“Fantastic Food!!!!”
Review of OAKLEY'S Bistro

OAKLEY'S Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
OAKLEY'S Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #62 of 2,449 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Price range: US$1 - US$34
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Washington
Cross street: 86th & Ditch Road
Description: It’s commonly thought that you know you’ve found your life’s calling if you’d do your job for free. Chef Steven J. Oakley personifies that idea. His career began at age 16 when he offered his services to a suburban Chicago restaurant for free: “I just wanted to work, I wanted to learn,” says Oakley. That emphasis on hard work and continual learning has culminated in Chef Oakley arriving at the top of his profession in Indianapolis. That structured education didn’t temper his need to learn from other chefs in other kitchens and he spent many weekends traveling to New York City to work in some of the most prestigious restaurants in the country, including The Park Avenue Café and Lutece—for free of course. He spent summers back in Chicago where he worked at the famous Charlie Trotter’s. Following a brief stint at the Scottsdale Princess Resort in Arizona, Chef Oakley returned home to Chicago where he worked for another landmark restaurant, Printer’s Row, and again, Charlie Trotter’s.
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We were traveling to Kentucky and made a stop here for a pre-anniversary dinner. The quality of food and service was outstanding. The suckling pig was by far the best thing I have ever eaten. The short ribs were also fantastic. I also had the french onion soup which was very very tasty as well. Everything was great!!

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Went to Oakley's for my husband's birthday. I had asked ahead of time for anything they could do to make the night special. When we got there, they seated us at the worst table in the place (tiny, against a brick wall, 1 foot away from another couple). I asked to be moved to an empty table by the window. The guy said it was for 3-4 people. 5 minutes later they seated another couple there! Our waiter was inattentive and had NO personality. He could care less it was my husband's birthday. He only showed up to ask about drinks (after they were empty and present the bill). The food was fairly tasty, but SMALL! I ordered the spare ribs and it had 2 small pieces of meat in it. Every portion is small. The bill was $140 (2 drinks and dessert included). We left soooooooo disappointed. Many other better options in Indy.

1  Thank midwesterwoman
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We are big fans of this restaurant for any meal but Chef Oakley's Wine Dinners are absolutely outstanding and rival any dinner we've had on the west coast and in Europe. The evening we attended featured Waterbrook Winery and Precept Wines. Most of the wines were decent to very good and the food was incredible. The first course was probably my favorite. Chef Oakley made a beef cheek "hash" with an over easy quail egg, crispy onion skin and the most amazing creamed kale. The next course was a perfectly cooked trout fillet with carrot fennel puree and a most delicious vanilla bean spaetzle. (We loved the spaetzle so much, I decided to make some at home later in the week.) The third course was lamb with puree of potato and an amazing mustard seed ricotta. The wine paired well with the meal. Although the restaurant was full, the staff got the courses out quickly and the food was the perfect temperature. This was the first time my older son had attended one of these dinners and he loved it. As we were leaving he asked when we'd take him again.

I'd highly recommend making reservations as they can book up quickly for this special event.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Amazing presentation and incredible food. Best restaurant in Indy IMO. Chef Oakley prepares a great variety of very fresh entrees. Staff is excellent. Try to get the Chef's table for a view of the kitchen. Can hold 4 comfortably, 6 is a bit tight. Only 2 settings for that table. Enjoy!

1  Thank sheilaoc
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Very nice tables and reasonable noise level. Menu is eclectic and offers some great and different taste sensations. Well done!