“Not "exceptional luxury" like other JWs”

JW Marriott Indianapolis
Ranked #7 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not "exceptional luxury" like other JWs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I don't generally have high-end luxury taste but was excited that we booked a "JW" Marriott for this trip to Indy...having stayed at JW hotels in other cities that go the extra mile in many ways. This is a good, clean hotel that is centrally located but just did not meet the expectations I had of this brand. It did not seem like those in our group staying in other convention area hotels missed out on much.

My initial disappointment in the room was when I arrived and started to unpack. The closet was too shallow for a usual clothes rod extending side to side. Instead it had two racks of 6 or so hangers each that face you. There was not enough depth in the closet to lay a carry on suitcase in...depth was a little more than length of my shoes. There was a shallow safe in a drawer. The desk chair was a pretty worn, scuffed (not patina) leather and chrome with uncomfortable, unpadded armrests. Both shower and sink water pressure were kind of weak and the liner in the shower was too long so it soaked in bottom of the tub.

Décor was modern. Good access of reading lights, outlets, etc. There was a cool A/V input panel on side of the desk for PC, game, or other connection to the TV. In room Wi-Fi worked well and was complimentary for our conference group...just had to sign in and accept the standard daily charges which did not appear on the final bill.

Fitness Center is one of largest I've seen in a hotel...was free space for the CrossFit junkies to jump around. Sufficient cardio and strength equipment for others...with locker room area and a small pool as well. Seemed like a space this size would have more than one set of dumbbells though...several of us waited on each other routinely. There also were only 2 exercise mats I could see when I needed one.

The hotel sits in a cluster of hotels near the convention center and Colts football stadium. It's a nice area. There are parks, river, paths, and a little canal to wander. There are several historic sites and plenty of restaurants as well. The vibe is certainly influenced by proximity of the Indiana University / Purdue University campus. I was pleasantly surprised...not Chicago but not at all boring.

Room Tip: Rooms can view city or river
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Phil R, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations for your stay. We always try to provide our guests with an excellent experience and we did not achieve this for you. Be assured that we will review your comments and work at correcting any issues.
It is my hope that one day you will give us an opportunity to regain your confidence.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights and found the staff excellent, bed comfy, walking distance to anyplace I wanted to go, and decent food in the lobby bar. Perhaps the light menu in the lobby bar was the only thing that wasn't up to par. All else was great and I'd stay here again!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your great feedback and I will share your comments with my team. We will continue to work to provide our guests with an excellent experience. Thank you again for your post and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed here for four nights on a business trip. The hotel is beautiful, well positioned with nice sized rooms and brilliant service. My room had a great view of the city and it's in walking distance of the stadium, some nice restaurants, the local museums and only a ten minute walk to the nearest shopping centre. I attended a function at the hotel and the breakfast and meals provided were always very good, the staff can't do enough to help you and was an overall great experience. I'd thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone and if I'm in town again I'd stay here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your positive comments. It was our pleasure to have you with us, and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

As with all JW Marriott's, this is a beautiful hotel. The rooms are large, comfortable and very clean, everything works. I will say that the hot water heater for our room must have been on the next block as it took a while to warm up, but that's not a huge issue. The water was hot when it got there.

We stayed two nights on the 27th floor in a corner room. The windows are floor to ceiling and the views of the city are beautiful. Indianapolis is a vibrant, clean place with much to do downtown. The hotel is across the street from their minor league baseball stadium and less than six blocks from Lucas Oil Stadium, both exceptional facilities. You're also within walking distance of countless restaurants and bars and the nightlife is plentiful.

We were very busy so just ran through the executive lounge on the 31st floor but, oddly, there really wasn't much available there. Had we been able to make it for happy hour, I'm sure that wouldn't be the case.

The staff is as attentive as one would expect in a property of this level and quick to help or address any questions. The beds are superb. We were beat and, as my wife said to my son, it was like sleeping on a cloud. Very high quality linens as well.

We did get the earlier than expected housekeeping knock on checkout day, which seemed rather odd. We'd actually hoped for a late checkout so we could get some much-needed rest but, alas, were informed that wasn't possible. I do think they could have waited until we checked out at 11 am to show up to clean the room, but maybe that's just me.

My only complaint might be street noise. Yes, even on the 27th floor, you could hear traffic. Granted, it was a big motorcycle race and rally weekend in Indy and some of the bikes were exceptionally loud but, truly, you could hear traffic most of the night. Strange but true.

Regardless, a great hotel and responsive staff. I'll definitely be there again next year if not before.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are very nice, especially up high. The views of the city are impressive! Ask for a...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DVenturesMark
Thank you for your feedback and I appreciate your many kind comments about your experience. With regards to late check-outs, we do try to accommodate our guest requests; however, we have had many sold-out days recently and needed the rooms for guests checking in. I am sorry if you were inconvenienced.
It is my hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Cleveland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was the second time I had stayed at this hotel and the first time (August 2013) was an incredible experience. Due to that, we decided to stay at this hotel again in August of 2014. This time was a lesser experience.

From the time we walked in to check-in there were issues. I was wanting to pay with split tender and the service associate took it upon himself to authorize the entire amount onto one of my credit cards, therefore tying it up for my entire stay. We corrected the issue but there was no guarantee I wouldn't be charged.

When we got to the room it was as expected, clean beds, comfortable temperature and a great view. The next morning when we took showers we found out that the tub wouldn't drain and we would take showers in a minimum of ankle deep water. This was incredibly frustrating but luckily was corrected when we reported the issue. Following our event we came back to the room and saw that housekeeping had not tended to our room so we called for new towels for showers. It took a total of 3 phone calls to housekeeping to receive our towels. We received 4 towels and only 1 washcloth. Brilliant.

Throughout the day, we attempted to use the lobby restrooms upon passing through only to encounter then backed up and flooded 3 times in less than 24 hours. This is unacceptable.

The next morning we were bombarded with housekeeping knocking on our door at 8:30am to which their reply to seeing us was "Oh, you're still here?" They came again no more than an hour later giving off an even more irritated demeanor because we hadn't left. Mind you, check-out is not until 11:00am. The morning was difficult because the toilet stopped working and was useless as we were trying to get ready.

By the time we left the hotel we were less than satisfied and decided for the money we paid we would not be staying at this hotel again. It may be close to the surrounding attractions (Lucas Oil Stadium, for us) but we will be using a new hotel for the rest of the years we visit Indianapolis.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your post and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. If you would like to discuss this further, please give me a call at 317-860-4911.
I do hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence in our facility and service.
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Beautiful property in the middle of everything> Great Location. Lucas Oil Stadium a short walk as well as shopping. A lot of cool restaurants around.
Service at this property was impeccable and will make it a point to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Phil R, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
We enjoyed having you with us. I appreciate your kind comments and will share this information with my team. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Basseterre, St. Kitts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

JW Marriott Hotels are among my favorite in the Marriott chain and on the rare occasion that they offer a government rate, they are an excellent place to stay. One of the largest hotels in the Midwest, the JW Indianapolis is about 5 blocks from the center of Indianapolis. My room was exceptionally clean and comfortable. I had access to the concierge lounge which was well stocked in the evening/mornings and all of the staff I encountered were exceptionally professional and courteous. Wifi is free to Gold/Platinum Marriott members. Lots of choices for dining on the property and they are really close to downtown Indianapolis and one of my favorite restaurants (Palominos).

Room Tip: I had a room on the 17th floor away from the elevator with a downtown view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your post and we certainly enjoyed having you with us. I will share your feedback with the entire team and we'll be looking forward to your next visit.