“Hoosier Hospitality at its Finest”

JW Marriott Indianapolis
Ranked #7 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Merrillville, Indiana
“Hoosier Hospitality at its Finest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

There are very few negative remarks to make about this property in spite of being awakened by a fire alarm in the middle of the night! Parking attendants and bellmen (& women) greeted us warmly . Front desk staff handled both check in and check out efficiently and made corrections to a shared bill with no questions. I was there for a large convention. All our needs were met with positive, willing-to-help attitudes. The banquet staff was efficient in serving and tending to individual tables. Most impressive was the change over from one huge meeting space to several smaller meeting/dining spaces--staff worked quickly & efficiently, overlooking nothing. The on site restaurants served good, reasonably priced meals. One restaurant, billed as a sports bar, is the only sports bar that I've ever been in where the t.v.'s weren't blaring loudly. It was also large enough to accommodate all patrons and even had a quiet area. Even our fire experience was not bad. Directions were clear and hotel staff assisted those in need of help. The night manager of the adjoining Courtyard/Spring Hill Suites welcomed us into the comfort of his lobby at approximately 3:15 a.m. with the offer of coffee or other beverages. The only shortcomings my roommate and I could find was the lack of hooks and towel bars in the bathroom and the peculiar closet with not nearly enough space for women there for a week! I would stay at this hotel again if I was in Indianapolis, not only because of the attentive staff but due to its central location giving access to many downtown attractions.

Green Features: I applaud J.W. Marriott for the environmentally friendly practices used in this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Phil R, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Thank you for your excellent feedback and I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your overall visit to the JW Marriott. Be assured that I will share your comments with my team, and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
  • Korean first
West Trenton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed for three night on business. Location is great (walking distance <2 miles to all types of restaurants and sights, triple AAA baseball and Lucas Oil (Colts) stadium. Service at JW Marriott is always spot on, now add on Midwest hospitality and WOW - it is superb.

I found the interior and decor dated, the bed was not comfortable (sheets did not even fit) but generally clean. Ate at Pronto (Italian) for lunch which was good and the Sports Restaurant - Velocity which was very good. Will review separately.

One off thing is that I arrived at 4:45 pm and they too me the room was not ready - they offered to upgrade me (with immediate availability) for $15. JW Marriott upselling - tacky but I took the bait to get a room.

$194/night in August - could have found cheaper but the service (we had food during the meeting as well) was impeccable so worth it.

Room Tip: Was in 2909 (executive level requiring you to put your card in to push button) on city side versus g...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Skip H
Phil R, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I will share this information with my team. I was sorry we did not meet all your expectations, but we will do our best to rectify our shortcomings.
I do hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Lake Villa, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the JW for the GENCON Convention the weekend of August 14-17th. We chose this hotel in the convention block although it was more expensive due to "supposed" higher quality and we wanted a more luxurious stay. I have stayed at JW's before in Cancun and Chicago so I had expectations of what our stay experience should be. Upon checking in and heading up to our room, we found that our room was dirty. The beds were made and it appeared that housekeeping "cleaned the room" however by the coffee maker and the ice bucket area had 2 long black hairs and several pubic hairs, Not sure how they got there, but I really don't want to know. We then began putting our things away as we were going to be there for 4 days. Upon entering the bathroom the floor was dirty with black marks, in the corners there was built up dirt and debris, and the frosted bathroom door had stains and debris on it. We contacted the front desk and informed them and they said they would send someone up and the housekeeping manager would inspect the room the next day when cleaning. All they bothered to clean was the hair around the coffee, ice bucket area . They did make the beds and replenish towels, etc., but they did not address any of the other issues. We had 2 double beds in our room despite us asking for a king. My husband and I tried to sleep in one bed but we are not small people, so the second night, we slept apart. This us where another major issue occurred. The bed was broken. The side of the mattress was crushed down and was miserable to lay on. I immediately contacted the front desk to let them know. At this point I asked to speak with a manager. He was very nice and understanding and I explained our disappointments from our arrival and this was the last straw. We paid to stay in an upscale hotel and after cleanliness issue we now were expected to sleep on a broken bed. At the level of hotel as well as the price this is the last issue I expected to find. The manager stated that he would send someone to look at it the next day as it was 11pm by the time we had gotten back to the room that night. I said okay, but requested extra pillows. The manager also stated that he would take 20% off the bill for the issues. I said okay as I was too tired to argue any further. We waited for the pillows..... When the pillows arrived I accepted them from the gentleman that brought them up and closed the door. I set them down on the bed at which point I realized that they did not have pillowcases on them..... I once again called the front desk and asked for the same manager I just spoke with. I unformed him of the latest folly and he apologized and stated he would send up pillowcases. We then waited another 15-20 minutes and the pillowcases finally showed up. By this time it was now 11:30 -11:45 pm and I was just plain irritated. We left in the morning to attend the conference and arrived back in our room around 9pm. The bed was in the same condition they did not replace it. This was the worst nights of sleep i have experienced in quite sometime. Sleeping on a pull out sofa bed mattress would have been better and those are typically horrible. I did take pictures of the issues I experienced, because I don't believe anyone would believe that such a poor experience and lack of cleanliness and condition of the hotel would exist in a JW. I would never stay at this hotel again or recommend anyone to stay here. The staff is friendly but that doesn't really help the issues I experienced. It is not worth the extra money to stay at this property. In my opinion it offers no other advantage other than a less than clean room and a poor nights sleep for a higher price. I have included pictures. The picture with the shower in the background was taken through the bathroom frosted door. If you look at it you can see the stains and marks (dark shadows).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christine M
Thank you for your post and I understand you have already spoken to our Resident Manager regarding your visit. I do hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence.
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

The JW Marriott Indianapolis is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at. The moment you arrive you are greeted by a valet (Yes we used the service, only $5 more I think) No waiting around for someone to help. Of course you can choose to park yourself, but what the heck :) As soon as we entered the hotel we were greeted, taken to the counter and checked in. After checking in we were escorted to the elevator where we were shown how to use the elevator. (You have to use your room key to select your floor) The room was great. Exceptionally clean and the beds were very comfortable. We ate breakfast at the Italian restaurant the next morning and had the buffet. A little expensive, but not outrageous. Good selection and food was very good. The only negative was the parking. Valet was $36/day and self park was I think $31/day. I think Marriott really needs to look at this. Overall an outstanding hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback and I'm glad to see that overall you enjoyed your visit.
I do understand your comments about the parking and wanted you to know that we are competitive with all the full-service properties in the downtown area. Be assured that we will continue to monitor this.
Again, it was our pleasure to have you with us, and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
New Palestine, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Hotel itself is very nice. Just a warning if you are driving. We pulled into the parking garage and got a parking ticket that the guy that checked us in tore up and said just use your room key. We were surprised to have a $31.00 per day charge to park at the hotel. They never told us that is cost us to park. When our stay was up we had a $93.00 parking garage charge.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a confirmation
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry for the confusion with regards to the parking. We will do a better job of communicating with our guests. As a matter of information, the parking rates are competitive with all the full-service hotels in the downtown area, and we will continue to monitor this.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

My husband and I are from Indy and stayed one night (just having had a baby) as a get-away to celebrate our anniversary. The JW treated us so well and made our stay incredibly special. They gave us a gorgeous room with a beautiful view and a bottle of wine. It is a lovely hotel with wonderful service. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1JillyMac
Thank you for your kind comments, and I will share this information with my team.
From all of us here at the JW Marriott, congratulations on your anniversary and your new baby. We'll look forward to your next visit.
Parsippany, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed for two nights for a conference held here. I took the bus from the airport which was $10 and runs every half hour, taking 35 minutes coming, and only about 20+ minutes back, due to fewer stops. The lobby is quite attractive with several restaurants, and the elevators are quite fast and uncrowded. The food for the meetings was top notch. The room was quite large, with a comfortable bed and excellent bathroom. Wireless internet was included with the conference rate, but otherwise is $15 per day. Everything about my stay was perfect.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
We certainly enjoyed your excellent feedback. It was our pleasure to have you with us, and we will look forward to your next visit.