“Fantastic View”

JW Marriott Indianapolis
Ranked #7 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 February 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed last June for a weekend get a way. The hotel is incredibly clean. We stayed in a corner room on the 22nd floor I believe. The view of both Victory Field and White River State Park was beautiful. My only complaint was that there was only one comfortable chair in the room and a desk chair. It was not comfortable to order room service and dine in the room. Don't miss the restaurant High Velocity. The food and service is excellent and the prices very reasonable. The hotel's location to downtown Indy can't be beat. It is close to everything.

• Stayed: June 2012
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Indianapolis

Reviewed 28 February 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights for a conference. For the most part, everything was great. The bed was comfortable, the location was awesome, and the staff was very helpful and friendly. The fitness room was top notch also. My only complaints would be...the pillows were awful. I went home with a sore back for days. I also found it pretty ridiculous how much they charged for internet service. I manage a hotel and I know how inexpensive it is to offer free internet. They are making a killing off this. Otherwise, I would stay again if I'm back in the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I was sorry you experienced a problem with the pillows. We do have foam pillows available if the standard JW pillow is not comfortable for you. I understand your comment about the Internet; however, we are required by Marriott to follow their standards so there is consistency within the brand. Currently they do require a fee at all their full-service properties. To give our guests an option, we offer complimentary wireless in the lobby and restaurants. Be assured that once this policy is changed, we will change it at the property level. Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope to welcome you back in the future. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed 26 February 2013

Good establishment, HORRIBLE service!! --- Lies, inconsistency, and great at squeezing extra money out of you!!! If it weren't for the 3 day long conference being at the hotel, I would have checked out and moved down the street to the Conrad. I may be a college student on the road, but for the money I'm paying, I'd expect service to match that.

Check in was somewhat of a hassle, but it was understandable with a lobby full of people. This is where the problems began. I needed to connect to the internet ($15/day) only to find out I couldn't because my name was not correct in their system....what's the point of verifying names and ID's?? So I tried a roommate's name and it finally worked. Talked to the front dest to be sure the charge was transferred to my personal card...didn't happen. Turndown services finally showed up after 2 days...good thing I had my own towels and toiletries. The bed was like sleeping on bricks..didn't matter much after 12 hours of traveling and conferences. But that's not the worst!

During my conference, I had left for a quick drink/bathroom break....a whole 3-5 minutes. I come back to see the meeting space has been locked for re-setting the space. I finally get in to grab some items (finance reports, data, etc.) I had left on the table--only to be told that the room is being reset and I shouldn't be in the room. As for my items, instead of checking right then, I was told to check back with "loss prevention" after the conference...a few hours later!!! I check afterwards and was told to check back again...and again....and again.... I get a call that something has been found and that it would be brought up to the room. 45 mins later I went down to ask about it AGAIN, Nothing--it was the wrong thing! Literally, after nearly 10 times, went down and asked before going out to dinner with a group. I was so frustrated at this point, being passed on from one person to another. I end up nowhere after nearly 40 mins of "checking". I had missed the bus for dinner with the group and I was stuck with a $50 room service burger for dinner. Apparently room service can make decisions for me since they didn't have everything on the menu. The server even argued with me saying it's not on the menu until I pulled the menu out!!! I checked back for my stuff in the morning before leaving and still nothing. They had people "looking" again as a valet guy is telling our bus driver that we are going to be ticketed for parking for loading. Sorry that they couldn't accommodate that!!! 30 mins or so after we leave, I get a call saying that they found my items...asked for a credit card number right away. (Sketchy....funny how this works!!) I had given them the shipping information and a thorough description of the item(s) before leaving and was obviously not passed on. Told them specifically the information is confidential to myself and work...only to have someone read the documents to me over the phone!!! I gave the information to them again over the phone a few days later to see that FedEx has charged me twice. Got the package a few days ago only to find some of the stuff missing. Not worth talking to them again. I'd rather get yelled at by the boss instead of having them "look" for the stuff. YOU HAVE MY MONEY NOW...HAPPY?!!

After all of this, all I got was "I apologize for the loss" and "We are looking...we'll even dig in the trash for you if needed". SERIOUSLY?!! No compensation or anything???!!! NEVER AGAIN JW MARRIOTT or ANY other Marriott.

...maybe the corner room with a great view of the Conrad was saying something all along!!!

Room Tip: Get a room down the street at the Conrad!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Scott B, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Dear Guest,
My name is Scott Blalock and I am the General Manager of the JW Marriott Indianapolis. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am so sorry you had these frustrations during your stay and there is no excuse for the time it took for us to respond to you. I would like to personally apologize and hear how I can help make this up to you. You may reach me directly at 317-860-4911 or email me at scott.blalock@marriott.com.

Scott Blalock
JW Marriott Indianapolis
ph: 317-860-4911.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

Due to my work (and to some extent personal) travels, I am in Indianapolis alot; as a result I have stayed at almost every single downtown hotel and a few on the North Side. The JW is far and away the very best in terms of quality of facility (excellent), friendliness and helpfullness of staff and overall experience. There are a couple of very good restaurant options in the hotel, nice workout facility and getting in and out (whether valet or self park) is smooth. Aesthetically the property is top notch- I'd call it "sleek and sophisticated" but not pretentious; rooms are terrific. The JW is absolutely my #1 choice, whether its business or personal travel that brings me to Indianapolis

Room Tip: both the City and Park (White River Park) are great- more of which one you are in the mood for; once...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback. We enjoyed having you with us, and look forward to your return. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed 25 February 2013

If you get a chance to visit Indianapolis, Indiana JW Marriott is the place to stay. The property is only a few years old, it is situated downtown and connected so you access mall, convention center, and restaurants without going outside. The rooms are true to the JW style, the staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and accommodating.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level room to take in the skyline.
Reviewed 25 February 2013

First, let me preface this by saying I have never stayed at a JW before.

My fiance and myself have been needing a quick weekend get away, where we live, we're about three hours from Indy, St. Louis, Nashville, and about one and a half from Louisville. We have been to the first three, but never to Indianapolis.

After reading reviews about Indy, what to do, where to eat, where to stay, we unanimously decided the JW was the place for us. I contacted the manager of the hotel, and asked if we could get "as close to the top as we could." He emailed me back, and asked when we were checking in. We booked just a short weekend get away, packed our bags and went.

From the moment we pulled up you knew you were staying in the lap of luxury. The building its self is absolutely phenomenal it sits great against the Indy backdrop. The valet was very nice, the majority of them complimented me on my car, asked questions, and raved about it (I am a big car person, so this was awesome).

Walking into the hotel we were greeted with a enormous lobby, and very nice ladies working the front desk. They got us checked in quickly, and informed us we were on the 33rd floor, all access to the concierge lounge, the whole package. Just like I booked. There were no mistakes, no missed reservations.

We got to our elevator, and headed up, the elevator rose at such a rapid rate, my ears popped all the way up. You had to swipe your card to get to your floor, so as to keep unwanted people from other floors. So far so good, this hotel is fantastic. As we walked into the room, we were greeted by a huge plush king size bed, a very modern designed bathroom, and the most breathtaking view of the canal, and the city.

Scott placed us in a corner room, that was basically 1/2 glass. It was absolutely phenomenal. The view, the amenities, the staff, all were flawless. The room itsself boasted a new tv, very nice furniture, comfortable seating, ample room, and floor to ceiling glass windows. We never felt cramped, or out of place.

The bed was like sleeping on a cloud, very comfortable, fluffy pillows, clean warm sheets, it was like heaven after spending a night out in downtown.

The front desk helped me make reservations at Harry & Izzys (highly recommended), guided me to the finest smoke shop in town, the best places to eat, the coolest attractions, they were literally "at my service." Always answering questions, always very nice.

We were in town the same time as the NFL Combine, and the JW, though busy, handled everything very well. Any time I called down for drinks, towels, or anything else they were very quick. I never once had to wait for my car at the valet, and they always parked me right in the front of the line. Both the restaurants, and the seating area in the lobby always seemed to be packed.

Over all, this was a fantastic experience, one we hope to enjoy again very soon. I would like to personally thank Mr. Blalock, and his staff for a unforgettable weekend trip. If you are on the line about staying at the JW, I highly recommend you do. There wasn't a single problem all weekend. I can't say enough.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colin S

Wow! I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to Indianapolis and the JW. It was our pleasure to have you with us, and we hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed 25 February 2013

I was in Indianapolis for a conference at the JW Marriott, so we booked our hotel room here as well. Check-in was really fast and the lady who checked me in was very helpful and friendly... My room was great and everything I asked for when I first booked the room. I was on the 11th floor with a great view of the city and the Indianapolis Colts stadium. The hotel is very big which was a bit confusing and got lost a bit sometimes.
Indianapolis isn't that big, so we were close to the city center... definitely staying here again next time.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Thank you for your comments. If you ever feel lost, please ask one of our associates for help. We'll be looking forward to your return. Scott Blalock, General Manager