“Good - Less than expected”

Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown
Ranked #55 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We spent the weekend at this hotel during the Indy 500 weekend. It sits on a block that contains other Marriott properties, and we ended spending more time at those, than our own. The reason mostly was that the bar / cafe Bistro on property seemed to have limited hours and was not open during the times when folks were looking for a sandwich, an appetizer or a drink. With the hotel full for the race, you would think that they would be more accommodating. So we instead went to TGI Fridays in the property next door. If they are owned by the same folks, then they probably did not care.

The other issue I had with the hotel was the quality of the mattress. It felt old and tired, sagging in the middle. I guess I have been spoiled by the nice quality mattresses I find at the Hampton and Holiday Inn hotels. Hopefully, management will soon recognize that it is time to upgrade.

The rest of the hotel was fine. The rooms were large and comfortable. The staff was friendly. the gym was good. Computer access was decent.

Room Tip: If the mattress issue I had is the norm throughout the hotel, I would choose another property.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
CYSHSIndy, Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

I hope you enjoyed the 500 during your stay with us. I am sorry that the hours of operation for the Bistro did not meet your needs as well as the firmness of the mattress. I am glad to hear you were able to utilize the TGI Fridays on the Marriott Complex to enjoy some food and beverage. We thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I got to stay at the Courtyard Indianapolis downtown on a recent business visit. This hotel was close to Downtown Indianapolis near the museum, Lucas Oil stadium and Victory field. The rooms were very comfortable and so were the beds. Wi-Fi was complementary and the breakfast included in the room package is very convenient for grab and go customers. The lobby and the the restaurant the very clean and inviting. The staff was super friendly at both the lobby as well as the breakfast bistro. Room service from TGI Friday's was an added advantage. Overall a convenient, pleasant and enjoyable stay. Would highly recommend this courtyard for anyone visiting Indy.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Trevelling_Macs
CYSHSIndy, Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

We are happy to hear you enjoyed the Bistro restaurant, a comfortable room and easy access to the Indianapolis attractions. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was my first stay at the Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown and I was pleased with my stay. The hotel is quite new and as such, there is very little wear and tear at this point. I loved the fact that you can order room service from TGIF, which is just around the corner from the hotel, and charge it right to your room. They take orders until 11 pm which worked out perfectly when we arrived, starving, at 10:30 after a long, delayed flight. I ordered chicken skewers on a bed of rice and vegetables and the food arrived at my door about 25 minutes later, still hot, which was awesome. The other thing I liked about this Courtyard is that it has HBO (and a large selection of other channels). The bed was very comfortable, and I slept great. My only wish is that the bathroom had a magnifying mirror. I understand that that is just not part of the Courtyard standard but I wish the smart people at Marriott Corp. would incorporate a magnifying mirror in all of their brand standards. It would buy them a tremendous amount of goodwill and loyalty among the over-40 crowd.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We were not informed of parking fees upon arrival, even though we parked in the hotel garage. The service desk personnel got snippy with us when we stated it wasn't posted. When we proceeded to leave the garage, we needed a room key to exit, but weren't told and weren't given one. We had to go all the way back to the lobby. The service desk gave us the key without a word, no apologies for the inconvenience or anything. It was a terrible experience. There are so many great and affordable hotels in Indy, we'll definitely choose a different one next time.

• Stayed: April 2014
CYSHSIndy, Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

I am sorry to hear that there was some confusion for you with the parking garage and you felt that the hotel staff did not explain it to you upon arrival. The parking rates are listed at the entrance of the garage and on the hotel website. We will review all areas to ensure the information is clearly stated for our guests. Thank you for your feedback and I apologize for the frustration you encountered. We hope you will reconsider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

My room had a terrible odor. When I pulled back the sheets the mattress was collapsed and grossly soiled. Housecleaning shouldn't have allowed this, ever. The front desk relocated me to a handicap room, which wasn't as bad, but near the elevators and still unclean (garbage on the floor and a strange odor).
The workout room is small and overcrowded.
The location isn't as convenient as other downtown hotels.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jim D
CYSHSIndy, Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. We are dong training with our housekeeping to address the feedback you have provided. We know we will be seeing you on your next visit to Indy, so feel free to contact the manager on duty if you have any concerns on your next visit.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I reviewed this hotel when I stayed here for a football game a couple months ago. This trip was for a work convertion held right next door at the Convertion Center. Had another great experience. It is such a convience to have everything so close and all conected by the sky-walk. I will continue to stay here when I visit Indy.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
CYSHSIndy, Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

We are happy to hear you enjoyed our second trip and the sky walk helped you get easy access to the downtown area. We look forward to your next visit. Thank you for the review.

Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

The elevators are slow to respond. Fitness room is too small and on a high traffic hallway. It is shared with the connected Springhill. Always overcrowded in the morning. Room was nice, but carpet was dirty. Bed was clean and comfortable. Lack of personal amenities like lotion and mouthwash. Just bar soap, shampoo and conditioner.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
CYSHSIndy, Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey. We are sorry to hear the elevators were slow and the fitness center was crowded. We appreciate all your feedback and hope you will reconsider our hotel for any future stay in the Indianapolis market.