“Great hotel quality brought down by employees”

Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Airport
Ranked #11 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I just do not understand large hotel chains in today's economic demise not focusing more on quality customer service to build and maintain a clientele for the future. Though this hotel is very well accommodated and clean the quality of it's staff dragged it down. I felt I was an intruder on their daily work lives. The bar attendant served my snack in a to go box and although the place was still open for a few hours proceeded to spray wood polish all around me to clean the bar ... sure, I'm glad they get the dusting done ... but then to keep banging my stool with the broom was pretty darn rude. There were no boundaries at breakfast I learned whose (staff) daughter was doing what and when and was asked 6 times if I was "doin' alright" while there was a dirty plate, bowl and cup stacking up and being ignored ... ignored like my wish for a pot of coffee.

I chose to use up some Hilton honors points for this stay for two nights and they wanted 60,000 points .... again, that's SIXTY THOUSAND POINTS! I thought I might be staying at the Ritz Carlton on the beach with that installment ... but no ... it was an airport hotel with not one but TWO small bottles of complimentary water! What the heck? BAD idea - should have just stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and got the breakfast for free too. It was however better than the Crowne Plaza Indy Airport hotel I stayed at last month.

Greatfully, I didn't have to wait long for the airport shuttle (this hotel IS basically in the middle of a corn field) I was told on the phone "... that I should have to put my name on the shuttle list" ... and not "We're looking forward to seeing you, let me see what I can do for you with regards to the shuttle service .... " Then the driver showed up in less than 10 minutes and had only one other passenger to pick up. SERIOUSLY!? This is a Hilton chain hotel ... WHERE IS THE CUSTOMER SERVICE TRAINING???!!! It is not rocket science to teach employees to respect clientele which ultimately earns bigger business and better pay etc etc ... am I confused with another planet people!?

On a more positive note, the rooms seem still quite new, they offer beds with changeable firmness. This may seem an odd observation however, they have "soft closing" toilet seats! - they don't slam down so your neighbour hears them and consequently your ears don't ring for the next 30 seconds - genious! All of the basic amenities are available in your room - fridge, microwave, free wi-fi, shampoo AND conditioner, weekday USA Today paper, a wonderfully comfy bed, ergonomic chair at desk, plenty of TV channels and the coffee maker.

Breakfast is @ $7 to $10 according to hot & cold choices. Reasonably priced according to lack of nutritious options. Being in the middle of no-where there are no lunch options ... some tell lies about a Subway that's within walking distance otherwise they have a "Pavilion pantry" offering basic supplies.

Overall, a comfortable and clean hotel stay for a brief hotel stay with all necessary commodities and more - MINUS the customer service attention where staff realize that without the customers they'd be working at MacDonalds (for example).

I did not hear one single airplane fly over but I knew exactly each time the air conditioning randomly kicked in, even in slumber; gladly I'm one that finds some comfort in that. I guess the air traffic depends on the weather and the runway?

* after all is said and done, the gentleman working the front desk mid-morning did raise the bar for other employees.

Room Tip: Rooms are well accommodated. Hilton Honors guests receive not one, but TWO free bottles of water...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank IMJetlagged
Adraab10, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2011

Hello IMJetlagged,

I want to first thank you for your detailed post of your recent visit with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Airport. We really appreciate guests taking the time to provide feedback so we can continue to better our team and hotel.

Next, I want to apologize that we didn't succeed in making your stay a great one. We strive to have every guest leave 100% satisfied with their stay and I sincerely apologize on the behalf of the entire hotel for not making a better impression.

After receiving your review, I now plan ensure every employee has had the chance to read through it and then discuss best practices for customer service. We value all our guests and plan to actively address all areas mentioned in your review.

Once again, I apologize that we didn't show the true friendly, helpful nature of our hotel and staff. Although you didn't find your last stay to be satisfactory, I hope you can give us another opportunity to win you over.

Take Care,
GM

Reviewed 8 October 2011

My recollection of this hotel is like the hotel, bland. It is a HGInn and everthing worked, met standards but it did not stand out as say HGI Lynchburg or Columbia North East did. A good stop for Michigan to Florida drive.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gwgMimsFlorida
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Found myself here by accident, but really lucked out. Nice room, comfortable bed. Best of all - Angelina at the front desk was outstanding. Answered all my questions cheerfully, and even lent me her iPhone charger when I couldn't find mine!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 August 2011

The new rooms are very nice and have all the standard amenities. We received a room on the 2nd floor, and I believed noise wouldn't be a problem. However, I was wrong. I awoke several times even though I was wearing earplugs, although my husband & boys slept through the night. We took the shuttle, which was convenient. There is nothing nearby the hotel, other than a Hampton Inn.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank BETH V

Hello Redhed1,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your recent stay and review of our hotel. We love guest feedback and appreciate you taking the time to provide us with an account of your last stay.

I do apologize that you experience issues with exterior noise. In designing the hotel, we did take being near the airport into consideration and went the extra mile to double pane all windows and increase rooftop insulation to minimize noise. Although we rarely receive complaints, we understand that sensitivity to noise varies from person-to-person and offer alternative sleep aids upon request. We will also do our best to locate you in an area of the hotel that might be less venerable to the noise.

Once again, thanks for your recent stay and review! We hope you will give us another chance to make your stay great.

Take Care,
GM

Reviewed 26 August 2011

i have stayed here on several trips to the indy area. it is quiet and well maintained. Service is just outstanding, Amy (Manager) always does her best to make sure everyone is happy.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This Hilton Garden Inn is very new, and nice. There is shuttle service to and from the Indianapolis airport. The hotel restaurant is ok, the HGI isn't known for having great food. There is a hotel bar adjacent to the restaurant.
Just a heads up, there isn't anything around it, nothing! If you don't have a rental car, you are trapped eating at the hotel restaurant, or getting pizza delivery.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We stayed here on our way to KC from PA. We arrived around 1 a.m. When I attempted to check in, I had to wait several minutes due to the fact that the attendant seemed to be asleep at the desk in the back office. I yelled "hello" and I heard him startle and jump up. (kind of unprofessional, but it is 1 a.m.). I had booked a rate which combined breakfast with my room rate. I was told that the free breakfast voucher would be in my welcome packet I received with my Hilton Honors envelope. However it was not, so I had to go back down to retreive this from the sleepy front desk attendant.

The room was great. Very spacious and clean.

Before we left we went to the breakfast area. The staff was fantastic.....very friendly and talkative. They were great with our 3 little boys. Our breakfast was delicious.

Despite a bad first impression on check-in....I would stay here again.

Room Tip: not great first impression at check-in, but overall a very good experience; would stay here again.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family