“Lovely hotel with A++ customer service”

JW Marriott Indianapolis
Ranked #7 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here last November for a business conference. Upon entering the lobby, there are many concierge type individuals who bend over backwards to assist you. They utilize your name, offer directions to your room, and basically do whatever you require to make you happy. We had a room on the 8th floor and while our hotel room key did not work in the elevator to get us up to the 8th floor, there was always a nice elevator companion who was more than happy to help. The room was gorgeous with comfortable beds and luxury linens. One night my husband and I ordered room service and requested a bottle of Korbel. They were out of it and substituted a similar selection but also sent several desserts gratis for our trouble. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback, and I'm happy to see the staff took great care of you. I will share your comments with my team. Again, it was a pleasure having you with us, and we hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Having stayed here in September 2013 (see my other review) and loved our stay, my wife and I were expecting great things on our recent 2nd stay. Unfortunately, this was not the case, and our 2nd stay was, to be kind, a tremendous and utter disappointment. Bear with me, as I want to try and give as much perspective and detail as possible.

We were staying in Indianapolis for our first wedding anniversary weekend, which also happened to be Valentine’s Day weekend. We arrived after a truly hellacious drive from the Chicago suburbs (crazy snow!). Lobby was jammed, but lots of pleasant and smiling staff were on hand to tend to everyone. After a short wait, we were ushered up to the desk. We gave our information, and were told that our room with two queen beds was ready and waiting. Wait, did you say two queen beds?? We reserved a king bed. We told the smiling front desk agent that it was our anniversary, and we requested and needed a king bed (all the while, my wife is standing there with a vase full of flowers). She tried to accommodate, with no luck. We expressed our disappointment, and she then went to talk to a manager. The manager returned with her a couple minutes later, looking intently at the computer screen. After a short time, he also told us that there was nothing he could do and that they were “oversold” on king rooms. "Oversold" is something I expect to hear from certain airlines that we avoid, not a JW. He told us we have booked through Expedia, and that they often say that things are available when they are not. We did not book through Expedia. He gave us some complimentary breakfast coupons, and we headed to our room. Bummer. Not a good way to start.

Room was generally fine at first look. Large mirror near one bed was noticeably dusty (small thing, I know...but still) in places, and the same was found in a few other spots, but nothing earth-shattering. Then, the shower. Later in the evening just before bed, my wife showered and found what was truly the most hideously disgusting thing on the interior of the shower curtain liner. I have debated whether or not to post the photo, and have decided not too since it is frankly just too disgusting, but let’s just say it was something clearly ejected from the nose of a previous guest. She let the front desk know first thing the following morning (we just wanted to crash at that point), and was assured it would be taken care of. Having then gone out for the day, we returned that evening to a message that the curtain liner had been replaced. I went to shower, and saw it was indeed not on the liner, or so I thought. About halfway through, I saw a shadow on the front end of the liner, pulled back the liner slightly, and recoiled in horror when I saw the same nostril remnants as before! Someone had knowingly taken off the shower liner, but instead of replacing it as we had been told, instead simply turned it around and put it back on! Needless to say, this led to another conversation with a manager, resulting in more food comps. By this point, however, we were pretty much fried, and so profoundly disappointed that we almost just left that night.

Some other items:
- Wine glasses delivered to the room were carried and handed to us, bare handed, by a smiling associate. A suggestion for next time = tray, doily, no contact with the associates bare hands, and clear of water marks.

- Bath towels were about on par with what you find at any roadside motel, i.e. rough.

- Sheets and comforter, at least on the queen beds, when you are actually in the bed, barely reach the side of the bed, and should you roll at all, you will lose coverage, i.e. they at too small.

- Interior of the frosted glass bathroom door was full of dark splatter marks, as if someone had flicked a paintbrush with black or brown paint at it several times. What could it be??

- Hotel was so full on the Saturday night, we were met at the exterior of the underground parking garage by someone suggesting we park elsewhere (we luckily tried to find a spot, and did). Not what you want to hear after a long day out.

- Parking lot card reader was not working properly one evening.

- $14.95, per day, for Wi-Fi?? I understand you are a convention/business hotel and it is a revenue stream, but crikey.....you are one of the most expensive hotels in town, charge almost $30 per day for parking, and then add on Wi-Fi also? Call me crazy, but it feels very ticky-tack. Think it might be time to include that in the nightly rate.

Some good:

- Issues were always handled with smiles and helpful attitudes.

- Staff at brunch could not have been more helpful and pleasant.

- Some bell staff we encountered in the elevator, again, could not have been more proactively helpful and accommodating when we were unsure of where to find something.

- Overall facility is very impressive.

- Food and waiter at Velocity Sports Bar were great.

All in all, while we appreciate and truly understand that nothing is perfect, so many of the things we encountered are easy fixes, and just should never happen in a hotel trying to be in the upper echelon like the JW. The biggest issue was the willful disregard for guest comfort by first leaving a disgusting remnant in the bathroom for us to discover and, worse, trying to cover it up sloppily and lying about the action taken. Whether it was a breakdown in training, communication, etc., it should NEVER happen like this, and unfortunately it ruined our anniversary stay, and now neither of us can see how we can possibly stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid city-view rooms if street noise (i.e. car horns, sirens, etc.) bother you at all.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sporty2112

Thank you for letting us know of your visit, and please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you experienced. Needless to say, I am embarrassed and will follow up with my team. I would very much like to speak with you about your experience. At your convenience, please give me a call at 317-860-4911.
With regards to the Internet charge, I understand your comments and wanted you to know that we are required by Marriott to follow their standards so there is consistency within the brand. Currently Marriott does have a fee at their full-service properties. To give our guests an option, we offer complimentary wireless in the lobby and restaurants.
I realize the parking is expensive, but we are competitive with all the full-service properties in the downtown area.
Again, I am very sorry for the problems you incurred and hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in our facility and service. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We recently stayed for a girls weekend. We had a group of 15. From the valet, standing out in the cold snow, to the friendly check in...we knew we made the right choice. Daniel checked us in and could not have been more accommodating. He provided outstanding service and walked us to the elevator. Jay, the concierge, made wonderful dinner reservations for our large group and was in contact with me several times before our arrival. The rooms are large, clean, well maintained and service is prompt. The sports bar was very well stocked and service was friendly. We arrived back to the hotel late in the wee hours. The lobby was secure and we felt safe. I was so impressed with this hotel, I want to make a trip back to Indy just to stay there again. I cannot imagine a nicer place to stay!

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank you for your great post, and we are happy you decided to stay with us here at the JW Marriott. I was glad to see Daniel and Jay were so helpful, and I will share your kudos with them. It was our pleasure having you with us, and we hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel multiple times and the experience has been exactly the same every time, OUTSTANDING! It feels like I've arrived home and everyone wants to greet me. I can't think of a better hotel to stay at. The valet's are super friendly and fast, the doorman is right there to get my luggage. The front desk folks walk out from behind the desk, greet me and walk me to their station. Check in is simple and fast and they walk me to the elevator. The rooms are just fantastic with all the amenities I want and tremendous view of downtown Indianapolis. The restaurant and lounge are incredible. Delicious food, fast friendly servers and always smiles. Everyone at the hotel is polite, smiling and helpful. I just feel like I've arrived home and my two Great Danes have greeted me at the door with jubilance and excitement. That's how this hotel's staff are.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your outstanding feedback. I'm so happy we can be your "home away from home", and I will share your kudos with the team. We'll be looking forward to your next visit. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We were in town for a volleyball tournament. 2 moms, 3 girls, 2 rooms, 2 nights, 3 days and a whole lot of luggage! From the time we pulled up to the valet to the time we checked out every need was met with a smile and impeccable service. The bellman had no problems delivering all of our items with a smile. With the elevator security system we felt totally safe and had no issues with our HS girls coming and going. Room service prices were very reasonable and always delivered hot and within the stated time frame. Bar service was outstanding as was the food from the Italian dining room. Connection to the convention center was wonderful and hotel is within walking distance to all the nightlife. We had a wonderful weekend and would love to return!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback, and I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to the JW Marriott and Indy. We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed 11 February 2014

My wife and I have stayed here several times over the past two years. We have always enjoyed our stay. The staff does a fantastic job of taking care of us. The JW has become our go to hotel when we want to get away.

Room Tip: We always request a corner room. Views are fantastic!!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

We appreciate your continued patronage, and look forward to being your "home away from home" in the future. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed 10 February 2014

First the positives:
Our room was clean and very comfortable. The food and beer in all the restaurants were excellent
Now for the negatives:
First no one came to help us get our bags from the car. (I was on crutches with a broken leg). A bellman came to offer to take it to our room once we had the trolley inside. My husband remarked, "no, I got in here from outside, i can take it the rest the way up". No one apologized
Second there was melted snow in the doorway on arrival and my crutches slipped when I came into the front door. I did not hurt anything seriously but it was physically painful that night and scary at the time since I was to be non weight bearing and I landed on my bad leg.
Third, the valet service was horrible and this is not the first time. A year ago I took customers there and I waited over 30 minutes that time for my car thus getting my colleague back to his meeting late. This time we asked for the car at 7:40 AM. We were told it would take 10-15 minutes to get our car. I stayed in the lobby and waited for the car while my husband went up to get the remaining two suitcases. AT 7:55 my husband asked one of the valets where our car was and he said it should be here in 10 minutes. When it was not there by 8:05 my husband asked the same guy again where our car was as we had been waiting almost 30 minutes. The valet beligerantly said "you have not been waiting 30 minutes". Walking on snow with crutches, I went in to the key room at that time and asked the lady and she verified the time that we had requested the car, found the keys and we had our car at 8:10 exactly 30 minutes after the initial request. As my car pulled up, the same rude valet almost gave my car to another customer. I had to point out that the car had my disability hang- tag as well as our key chain (and the number matched our ticket rather than the other guys). This valet does not represent the Marriott well. I think things need to improve at this JW. I have stayed at other luxury hotels around the world such as the Intercontinental and Ritz and this JW in no way compares. If it is representative of other JW then I will NEVER stay at one again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for completing a guest survey and for your recent post. I am terribly sorry for the problems you experienced with our valet team, and I can assure you that we will take steps to see that this situation does not recur. I appreciate your feedback and hopefully one day you will give us a chance to regain your confidence in our service. Scott Blalock, General Manager