“it sucks”

JW Marriott Indianapolis
Ranked #4 of 188 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 July 2013

a friend and I stayed here on the night of the fourth of july. we had checked out that morning and went to the game later that evening. Little did we know when we left theat we would be charged TWENTY TWO [--] DOLLARS for TWO HOURS of parking... when we were guests in that hotel not even 6 hours before. outrageous parking prices. i would rather park ten miles away and walk then pay $22 for a spot that took me 20 minute to find in a shady parking garage. as far as the hotel itself, there was hair in the drain of the shower, and the food was bland and tasteless. dont waste your money, go to a cheaper hotel and dont get ripped off by these greedy corporate bastards.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank iamagayguy g
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

I am sorry we did not meet your expectations during your recent visit, and please accept my apologies. Regarding the parking, we would have been happy to let you park into the next evening while you enjoyed the game. If you would like to call or email me, I will certainly rebate your parking charge. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,586)

Reviewed 2 July 2013

We made arrangements for my son and his bride to stay at the hotel. It could not have been a better choice. The facility is beautiful and conveniently located to the downtown area, zoo, museums, and canal area. If the weather is bad, there are walkways. Their room overlooked the canal and zoo with a floor to ceiling view, and they had access to the club level. Neither of them have traveled extensively, so what they appreciated the most was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, who made a point of remembering them and calling them by name. They said they never felt awkward. The concierge staff was also most helpful, arranging massages and a horse drawn carriage ride as well as directing them to local area restaurants. Several weeks later they are still talking about it as a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve R
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

It was our pleasure to welcome your son and his new bride to our property. We hope to welcome them back for their anniversary (if not before). Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed one night at the JW Marriott for a concert at the near by White River Garden's State Park.

The hotel is very nice. It is modern, clean, and luxurious. Check-in went smoothly despite how busy the lobby was when we arrived. The gentlemen checking us in even escorted us to the elevators to ensure that we took the correct elevators. The elevators turned out to be the only navigate part of our stay. Any time we used the elevators, there was a fairly long wait.

Our room was on the 28th floor and overlooked Indianapolis. The floor to ceiling windows gave an impressive view. The room was very clean. The bed and bedding was prefect. I normally don't sleep well in hotels, but I slept very well in that bed. There was no bath tub in the bathroom, but a very nice oversize shower took its place.

The hotel is well located for some of the museums downtown, the zoo, the convention center, and Victory Field. It is few blocks from most of the restaurants and bars downtown, but Indianapolis is a pretty safe town so it isn't a big deal to walk a little. In the winter or rain there are covered walkways connecting the hotel to other parts of downtown.

We had a drink at the bar after the show. The drinks were very well priced for the level of the hotel. The bar tender, while he seemed new, was very friendly.

We also enjoyed the breakfast buffet as part of our room rate. It was a very nice buffet, but I don't think I would had spent the $22+ for it. They offered made to order eggs and waffles. They also had a very good selection of breads, muffins, fruit, yogurt, breakfast meats, and potato.

Parking is very easy and located on Washington street. The garage is very bright and clean. We did have some issues when we exited the hotel with our key after check-out, but they had a worker stationed there to help out. Must be an ongoing issue.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors facing downtown
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank aorton

Thank you for your feedback. It was our pleasure to have you with us, and we hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed 1 July 2013

My friend and I booked a package for the weekend to celebrate her batchlorette "party" (if two people are a party). The package info stated we would receive breakfast each morning, self parking and a welcome amenity. So with two nights in the hotel that should be 4 things: 2 days of breakfast, parking, and an aminity.

At check in, there was some computer glitch so they couldn't run my card through. The nice young man said oh we have an envelope for you... He went to get it. I thought great that would be the breakfast vouchers and our amenity. It was a sealed envelope with not two breakfast vouchers but one, though we didn't find this out until later. The aminity card was separate, we picked an in room movie with popcorn and sodas delivered.

We had an event to go to so didn't spend time at the hotel just dropped or bags and left. The next morning we found that we only had one breakfast voucher, were we wrong did we only get one meal? Neither of us brought our electronics with us so we could relax so we couldn't check. We explored the hotel before breakfast since my friend had booked a pakage of her own there for her honeymoon. The building is wonderful! The gym and spa area are excellent. The breakfast buffet is outstanding!

So we went out for the morning and came back for our movie and popcorn. Well popcorn is a bit of a mislead. What we got was a plastic popcorn box with a tiny bag of Carmel corn, m and m's, pretzels, and trail mix. Not enough popcorn to enjoy with a movie. And the server even noted that because the aminity card didn't have a spot to say what soft drinks they just picked for us...lucky I like sprite and my friend likes coke.

When I pulled up the on tv check out Sunday morning they had charged us for our amenity movie. I went down and did at the desk check out to correct that. But as we tried to leave the parking garage, the system wouldn't recognize out self parking as free, and we got charge for it .

So pakage amenities: free breakfast each morning of stay-nope got shorted one out of two
In room movie and popcorn- nope tried to charge us and gave us barely enough popcorn to last 20 minutes of the movie if we ate a single kernel at a time.
Self parking included-nope got charge for it as we left.

I am certainly calling them today to get my parking fee back, but because of all this my friend is actually canceling her honeymoon reservation. If they can't meet our simple package requirements then her larger package? No way.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel that should get you a great room with actual service!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bret T

Thank you for your feedback, and please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of service you received. This is not typical of our hotel. I understand you have spoken to my Front Desk Manager regarding your stay, and you will be returning to give us a chance to regain your confidence. I am sure you will find your past experience to be the exception. We'll be looking forward to your return. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed 29 June 2013

My family and I stay one night. The girls were in awe! The hotels itself is unbelieveable! The service is wow. The reason we stay here was it got the room through another site super deal. Pick a 4 star hotel in downtown indy and we got this one. Was an incredible stay. The only thing is really scaring me now. I prepaid through the other site but they charge my card at checkin at check out and after I got home. Each time different amounts. $30 for parking is steep to me. But I prepaid so why is there any charges period! Hotels was truely amazing and a dream, but the fees and charges have been a nightmare.

Room Tip: The lower #'s like 1505 the 05 part had better views of city.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank swimjigboy

Thank you for staying with us here at the JW Marriott and for your many kind comments. I was sorry there was confusion regarding the parking fee. If you feel there is an error, please call my office at 317-860-4911 and we'll be happy to look into it for you. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed 29 June 2013

Like any other JW Marriott the Indianapolis location lives up to its reputation as an outstanding hotel. You have quite a few choices in downtown Indy, particularly upscale hotels and this location provides great views all around whether you want to look at the river, Victory baseball field, Lucas Oil stadium or the State Capital building! The JW is right next to the canal and is a great way to see a beautiful part of downtown and you can in fact walk right across the bridge to the Indianapolis Zoo.

Self-parking or valet is costly anywhere downtown but a little higher at this location than most. The rooms are a nice size and bed is extremely comfortable. Aromatherapy products are provided which is a very nice touch. The staff are extremely friendly and will walk you to the elevators chatting with every step making sure your comfortable. They have two restaurants on either side of the hotel - one a sports bar and the other fine dining. In the upstairs atrium they also have a Starbucks.

As a Hilton Diamond member you have access to the concierge lounge which has plenty of snacks and heavy hors d'oeuvre's to eat throughout the day although beer, wine & liquor are not complimentary at this location unfortunately. The best view of the city and Capital building are seen from here!

Overall this is a great hotel and I've never been displeased with any stay and definitely will return!

Room Tip: I don't think this location has a bad view from any room!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your great comments, and we hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed at the JW Marriott in Indianapolis, Indiana on business during the month of June 2013. I think this was the first time my check-in clerk walked me to the elevator (which apparently wasn't an accident because the other clerks walked my colleagues too). The rooms was very spacious and allowed you to control the temp in your room. It had the standard coffee, tv, and desk with the beds (I had a double room), but they were all beautiful, huge, comfortable, and stylish. The views were gorgeous no matter what time of day or weather (it rained and it was sunny while I was in town). I recommend asking the clerk to put you as high as possible, and they're happy to oblige. They had a couple of restaurants attached to the restaurant, and I went to the sports bar one. That one had a pretty standard fare though nothing spectacular, but they had great service and my colleagues liked what they served. You could get or control your own tv if you didn't find what you wanted on the huge tvs in the room. The bathroom was beautiful and roomy. It was just a great and very comfortable and quiet stay (and they had a couple of conventions lol). I could barely tell, and to me that's a great place to stay. It's also close to the baseball stadium and a lot of restaurants downtown so the place is convenient. I didn't have to deal with parking and internet, but you may want to call and get details. I really recommend this place.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor -- there's over 30 and the views are great
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

We appreciate your recommendation and hope to welcome you back in the future. Scott Blalock, General Manager