to be at the breakfast before 9am. And the checkout lady "Michelle" definately did not hold back when she was telling everyone that it ended. Michelle needs to find another job out of the hospitality field she should have seen all the people asking for juice and breakfast etc and made it happen to keep the hotel guests happy and returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
kyle C, Manager at Quality Inn of Indy Castleton, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
2IrishFans,
I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Quality Inn! As for breakfast, my name is Michelle and I am the Manager here at the Quality Inn. I was not there Saturday morning and I am very sorry breakfast was not kept out there longer. I will talk to my front desk staff that worked that morning and make sure that in the future the breakfast will stay out as long as it is needed. We hope to see you again!

Michelle Berning
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Overall, the hotel is nice. The room was clean and nicely furnished. It was very easy to get our luggage from our vehicle to our room. It was inexpensive. The rooms do include a refrigerator and micro. The hotel is located close to the highway and many stores and restaurants. The temperature in the room was comfortable.
However, I think the owners of the hotel are trying to save a couple of dollars and these practices to skimp downgraded the overall experience. The first is the size of the pillows on the beds. They are less than standard size. Fortunately, we brought a couple of pillows from home, so that helped make for a better night's rest. Also, the bathrooms are horribly small. Even our kids had to put their clothes outside the bathroom door after showering, because it was so tiny. I know when hotels include breakfast that it is not going to be that great, but this was especially poor. It was obvious at breakfast time when I had a cup of milk that the pitchers of milk were either watered down skim milk or powdered milk. Unfortunately, no one in my family wanted to even have cereal for breakfast with basically water. Orange juice was the same type of water-tasting concoction. They do serve biscuits and gravy every day. I'm not from an area of the country where this is a staple, which is fine. There is a waffle maker. I often make waffles on our trips, but felt like these were pretty bland. Bagels were still frozen and there were only four slices of bread for the entire hotel for breakfast. Definitely, less to choose from than Marriott hotels. Also, I had to make our own beds and the garbage cans were not emptied over the weekend. A pool would have been nice, but for the price I'm okay with there not being one.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Michelle B, General Manager at Quality Inn of Indy Castleton, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
A G,
Thank you for taking the time out and writing a review about our hotel. Everything that you wrote about breakfast is very constructive. I will take this and try and help improve the quality of our breakfast. Thank you again for the input and we will do everything we can to use this to improve the Quality Inn!

Michelle Berning