“Very comfortable, great service.”

Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown
Ranked #58 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I rate all my stays at a hotel on a five-point scale (1= terrible, 3=what I’d expect, 5=exceptional) in the following categories. Unless otherwise noted, I’m looking for a comfortable, clean night’s sleep. I care little about free breakfast, gyms, and pools.

This is my new go to place for Indy (when I can't get into the JW Marriott, that is.)

Fast check-in: 4
Overall room cleanliness: 4
Ability to control room temperature: 4
Softness of bath towels: 4
Comfort of bed/pillows: 4
Technology (good Wifi, accessible outlets, etc.): 4

Other notes on this hotel:
WiFi is free. Breakfast offering is pretty good. Rooms are quiet and comfortable. Nice bathrooms.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Marr601, Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

We are happy you enjoyed your stay and would be happy to be your new go to place. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you for your review.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Great hotel and location. Beds could be more comfortable. Everyone in my group was not satisfied with the comfort. Also, the hotel needs to put up a no right turn sign at the exit of the front courtyard. The first day we turned right realizing it is a one way. When we mentioned it to the valets that night they all laughed; apparently it happens all the time. We finally notice the one way sign on the other side of the street; it's not enough.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Great hotel, clean rooms, quiet location, comfortable beds but not an easy walk to the main downtown entertainment area. Breakfast was fast and fresh. The $27 dollars per night was a bit extreme and DO NOT turn right out of the hotel. I guess it's a daily occurrence because the valets joked about it. There is a small sign across the street but nothing near the area. Dangerous.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Marr601, Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your clean room and the location. I can understand how the one way streets around the hotel can be a bit confusing. Thank you for your feedback and your review. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel is in a good location and the room is typical Courtyard so normally I would give such a hotel a good to a very good review. But I had some serious issues that could be so easily taken care of.

First, and this is a Courtyard thing now: There's no free coffee at the Courtyards anymore. This is ridiculous. They tell you that there's free coffee in the room. Yes, there's a little dixie cup and some coffee you can make without milk or creamers. And now if you want a good-sized fresh-brewed coffee you have to pay for it and wait in line for it in the lobby. Hint: Go around the corner to the Spring Hill Suites and get your free coffee in their lobby.

But here's the major problem: For the three nights of my stay I only ever saw one staffer at the front desk. This is a busy downtown hotel and yet there's only one person there. That explained why whenever I called the front desk for something, such as to set a wake up call or ask about the checkout time, from my room invariably no one ever answered. Ever.

And what was totally ASTOUNDING was not only did the lines back up at the front desk with people checking in, but when someone asked for a coffee, the clerk checking people in had to leave their post and go make a coffee since that can only be done by a hotel staffer (so they can charge you for it)!

So hotel guests who want a coffee have to wait for their turn at the check-in desk, then the clerk will go to the other side of the lobby to make one while there are people coming in to the hotel, just off planes or a long ride, hauling their luggage and the clerk is on the other side of the lobby making an espresso! It's one of the most absurd things I've ever seen. This was happening day and night when the little restaurant area itself wasn't staffed.

Two other gripes: As others have mentioned it's $23 per night to park. For Indianapolis that's out of line.

Finally, while you can run a fan all night on the ventilation system in the room, you cannot set the thermostat below 65 degrees. I'm the guest paying close to $200 with parking for the room. If I want it colder I should be able to make it so.

I'll be looking for another place to stay next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank scannermaster
Marr601, Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

We are sorry to hear that the Courtyard brand standards are not meeting your needs. There are several different hotels in the Marriott Family that provide complementary coffee as you have noted about the Springhill Suites. We can understand that your time is precious and we are sorry for any inconvenience you encountered by waiting in line. We truly appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

2 couples stayed here for two nights over the Rams/Colts game weekend. We prepaid and everything was seamless checking in. The garage below is great, but costs $23 per night I believe. The rooms were clean and the space adequate. Too far of a walk to Mass Ave (unless wearing sneakers and looking for an exercise) but not terrible to walk to Lucas Oil or Bankers Life.

If you are planning on going to Fridays for a quick bite/appetizer or the sports bar located on site, take a map. You either have to go outside or take an elevator to the garage, walk through the garage to another elevator, then go up to either joint. Very strange.

However, there are no frills, clean rooms and a good price. I’d stay again.

Room Tip: Room got warm at night on the 7th floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and the game you were in town for. The entire Marriott complex is large and we are sorry to hear it was a bit awkward for you. We hope you do come back to visit again soon and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed here for a week while at a conference and I have to say it has its pros and its cons. Business travelers take notice:
PROS:
Excellent location. You can go right across the street and run the canal. You can also walk right up the street to several restaurants.
Good mini-bar and mini-deli in lobby. So if you are hungry there is something hot to eat.
Friendly staff. Staff were very helpful and nice.
Clean rooms.
CONS:
Noise. My room faced the stadium and when looking out I could just see the place where the bands play in the park. A band played almost every night of my stay and the noise was unreal. Even on the nights the concerts did not happen the noise was bad. They could not move me and I was so tired by the 4th night I thought I would die.
Price: for the amount you pay there are better places to stay. Parking and room rates were high for the value I received.
Restaurant/Bar Service: They did not have enough coverage at the bar/deli counter - ever The line was horrible every day and every night. I gave up for the most part. One or two people working so the wait is not worth it for busy travelers.
Bed Comfort: Just not that comfy - found it hard to sleep.

In the end, make sure if you are staying here on business for a few days you CHECK WHICH SIDE YOUR ROOM IS ON. Ask if they are having a concert in the park. Also, in the morning give yourself lots of time, be early if you are planning to get coffee or eat in lobby.

Those are my tips. I am returning tomorrow and booked a different place to stay even though my meetings will be right across from this hotel. That should tell you something.

Room Tip: Ask about concerts in the park. Stay away from rooms near the stage area or facing the stadium near...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Allison C
Marr601, Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

We are glad to hear you enjoyed the friendly staff, Clean room and location to down town. I am truly sorry that the events downtown disrupted your stay and the speed of services at the Bistro was slow. We hope you will reconsider staying with us again in the future. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Great location, the hotel is adjacent to the JW Marriott and attached to the convention center. I have stayed at the JW and for the money the Courtyard is just as comfortable, rooms were large and comfortable. I would certainly stay here again for a stay downtown.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family