“Unbelievable-safety an issue:( Women travelers beware”

Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown
Ranked #55 of 179 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Unbelievable-safety an issue:( Women travelers beware”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I am a loyal Marriott business traveler. I had work in Indianapolis so I booked at this location. I knew that I was coming in late-so when I made my reservation with Marriott I noted I would be late check in. When my plane landed about 11 pm, I had a message from the hotel-asking if I was still coming-seriously? I called back and said Yes I am-they asked if I was interested in staying somewhere else-I responded no. When I got to the hotel the desk clerk was extremely pleasant and noted that the hotel was oversold-sorry but not my issue. I was given a key to my room and headed up. When I opened the door to my room, I immediately saw a used towel by the door-eeks. I also quickly saw the imprint of what had been someone lying in the bed and the TV remote was on the bed. I backed out quickly. I called the front desk-they were not aware that anyone had been in the room. What was obvious is that AFTER the room had been cleaned-someone had used a key and taken a nap-watched TV and showered. The room was not recleaned and the desk and night supervisor swore up and down they knew nothing about it and it was not authorized! That means that random hotel people make and access guest rooms without their knowledge or they were lying to me-either way it is absolutely not safe for guests! They moved me to another room-all of this going on after 1 am in the morning. Shame on you Courtyard for this obvious lack of security. I don't know if it is your policy to allow employees to nap in rooms or what-but if you really don't even know who is access your guest rooms you are compromising securing and the overall cleanliness of rooms-disgraceful! I called the hotel multiple times over 4 days and did not get a call back from a manager until 1 week later and just a message "I understand you want to speak to a manager-you can call back at...." that was it-totally unacceptable for a Marriott property. I also called Marriott HQ and filed a compliant.

Not knowing who has access to rooms or allowing the room to be used AFTER IT IS CLEANED is not acceptable, comprises safety and is disgusting. There are many options for hotels in this area-I would NOT STAY HERE. Shame on you Courtyard for this practice and not even caring enough to return my call for days.

Room Tip: Stay away if you care about your safety
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 147Adventure
Marr601, Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
First and foremost, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced during your stay and the communication after the fact. The standards of service and room expectations were not met, and I have spoken with my team to make sure these issues don’t arise again. The call to confirm your reservation is to not only ensure you have a reservation, but to ensure you will not be charged for a no show if your plans have changed. Please know the safety and security of our guests is our No. 1 priority, and we work hard to make our guests feel safe. I am sorry that the room you were checked into was not cleaned to standard, and I have discussed your experience with our housekeeping staff. It can be difficult to connect with guests once they have left the hotel, but we should leave a message if we are unable to immediately reach you. We thank you for your continued loyalty with Marriott and hope you will reconsider staying at our location again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Manteno, Illinois
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My sister and I stayed downtown at the Courtyard June 28 & 29, 2013. It has a very modern/contemporary look and feel...very pretty. The price was less than other hotels downtown and that is why we chose it.

It did not include breakfast but they did have a Deli type place that sold breakfast items. Since we eat little for breakfast it worked for us. The room was comfortable and spacious, but had an odor of some type. Decor was nice and they had all the amenities that we needed (however no refrigerator which would have been nice).

They did charge for parking, but it was comparable to all the other hotels downtown. We found it to be a convenient walk to the downtown Circle mall and other places.

Staff was very pleasant and usually had fruity water there to drink in the lobby which was nice. Lots of places to sit in the lobby too which was nice.

We would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor I believe...it was quiet.
Green Features: Didn't notice any recycle bins around. That could have been added.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Marr601, Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you for your review. We hope to see you on your next trip to Indianapolis.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My first visit and stay in downtown Indianapolis was a pleasant one. I don't often stay in downtown highrise hotels on personal family trips, but I was able to get a nice rate (less than $100), plus a $20 something dollar parking fee. It was a bit more money then a hotel outside the city, but its the location that you are paying for. The hotel is within walking distance to the Convention Center, Indiana State Museum, Indianapolis Zoo, a State Park, a minor-league baseball field, and Lucas Oil Stadium (cooler weather you may opt for a cab to LOS). There is also a whole city of thing's I left out. The view from the hotel is nice as well. The hotel is bunched together with several other Marriott owned hotel's including the large J.W. Marriott. As a matter of fact; the group of hotels share the same parking garage. If you don't order room service or use the hotel restaurant, there is a nice TGI Fridays located next door. As with all Courtyard brand hotels, the room was wonderful, beds perfect, and everything made you feel like you are the first guest using the room. Upon check in I was greeted by a wonderful front desk clerk, my special request for a certain side of the building was honored, and parking seemed easy once they told me how to access the garage. I didn't care as much for the person who checked me out, very cold with a "chip on their shoulder" to explain it bluntly, but everyone has their days. Lastly, I will offer some driving advice. Three of the four sides of the hotel property is one-way streets. Plan to drive counter-clockwise around the hotel property; if you miss your turn, just keep driving around~it takes some stress out of the driving situation around the hotel. Local drivers pass the hotel area quickly which doesn't leave much room the unfamiliar drivers looking for their next turn.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Key West, Florida, United States
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I stayed here in June while i was home visiting family. I used my employee rate while i was here and would have thought by using that, that they would have put me in a decent room. Instead i get put in a room that has a view of all the Air Conditioners which you could hear humming through the wall/window. When i ask to be moved they acted like i was asking to be upgraded to the suite, when i all i wanted was to be able to relax. They did get me moved across the hall which then i had a great view of the museums across the street and a view of the White River State Park. All in all it was a good stay i just couldn't believe that they would sell a room like that. I only say this as i run 2 guest houses in Key West Florida and would never put someone in a room overlooking AC units.

Room Tip: you do NOT want room 209! but 208 is nice overlooking the entry.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank IslanderJT
Marr601, Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
I am sorry to hear the view from your first room was not what you expected. I am glad the staff took care of your needs and moved you to a room that you enjoyed. We hope you stay again when you come back up for Florida.
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

Nice rooms and friendly service. Located in the shadow of Lucas Oil Stadium. Close to circle center andante restaurants. Short walk to food, shopping and entertainment. Across the street is the Indiana Museum and NCAA Headquarters.

• Stayed June 2013
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The room was nice, front desk staff were very helpful. Our room was comfortable and clean. The housekeeping staff was thorough. We chose this hotel for it's added bonus of being close to so many nice attractions- The IND State Museum, the Zoo, The White River State Park and many eateries.
The reason for the downgrade in rating......was due to the only downside to our stay was the staff at their in-house Bistro. The food was typical, but decent, having a Starbucks was an added value for this sort of venue. There was one young woman, in particular, who was surly and unhelpful. She smirked, but did not smile. Not a good impression.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your room, the location of the hotel and the Starbucks in the Bistro. I am sorry to hear that one of the staff members at the Bistro was not helpful. We will use your feedback as a training opportunity to better serve our guest. Thank you for your feedback.
Pottstown
Reviewed 7 June 2013

The Courtyard has a double bonus of being comfortable with a convenient location in downtown Indianapolis. I was in Indy for business and couldn't have been more impressed with the nice sized rooms, comfortable queen sized bed with multiple pillows, clean bathroom with great water pressure and a great view of the Indianapolis State Museum. There is a decent sized indoor pool and large workout facility that allowed me to work off some travel weariness. Located in the southwest corner of the city, the hotel allows the adventurer the ability to walk to almost any location in downtown Indy. Lukas Oil Stadium and the baseball stadium are nearby. But I walked to all the major sites (and there are a few) in the downtown area and got to restaurant row in the northeast corner of the city. People are friendly and the city is remarkably clean. Being from the congested northeast US, it was not hard to get used to this.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business