“A+ Customer Service”

JW Marriott Indianapolis
Ranked #4 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed here for six nights for sightseeing and GenCon. The thing that stood out most about this hotel was the customer service. Every staff member we came in contact with smiled and was friendly and respectful - clearly the management offers training and has high expectations of its staff - kudos. When we reported that our a/c wasn't cooling the room, it was fixed before we even finished breakfast.

The room furnishings are standard Marriott - generic but pleasant and in good repair. We found the beds to be comfortable. The absolute best part of the room was the fantastic view! We were upgraded to a 21st-floor corner room, so we had two walls of glass which overlooked the museums and White River Park. The hotel is well-situated near museums, landmarks, restaurants, baseball field, football stadium, and is attached to the convention center via an enclosed elevated walkway.

We ate in the High Velocity sports bar a couple of times - mainly out of convenience - they have good salads and sandwiches at reasonable prices ($10-13). We had breakfast in the Osteria Pronto - they have an extensive buffet breakfast for $19 which includes coffee/juice. The lobby bar is large and a fun place to hang out during GenCon.

Something that continues to irk me about hotels of this caliber are the WiFi fees and the lack of a mini fridge. (Seriously, skip the robes and fancy toiletries - which don't work for my hair type anyway - and give me WiFi.) That is why I typically stay in mid-range hotels where these things are available and included in the rate. Others have complained about the parking fees, but this is just something you have to anticipate and deal with when staying at a downtown location.

One comment I have for the Starbucks: when there is a major convention, you could significantly cut down on the morning wait time (and make more money because people wouldn't bail due to the long line) by simply putting up a separate coffee cart for people who just want regular coffee.

All in all, we will consider staying at this hotel again next time we are in Indy - due to the customer service and the view!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Phil R, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thank you for your great feedback and I will share this information with my team.
I do understand your comments about the wifi and wanted you to know that we are required by Marriott to follow their pricing guidelines so there is consistency within the brand. Currently there is a fee at their full-service properties. To give our guests an option we offer complimentary wireless in the lobby and restaurants.
Again we enjoyed having you with us over GenCon and look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,505)

Reviewed 21 August 2014

From the valet upon arrival to checkout.. a fantastic experience. The rooms were clean and the both bars were well staffed with great service. We also visited the concierge level and had fantastic appetizers.

Room Tip: Corner suites have great views.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

It was certainly our pleasure having you with us, and we will look forward to your return.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

If in the Indianapolis area I would recommend checking out this property. Prices are comparable for any large city and the service was outstanding from check in to check out. The rooms are nice size and the rooms offer a great view of the city or the zoo if on the back side. The executive lounge is well stocked for breakfast and an evening cocktail. The lobby bar is nice and offers a great selection of liquors. I enjoyed everything about my stay. A short walk to several good downtown restaurants.

Room Tip: High floors offer a killer view. I would recommend the city view. The glass is essentially sound p...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your excellent post. It was a pleasure having you with us, and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Nothing much to review outside of the wonderful facility and amazing service. We received ALL THAT WE NEEDED and nothing we didn't. We love staying at the JW for our stay at gencon and will continue to patron the hotel. Thank you again for the comfortable stay.

• Stayed: August 2014

It was our pleasure having you here during the GenCon convention and we will look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

The JW Marriott in Indianapolis was comfortable, clean, and convenient for the convention I attended there. One wall of our room was a window. We were on the 28th floor and the view from the window was spectacular!. We looked out on the White River and the park area surrounding it.
The hotel was situated in downtown Indianapolis by the Indian Art Museum, the capitol building, the ball park and stadium. It was connected to the Convention Center by a skyway and other hotels by a skyway.
The room was clean and had everything we needed for comfortably getting dressed and resting.
We could set our own room temperature and since we wanted a warmer room, 72, we did not freeze in our room.
There was Internet access in the lobby and Starbucks in the hotel, but wifi was not free in the room. It cost around $16 daily.
The price of the room was competitive with other hotel prices in the area with the same amenities.I would recommend this hotel for anyone going to Indianapolis.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which has a view of the White River and its park.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your post. I appreciate your feedback and will share this information with my team. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I've stayed at JW for business in August 2014. The staff is focused on meeting my needs and that is appreciated. The beds are super comfortable and the rooms are fresh and clean. I especially enjoyed the sports bar next to the lobby, my server Cara was outstanding. In addition to recommending a nice meal for me, she provided me some tips for an urban adventure during my downtime. I look forward to staying at the this property in the future.

Room Tip: There are plenty of elevators and they are fast. Don't be afraid to stay on a higher floor for b...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Phil R, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for your post. I appreciate your kind comments about Cara in High Velocity. She is a valuable member of our team, and I will share your positive comments with her.
It was our pleasure having you with us, and we will look forward to your return.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Four of us stayed at the JW Marriott for GenCon between 8.14 and 8.17. While I have stayed at this hotel many times before for other events (education conferences, meetings, etc) it is clear that with a captive audience, the JW is uninterested in providing a high quality stay. We arrived mid-morning on Thursday to be told that even though we had rooms booked, there was no option for self park, only valet. This continued to be the case through the weekend, upping our stay's cost by $36/night. Our room was not terribly clean on arrival: handprints on the wall (...ew) and there were strange stains on the bathroom floor. There was also only one set of toiletries and one bathrobe, two coffee cups, etc. so I called At Your Service to request additional robes and toiletries (specifically shampoo) for the four of us. A person bearing 3 more robes and a BAG of toiletries arrived promptly. However, the bag contained toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, lotions, you name it, but: no shampoo, no conditioner. The main things we requested. This is an appropriate metaphor for our stay, actually. The JW: All the things you don't need, none of the things you do.

We also left a note for housekeeping (side note: housekeeping showed up at 8:30 AM on the first day- why?) with a cash tip asking for them to please leave coffee supplies for four people. They left no extra coffee and one extra cup (total: 3). Air conditioning refused to cool the room below 70. It was a cavalcade of small, but annoying, first world problems that we simply shouldn't have had at this caliber of hotel.

There were some bright spots: luggage storage was organized and convenient, valet car return was fast. Staff did not complain when we commandeered a basement area for gaming. The view from our room was lovely.

However, for a three night stay that cost almost $1000, this is absolutely an unacceptable level of service.

Room Tip: Higher floors have excellent views- Doubles get the White River State park, single kings get downtow...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your post and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. Please be assured that I will review your feedback with my team, and we will take steps to correct our shortcomings.
If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me at 317-860-4911.
We truly enjoyed having the GenCon convention with us, and I do hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence.