“Incredible atmosphere”

Ranked #44 of 2,347 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Price range: US$5 - US$19
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Description: Tastings is a one-of-a-kind wine bar offering new levels of experience to everyone from the novice to the sommelier. With over 200 wines in stock, Tastings boasts one of the largest selections in the world for wines-by-the-taste and the largest selection in Indianapolis for wines-by-the-glass. The entire selection is available by the 2 ounce taste, glass and by the bottle. Tastings offers a bistro & tapas style menu with a large selection of cheese and charcuterie plates, flatbread pizzas, crostinis, salads, sandwiches and desserts. We also maintain a full bar with premium spirits and beer. Our entire wine selection is available for carry-out at retail pricing or can be enjoyed on premise. Tastings is also one of the best places in the city to people watch on one of our two outdoor patios.
Orlando, Florida
“Incredible atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

This is a great plave to come with a few friends. Not business, not family!
You place an amount on a card and go around tasting all the wines. Get a cheese platter..it was delicious and complimented the wines perfectly. There is outside seating if you are a smoker or enjoy watching the city's bustling people.
Call ahead of time and ask what entertainment they have scheduled. They had a great Jazz singer there when I went, which really creates a chilled atmosphere.

• Visited July 2013

Louisville, Kentucky
“Wine Bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Nice wine bar, with delicious appetizers and small bites to enjoy with the wine. Enjoyed the cheese plate and roasted olives. Nice selection of wine.

Visited August 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Love the Atmosphere, plus cool concept”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

I've been to Tastings at least once per year when I return to the Indianapolis area. It's a great place to kick back and relax for a couple of hours with friends. The concept is interesting as you buy a card with an amount you determine and use it to buy 2 ounce wine pours from the dispensers. Or you can order from their wine list. We also enjoy the large portion 'tapas' that they serve. The stuffed dates are to die for and we also enjoyed a selection of cheese and crackers. It isn't the most economical place, but it isn't why we return there year after year. There is something about people watching and being able to sit and relax without wait staff hovering over you wanting to turn your table over. We enjoyed Kelly our server. She was helpful and attentive without being too present. She stopped by as we looked up for her or casually as the evening progressed.

• Visited August 2013
IL, USA
“Interesting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

The hubby and i met up with our daughter and her partner at Tastings. Food was decent. We shared a nice bottle of Sangiovese, ok a couple of bottles. Service was a bit lackluster although everyone was friendly enough. We had a cheese plate to start, which was nice. Then the hubby had a pizza Margherita flatbread and our daughter had an artichoke & pesto flatbread. Both were tasty. Our daughter's partner had prosciutto and mozzarella crostini that looked tasty. I had the tuna, which took a couple of tries for them to get to my liking. I don't care for just the barely seared, practically raw tuna, which is what I got, despite ordering it medium rare to medium. They were very courteous about doing it over though, and once it was done to my liking, it was really good. We'd likely go back.

Visited August 2013
New York City
“I Hoped For Much More”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

It's not often you find a wine bar next door to your hotel. We arrived in the evening for late supper and a glass of wine, to find the place less than half full but hard to negotiate due to proximity of tables and chairs. For a space that asks you to wander around buying tastes from automated wine dispensers, this confounded me.

I was very surprised at the lack of wine list on line, and when I arrived, there were too many "supermarket" wines on the list, with the mid-priced wines pretending to be premiere cru while the first growths are simply missing in action. Prices, too are quite high, both for food and drink. I'd like to talk with their wine director, as the choices made seem to be random. Wines are separated by color and into groups, such as "eclectic & enticing whites" and sometimes by region. You can find Italian, Spanish, German, and Australian but no French. I worked my way around the room and found Languedoc and some Rhone wines, hard to find and nothing to write home about. From California, you could taste Chateau Montelena's 2010 Cab Sauv for $12 for a 2 oz taste, $29/glass, or $70 bottle. Several Orin Swift wines I've found for under $40 were available at $25/glass or $65/bottle- again, pricing model that seems to assume people have no accounting skills, or this is the only game in town.

Our server was very nice and tried hard in the first three minutes to explain the way the bar worked and helped us find something to enjoy on the menu, then disappeared entirely until much later. I had to bob and weave to find a water pitcher to refill our glasses, worked out a food problem with a different server, found yet another server for our check, and then our original server returned with my credit card. I still tipped 20%, but very reluctantly.

Overall, I was greatly disappointed. Perhaps the owner and manager can take some time to really review what wine bars have had good success and tweak the location and business model to a better experience. Some locals told me that right after work, the place is packed and the hottest in the area, so perhaps that's the only time to actually enjoy what Tastings has to offer. If you've been to wine bars in NYC and California, you may regret what you find here in the midwest.

• Visited August 2013