“Poorest customer service”

Ranked #34 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Louisville, Kentucky
“Poorest customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I called the property directly when I made my reservation a week prior to my stay at this hotel. I explained I had a severe allergy to feathers and was assured that my husband and I would be placed in a room containing all foam pillows. This was not the case. Upon check-in I asked the desk clerk, Lee, if the room had foam pillows as I requested. He said yes. I said, "So there aren't any feather pillows in the room?" He replied, "Our rooms have two foam and two feather pillows on each bed." I explained I was severely allergic and requested all foam pillows. He said in a rude, clearly I don't give a flying fig, manner that he didn't think he could come up with two more foam pillows. I again stressed how allergic I was and asked if he could try. He said he would call housekeeping and ask but they normally didn't give extra pillows. His attitude was rude. I didn't want extra pillows, I just wanted four foam pillows in my king room that I was assured a week prior that I could have. We wait in our room 45 minutes. Finally we call the "hotline." The postcard in the room states that if we need anything, call the hotel's "hotline." Basically this means the front desk. No answer. Waited five minutes and called again. No answer. Called again and again and again. No answer. It was pretty clear Lee wasn't taking our calls by this point. We had to leave to make our dinner reservation. On the way out we stop by the front desk and ask Lee if he was able to find our foam pillows yet. His attitude at this point was beyond rude. He was arrogant and so openly rude. We were shocked. We weren't rude, demanding people. We are Christians and live by the rule of treating everyone with respect, whether they deserve it or not. He told us they don't change the pillows in the rooms. I said, so I'm supposed to buy foam pillows because I'm allergic to the feather ones? He told me there was a Target on 86th street. My husband asked him for directions and he looked at us like we were the dumbest people on the planet and said slowly, "86th street." I asked about the satisfaction guarantee and said he wasn't living up to that. He said I guess your rooms free then, isn't it. I told him I would rather have foam pillows than a free room. He just gave me a nasty look. My husband said, lets just go, it's clear he doesn't care customer satisfaction. Again Lee said nothing, just gave us a look like we were pond scum. We left and said nothing more to him the entire stay. We were going to ask to speak to a manager the next morning but he was still the only clerk at the front desk.

When we got back from dinner there were three girls, approximately 8 years old, camped out in the hallway in front of room 520, dancing to music from their ipods. Very loud and very annoying. Were we going to bother Lee at the front desk by complaining? NO! We learned our lesson so we put up with the annoyance, which continued until 10:30PM.

My husband had to use the feather pillows and sleeping so close to feather pillows set my allergies in full motion. I woke up with a swollen face and headache. I had to take benadryl all day. Not how I envisioned speaking my mothers day getaway.

To be fair, there were things about this hotel that we liked. The water pressure in the shower was fantastic. It was one of the cleanest rooms we've been in.

Things we didn't like was the placement of towels in the bathroom. The racks holding the clean towels are in the shower. So when I had my shower the towels were damp from the steam of my husbands shower. A drawback to our room, 511, was that the light is very dim in the bathroom and hallway in front of the bathroom. The bed was a little on the firm side for us. And the major drawback was that the mini-fridge doesn't have a freezer section. I am a brittle diabetic and travel with two types of insulin's, which need to be refrigerated. Traveling, I put them in a small cooler, the size of a lunch box and use frozen cold-packs to keep them chilled. In hotels that have mini-fridges without freezers I have the front desk put them in their freezer. With Lee's nasty attitude there was no way I was asking him if he had a freezer to put my cold-packs in.

Its really a shame that one clerk can stain a hotel experience so badly. We stay at Hilton properties many times throughout the year in our extensive travels and have never been treated like this. We will bypass this hotel on our trips to Indy, that's for certain. In reading the reviews prior to making the reservation I saw all the glowing comments about the staff and that's one of the reasons we chose this property over the Hampton. I'm really sorry we did. Sure, we got the room for free, but does that make up for such a horrid experience? No. I would have much rather had a desk clerk that at least pretended to care about my needs and spoke to me in a civil tone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jessie G, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Northwest, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
I am so sorry for the experience that you received from our employee. We will take the proper steps with this employee to assure that this does not happen to another guest. I can understand with all you experienced why you are so upset, and yet I was glad you could see progress and Quality in other areas of the hotel. Putting the right pillows in a room is such an easy task and we did not deliver on great customer service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Chicagoland Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

The hotel is very nice and clean. Check in process was easy, rooms were quiet. Kids liked the pool and I really liked that the hot tub was so close to the pool so I can monitor them. Loved the coffee ready for me any time of day. The hotel boasts these dials in which you can choose your comfort setting. There was no difference in setting between our queen beds. The only setting was basically hard as a board. I hopped up on the bed to check the comfort and I mine as well have sat on a cement block. I would return only if the beds were softer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Jessie G, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Northwest, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for your great comments. We have checked into the room that you stayed in to make sure that the bed is working correctly. Thanks to your comments we can assure our next guest as well as you next stay will be up to standards.
Bay City, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

This hotel has some of the most friendly staff I have experienced with a hotel. The bartender and chef are so attentive and the front desk staff are very friendly and helpful. My room did have a bad smell, however, and the fitness room needed more sanitary wipes, but everyone was quick to try to rectify the situation. I would recommend this hotel for the area!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

We are so excited that your experience was so friendly. We have reviewed procedures to make sure things are even better. Your great comments help in motivating me and my staff in getting better every day. Thanks you again
East Sparta, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Check in was fast and easy. Was treated like a family member from start to finish. Went out of there way to make sure i was comfortable. Being a smoke free hotel the rooms smelled fresh and clean. Bathroom was clean and great water pressure. Breakfast was good with many choices.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Jessie G, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Northwest, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. Wonderful comments like this go a long ways in our attempt to be the best. Thank you again.
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I was there last night to get a room and for some reason, I guess people with reservations get bumped to the front of the line. They had one person at the front desk, and this person had no problem taking my information, and my $128 for room and tax, but it seemed like when someone else came to the front desk with a reservation, I was bumped to the back of the line. I finally got tired of waiting, went up and grabbed my money that she had put by the cash register, then said, "I'm not staying here; thank you." Then I left. I've called an left a message with the general manager this morning and I will not return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Jessie G, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Northwest, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
After talking with you this morning, we were able to contact our employee and correct the issues that you talked about. Thanks to guest like you we were able to correct this situation and hopefully gain you back as a guest of our hotel. Again our apology for this service that you received.
Aurora, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

The hotel experience was wonderful from the time I walked in to the time I left in the morning. Wonderful, friendly staff. So much to offer. Wish my stay had been longer. I definetly plan on coming to this hotel in the near future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Jessie G, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Northwest, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you so much for your great comments
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Our room never received housekeeping services for the two-day stay we had booked (but was clean and ready when we arrived). The hotel ran out of towels for both the rooms and for the pool area for the entire day on Saturday. The facilities are very nice and the location is good but they need to focus some attention upon the housekeeping side of things.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thanks you for your great comments.