“An Excellent Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Germantown, Tennessee
“An Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

If in the Indianapolis area I would recommend checking out this property. Prices are comparable for any large city and the service was outstanding from check in to check out. The rooms are nice size and the rooms offer a great view of the city or the zoo if on the back side. The executive lounge is well stocked for breakfast and an evening cocktail. The lobby bar is nice and offers a great selection of liquors. I enjoyed everything about my stay. A short walk to several good downtown restaurants.

Room Tip: High floors offer a killer view. I would recommend the city view. The glass is essentially sound p...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Phil R, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Thank you for your excellent post. It was a pleasure having you with us, and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Korean first
Athens, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Nothing much to review outside of the wonderful facility and amazing service. We received ALL THAT WE NEEDED and nothing we didn't. We love staying at the JW for our stay at gencon and will continue to patron the hotel. Thank you again for the comfortable stay.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It was our pleasure having you here during the GenCon convention and we will look forward to your next visit.
Norman, Oklahoma, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

The JW Marriott in Indianapolis was comfortable, clean, and convenient for the convention I attended there. One wall of our room was a window. We were on the 28th floor and the view from the window was spectacular!. We looked out on the White River and the park area surrounding it.
The hotel was situated in downtown Indianapolis by the Indian Art Museum, the capitol building, the ball park and stadium. It was connected to the Convention Center by a skyway and other hotels by a skyway.
The room was clean and had everything we needed for comfortably getting dressed and resting.
We could set our own room temperature and since we wanted a warmer room, 72, we did not freeze in our room.
There was Internet access in the lobby and Starbucks in the hotel, but wifi was not free in the room. It cost around $16 daily.
The price of the room was competitive with other hotel prices in the area with the same amenities.I would recommend this hotel for anyone going to Indianapolis.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which has a view of the White River and its park.
Green Features: It had in room temperature settings. We could choose whether to have towels changed daily. We had to leave the towels unfolded and they would be changed for fresh ones or we could reuse them for three days. It is a Silver Level green hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your post. I appreciate your feedback and will share this information with my team. We hope to welcome you back soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I've stayed at JW for business in August 2014. The staff is focused on meeting my needs and that is appreciated. The beds are super comfortable and the rooms are fresh and clean. I especially enjoyed the sports bar next to the lobby, my server Cara was outstanding. In addition to recommending a nice meal for me, she provided me some tips for an urban adventure during my downtime. I look forward to staying at the this property in the future.

Room Tip: There are plenty of elevators and they are fast. Don't be afraid to stay on a higher floor for b...
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Phil R, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for your post. I appreciate your kind comments about Cara in High Velocity. She is a valuable member of our team, and I will share your positive comments with her.
It was our pleasure having you with us, and we will look forward to your return.
BLOOMINGTON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Four of us stayed at the JW Marriott for GenCon between 8.14 and 8.17. While I have stayed at this hotel many times before for other events (education conferences, meetings, etc) it is clear that with a captive audience, the JW is uninterested in providing a high quality stay. We arrived mid-morning on Thursday to be told that even though we had rooms booked, there was no option for self park, only valet. This continued to be the case through the weekend, upping our stay's cost by $36/night. Our room was not terribly clean on arrival: handprints on the wall (...ew) and there were strange stains on the bathroom floor. There was also only one set of toiletries and one bathrobe, two coffee cups, etc. so I called At Your Service to request additional robes and toiletries (specifically shampoo) for the four of us. A person bearing 3 more robes and a BAG of toiletries arrived promptly. However, the bag contained toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, lotions, you name it, but: no shampoo, no conditioner. The main things we requested. This is an appropriate metaphor for our stay, actually. The JW: All the things you don't need, none of the things you do.

We also left a note for housekeeping (side note: housekeeping showed up at 8:30 AM on the first day- why?) with a cash tip asking for them to please leave coffee supplies for four people. They left no extra coffee and one extra cup (total: 3). Air conditioning refused to cool the room below 70. It was a cavalcade of small, but annoying, first world problems that we simply shouldn't have had at this caliber of hotel.

There were some bright spots: luggage storage was organized and convenient, valet car return was fast. Staff did not complain when we commandeered a basement area for gaming. The view from our room was lovely.

However, for a three night stay that cost almost $1000, this is absolutely an unacceptable level of service.

Room Tip: Higher floors have excellent views- Doubles get the White River State park, single kings get downtow...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your post and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. Please be assured that I will review your feedback with my team, and we will take steps to correct our shortcomings.
If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me at 317-860-4911.
We truly enjoyed having the GenCon convention with us, and I do hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence.
Ottawa, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I struggled on whether to post a review for this property. I frequent Indy a lot for business travel and this was my first stay at this property. Typically I stay at the omni. I was excited to stay at the JW I'm a marriott fan typically. The hotel is a happening place with lots of activity in the bar and has a great Italian restaurant on site. The check in was a breeze and perfect I was really pleased when I got to the room as it was very lovely. Then I lifted the lid to the toilet and found it stained. Further look around the bathroom I noticed the previous guest used toiletries in the tub area. Obviously the room wasn't properly cleaned. At that point I should have changed rooms or called for cleaning but it was a long day so I opted to let the front staff know about it before I left for my meetings. They apologized and said they would drop the 16.95 - outrageous internet charges from my room for my 2 night stay and drop the room rate by $20:night. The room rate was dropped for one night only. They asked if I wanted to change rooms and I said no please just make sure it's cleaned properly. One would assume that this would have been done immediately because they knew I was heading out but didn't know for how long. Well guess what? It wasn't cleaned. Same stains. Same used to toiletries when I returned in the evening. I had dinner in the bar are - ok for the record. Called down for a 4 am wake up call and told them about the issue. They dropped my dinner charge. When I checked out at 430 am the night manager asked me how my stay was so I went through the issue again. He dropped my breakfast charges from the previous day. So with all the discounts they did attempt to compensate me obviously but it still left me uncomfortable. Secondly the discounts are great for my company but do nothing for me personally. The marriott should realize this and perhaps offer points to the member as compensation. All being said I'm not sure id consider this property again. Perhaps it's too large therefore communication is a challenge.

Sleep Quality
3 Thank BoomerOttawa_Ontario
Phil R, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback and please accept my apologies for the problems you incurred. This is not typical of our hotel, and I will share your feedback with my team.
I do hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence in our service. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me at 317-860-4911.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Pros: Nice rooms, newer hotel, convenient location next to Victory field and convention center. Cons: Very small pool, have to pay to park. I would recommend parking in the parking garage across the road, it is cheaper and is connected to hotel and convention center by sky bridges. Hotel is linked to convention center and several other areas downtown by sky bridges which is very nice in cold or bad weather.

Stayed March 2014
Phil R, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I will share this information with my team.
I understand your comment about the parking and wanted you to know that we are competitive with all the full-service hotels in the downtown area.
It is my hope you will continue to use our facility whenever you are in the area.