“Nice beds - poor amenities - we will stay somewhere else next time”

SpringHill Suites Indianapolis Downtown
Ranked #30 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
“Nice beds - poor amenities - we will stay somewhere else next time”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

The rooms are basic… The beds are nice… The pool is really small and there's so many people in it it's obnoxious… The exercise room has kids running around in it… And most of the equipment is used during the primetime hours… So clearly not much of a value

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Ackk5609
Marr601, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you for your comments. It is always our goal to ensure that each guest has an excellent experience. If you would like to discuss these issues further please feel free to contact me.

Regards

Director of Sales and Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

This was my first time to Indy and the first spring break my son & I had that was not connected to him playing a sport. A good friend recommended this hotel and she knew I was a hotel snob. LOL.. I surprised my son with tickets to the Pacers-Heat game.

I was greeted warmly by Wesley on Sunday afternoon. He was very pleasant and gave us a summary of the hotel and attractions in the surrounding area. I asked for a room with a nice view and he was able to fulfill my request. He explained that they were booked over the weekend for a volleyball tournament so it had been very busy. As I looked around the lobby and hotel, I could not tell they had been booked. It was very clean and tidy.

Our room was great! As a person that stays in hotels, I know where to look to determine if the room is really clean. All of the spaces I looked were clean. I was glad and we were able to relax and enjoy our stay. The breakfast in the morning was ok. It included hot eggs & sausage along with make your own waffles. Free juice, muffins, and cereal were also included. If was great for me and my 13 yr old son that can eat a lot.

Another very cool thing is the hotel is connected to the Courtyard & the grand JW Marriott by skywalks. It allowed us to enjoy the amenities of the other hotels. My son & I are already planning our return to Indy. From Columbus, OH it is a nice get away that is not too far. I love Columbus, but I think Indy is the big brother Columbus is striving to be in the future.

Room Tip: Self park is easy & right under the hotel ($23/nite)
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Miriam W
Marr601, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Springhill Suites by Marriott Downtown and had a great experience with our staff and service. We appreciate your business and the great review and look forward to welcoming you back.

Best Regards

Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

This Spring Hill Suites by Marriott is conveniently located in downtown Indianapolis, practically connected to the convention center and within walking distance of great shops and restaurants. It shares a lobby area with its sister property the JW Marriott. A system of indoor skywalks makes it a joy to traverse center city in cold or inclement weather.

The property and rooms are clean, featuring a family-friendly split bathroom design. The room decor is ultra contemporary, but not quite cheesy or distasteful. The staff was friendly and responsive enough and the free breakfast was above average increasing the value of our stay.

A word of caution, though. One of our party developed a “dermatitis” on her lower leg during the hotel stay. She told her fellow staffers about it but did not inform me until we returned. Her son, a licensed commercial pest control operator, opined that her condition was likely caused by bites from bedbugs. A follow-up doctor’s examination ordered by our company could not rule out the possibility.

Naturally, I informed the hotel who assured me that the room has been inspected by its pest control vendor and that there was no evidence of bedbugs (except, of course the bedbug-bite looking dermatitis on my colleague’s leg).

Thought you’d like to know.

Sleep tight.

Room Tip: Inspect your mattress, headboard and furniture thoroughly before bedding down. Check the Internet fo...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank RnD_Pittsburgh
Marr601, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you for bringing this to our attention during your stay. Our staff goes through intense training to ensure our guests not only have a hospitable stay but they are also trained to treat matters regarding possible bed bugs very seriously. I have checked with our entire team and there have been no complaints of bed bugs reported. Any reported complaints warrant an immediate call to a third party professional pest control company (EcoLab) to come to our property and complete a thorough inspection. I do apologize for any frustrations but can assure you that our hotel is free of bed bugs.

Sincerley

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

From the time of check-in until check out, the service was great and very accommodating. Also, the rooms are clean, large, and have almost everything you need.

Its really nice to have two bathrooms, one with the toilet and the sink, and another with the bath and the sink, however, it would make more sense to me to put the amenities and the hairdryer in the room with the toilet rather than the bath area. This is so that while one person is showering, another person can be drying their hair without getting steamed out. And yes, if you close the door and run the shower, it gets steamy inside the room. Also, it would be nice if they would have put some amenities in the second bathroom so you're not running back and forth between them for stuff. Nitpicky things, but I wish they had a haircover and lotion. I didn't try calling the front desk for it, to see if it was available, but there was a small area for groceries and notions right next to the front desk if you wanted something at any time of the day.

Beds were comfortable, and I asked for extra pillows and blankets, and only needed the pillows. Since I had recent neck surgery a month before this trip, I wanted extra cushioning and comfortable beds, and this fit the bill. I also asked for and received an accessible room, since I was using a walker, and also needed the railings to help in the bathroom. I also had a cane to get around for shorter distances, and had left my walker at check in, since we were rushing to get to the TGIF at night before it closed (arrived late at night off a delayed flight). Yes, its THAT close. I didn't even need my walker, it was right outside the door, and up the walkway about 25 yards! The check in agent offered to let me keep my things while we ate, so I left the luggage with him. When we came back an hour later, he had already transferred everything up to our room, making it so nice to just get myself upstairs and straight to room right next to elevator. And no, it didn't bother me to have the noise from the elevator, but the doors don't quite meet the rug at the bottom of the doorway, so if you're a light sleeper and sound bothers you, then you have to weigh your decision on whether you want or need to be close to the elevator vs the sound. BUT, there was a very inconsiderate guest across the way from us, who had allowed her kids (5-6 boys) to run around playing outside in the hallways. She brought this portable soccer goal, and they set it up right outside my door and used the long hallway to kick the ball down. I was from the west coast, so while it was about 8:30am, it was 5:30am to me,and we didn't get to sleep til well after 2 am after dinner and showers the night before. I didn't really enjoy being woken up by the sounds of boys kicking a ball around and rustling around by the door. I had opened it and looked at them shaking my head and asked them to move down the hall a bit. They did, but I was now awake, so I decided I might as well go get some treats at the breakfast bar before it closed at 9:30.

SO, I used my walker knowing it would be easier to carry things in it and walking then to try and balance everything. I found lots of great stuff. They had juice, milk, coffee, danish, waffles, eggs, sausage, fruit cups (sealed) and fruits. I had grabbed plenty of everything, tossing it in the walker, and the girl who refilled the food offered to help me gather things. She noticed I was taking it upstairs to put in the room, and said to use a coffee cup since it was larger and had a cover, and we loaded everything in my walker's bin. I thought it was very considerate of her to help, and to give me the advice, when I knew she was busy. I took enough for me and my daughter, and figured to reheat it in the microwave, and also had the frig for the juice and fruit cups and fruit. My daughter loved having the fruit cups when she woke up while I was heating everything. she didn't care for reheated sausage and eggs, but it worked for me. I didn't bother with waffles, since there was a line and I didn't want to stand there waiting for it with my walker cuz I kinda blocked the area with it. there's not a lot of room to move around, or to sit, so I was actually happy with what I had, and was content to take it upstairs and eat it there. My daughter liked sleeping in, and eating next to the TV, and when i was done, I jumped on the internet and checked mail while she ate. So, everything worked out fine.

We were there for a sporting meet at the Convention Center, so I chose this location for its proximity to the center, for the lower price. I was very happy with the results. Our friends stayed at the JW, paying about $25 more for the room per night, plus taxes, had no frig or microwave, had to pay for breakfast and all their other food, as well as internet. They were closer to the center, and had a nicer room, but paid the extra money for everything and had 2 kids and could have used the savings of eating reheated food, and had no way of keeping their leftovers cold. We ate at a pizza place called Bazbeaux on Massachusetts Ave, while we went window shopping, and their pizzas were good, but huge, even for a small sized one! So we had tons of pizza left over. I was happy we had the frig and the microwave. But the other family was saying "hmm, no microwave... oh well, we like cold pizza. But, hmm, we don't have frig either... so I guess we'll have to leave it out." They thought about opening a window/balcony to put it on to keep it cold but couldn't because the JW is all windows on the outside. LOL We didn't have any problems - so I said I was happy to walk the few extra feet for the other conveniences. And we probably saved at least $100 over them. Oh, if you're walking around on Massachusetts, be sure to keep walking all the way up until you get to the Flying Cupcake! Great big huge red velvet cupcakes for about $3.75 each, about twice the size of the ones I've seen at home in Vegas. And they were good! I wanted to try their chocolate peanut butter ones, but someone right in front of us got the last one. Rats! she said it was one of their more popular flavors, so be sure to go earlier and grab some. Mmm. It cost about $19 for 5 cupcakes, but was our special treat for the day.

Convention Center notes: It was cold at night when the meet was over, but no rain or snow (first week of Jan), so it was nice to have everything covered and inside. BUT, when leaving the convention center, you don't want to be the last ones out, because they lock the doors betw the center and the walkways, and we couldn't get into them and HAD to go outside to cross the street to the JW. It was freezing! But once inside the JW, were able to use the walkways from the JW to Springhill. It was 100+ yds to get to the back entry elevator of the Springhill, but with my walker, I was able to handle it. You're walking the length of the JW's convention area to get to the Springhill. There's a Starbucks too, right at the point of the JW's entrance to the convention center's walkway, so if you want to grab a coffee and munchie before heading in, do so - cuz there's nothing inside the center except expensive concessions that were down the hall from our event. (another 50-75 yds! no thanks, the coffee/hot chocolate and scones worked fine)

We brought our ipod touch for communication since I couldn't carry the weight of my computer around with me this trip. I basically wanted to be able to access the internet for convenience, and check emails and post on Facebook. The Ipod did everything, and they had an ipod recharger unit on the radio. Wow, talk about convenience. Glad I brought the charger tho, cuz their radio unit wasn't charging it very well. But if you just need wireless internet for simple things, wow, the ipod touch saved me a lot of weight and extra gear i couldn't afford to bring. My 11 yr old daughter had to carry everything, so I definitely needed a hotel with services, and understanding staff, and I had to plan well. Since I did, and the staff was great, my trip was an easy one, and i couldn't ask for more. (except for the same inconsiderate guest - she let her boys play in front of my room again the second morning, even earlier. My guess is that the guests down the hall complained, so they moved their game in front of my door, extending it in the other direction towards the elevator. If you came off the elevator, you'd be greeted by nerf soccer balls and kids using the elevator area as the other goal. When I looked out my door, the mom was just packing stuff up and had her door open, so I commented with a "really? two mornings in a row? cmon..." and the boys said "oh, sorry" and continued to play. The mom said "they said they're sorry..." and let them continue. No apologies from her, no "boys, you need to play quietly, or stop." So, I decided to call the front desk and ask them to do something. They apologized, and i told them they didn't need to cuz its not the hotel's fault, they just needed to make them stop. I also told them itd be best to send someone up to see what the kids were doing. It took less than 5 minutes before that game was shut down. I was so tired, and being woken up so early again, I was pretty mad, so I called the front desk and asked if I could have an extra hour to get myself together and sleep for just a few more minutes. He said if its only an hour, then that was fine. The extra hour was plenty, I just needed a little buffer, because I couldn't get everything packed that fast. When I checked out a couple hours later, the front desk asked if it had quieted down, or if there was any more trouble, and I said no. The front desk service was obviously very attentive, and knew exactly who was calling in, and remembered me, and asked if my stay was OK. Yes, it was - thanks to them. So, give them a chance to correct things, and I'm sure you'll have a great stay.

BTW if you need a taxi, check online and get the phone number into your cell phone ahead of time. When you call them you can mention you saw their online ads for $25 to/from the airport, and that's what they'll charge, instead of $35+ for traffic and stops and mileage... I saved more than $10 one way, compared to our friends, who just caught the first taxi in the taxi line. But planning it next time, I'll call ahead a few minutes to allow for the guy to get there, because they needed 15-20 minutes to get to the airport, they weren't already there, and you don't catch the taxi in the same place - you need to walk further to another place to catch an arranged taxi ride. Our friend asked me how I got the deal, and wanted to do it going home.. and one driver warned her that you can't just hop in any taxi and say you want to pay $25. So he gave our friends the phone number so she could call for a return ride to the airport. It's also $5 for a ride anywhere within the downtown area - but some taxis charge extra if you have 5 people like we did since we traveled as a group and caught it outside the JW front lobby to Massachusetts Ave. BUT I used my taxi service phone # to arrange our return ride back, and he charged me $5 - no extra. if you're travelling with a limited budget, you can appreciate the savings, wherever they are.

Hope this is helpful to other travelers, because I really relied on other comments to help plan my trip. If you're traveling following a surgery, sometimes you just need a little extra TLC and can really appreciate it when someone offers the little extras without having to ask for them or charge for every little thing you need, and that's how the Springhill Suites was. I can't guarantee everyone would receive extra service, but if you ask nicely, I'm sure if they can, they will. Also, I booked this trip early, but I'm a Marriott member, and received a notice that there was sale pricing at the hotel a few days before my trip, so I asked if I was able to change my reservation without losing my accessible room. Marriott made the change, and I got an additional discount, so instead of paying the regular $123 rate (AAA member price), I got the same room for about $103 per night. I saved about $50 for the weekend last minute because of the sale. So keep checking up to the time you travel, you might still find better rates if you're wanting to save a few bucks.

Room Tip: If you need a little assistance with bars next to the toilet and in the bathtub, get the accessible...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank nancyhi
Marr601, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
I wanted to thank you for posting such a glowing review of your recent stay with us at the Springhill Suites By Marriott Downtown Indianapolis. Everything mentioned in your post is a key to our success and I love to see those assets shine through. Our goal is to have every guest leave as satisfied with their stay as you did!

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

We were here for two nights and enjoyed a comfortable stay. The staff was very friendly from the valets to the front desk to housekeeping. The hotel is decorated in a very modern, sleek, European style and the common areas are fresh, new and sparkling clean. The room itself felt a bit smaller than other hotels I've experienced in this chain but boasts all the features that make me love Springhills, like a large desk, sitting area with a couch, microwave and fridge. The refrigerator and microwave are perfect for those times when you order room service and would love to save the leftovers for a second day reheat. Breakfast in the morning was good, with a wide variety of options and coffee and tea are available all day in the lobby. Offering "room service" delivery from the TGI Friday's downstairs is a great touch, and an option that we enjoyed when we arrived exhausted after a long day of driving. The location of the hotel is fantastic, close to IUPUI, Lucas Oil Stadium and the zoo and our room had a lovely view of the White River State Park. Overall it was a comfortable, friendly place to stay and I would choose to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Victoria M
Marr601, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
I wanted to send you a quick message to first thank you for your recent stay and review of our hotel. Guest feedback is so important to our success and bettering out team for future visitors and we really do appreciate you taking the time to offer some insight to your stay.

Delightfully,

Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stayed here during Super Bowl, so every where was Very very busy. The staff and hotel stood up well from what was a full hotel. The parking was $27 for valet and $23 for self park. But because there was only valet, due to the SB being in town. The hotel only charged $23. Reception is very efficient and the staff friendly. The elevators can be a bit slow in busy periods.
The rooms are long and narrow with a small window which only goes half way across the width of the room. So that the rooms can be a little bit dark if you want natural light.The TV is placed to one side. So that you can watch from the bed of swivel it around and watch from the L-shaped sofa. Separate bathroom and toilet. Microwaves and fridge is good. The coffee maker is a one person machine. Which is a drawback if there are two of you. Coffee can be had from reception and is on tap 24/7. There is a Starbucks next door at the Courtyard if you need it.
There is no safe in the room though you have the option to use a safe in reception.
Wi-fi reception is good and reasonably fast, easy to connect to. Breakfast is great and there is a lot to choose from, hot and cold. I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Delightfully,

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

I stayed two nights with my two children. If you have a family, this is a great place to stay. First, the rooms have microwaves and fridges which help for young children. Second, the bathroom and the shower room were separated which was also unexpected but helpful. The hotel was new, modern and attractive. The breakfast in the morning was well provisioned and an attendent was busy keeping things neat and stocked. The staff was helpful and eager to help. What was even cooler was the hotel is connected via Skybridge to the convention center and the city mall and Lucas Oil Stadium - along with multiple other hotels and restaurants. Very cool. This is a great place to stay, I would definately come back. Indoor pool was nice for the kids. There was guest laundry for those staying laundry and needing it. The lobby had a Wii for kids to play which was lots of fun for them.
I've read other people about having crumby Marriott stays, but I haven't had any of those experiences. I've been happy their product and continue to be so. There were many other families staying at the hotel when I was there and they all seemed pretty content. Hope this helps.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank andy1225
Marr601, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, 6 February 2012

Delightfully