“Great good and outside patio”

The Library Restaurant and Pub
Ranked #38 of 2,416 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: When you come dine with us, this is what you'll experience... A little history, a lot of art, and above all incredible food! Our goal at The Library is to delight you with the very best foods and the very best service we can provide. Our specialty is fine steaks and exceptional food that is freshly prepared by our very talented kitchen team. We offer an extensive dinner menu including steaks, seafood, chicken, pasta, salads, and vegetarian dishes. At lunch, a bountiful, freshly-prepared salad, soup and pasta bar is offered along with a wide variety of sandwiches and daily specials. All our cuisine is only complimented with our extensive wine selection. We are located in a beautiful building, which once was the Mon Reve, an exclusive French restaurant built by the late Lou Jenn (founder of Jenn-Air) almost three decades ago. Fortunately, much of the building's grandeur has been retained for us to enjoy, from Venus' Fountain and rose garden, restored vintage crystal chandeliers, beautiful woodwork, and classical oil paintings. Recently, we have added a large patio for our guests to enjoy the outdoors, we have opened our beautiful "Upstairs at The Library" for banquets, private dining, and business meetings, and we have recently opened our beautiful new bar, complete with large screen TV's and original oil paintings of Indy's favorites - the Colts, Indy 500, Brickyard 400, and Moto GP. We look forward to serving you.
Reviewed 24 June 2014

They have a fairly extensive menu. Prices were about what you would expect and the food was excellent. Service was pretty good maybe not as attentive as you expect at a fine dining establishment. They have a large outside patio area which made for a lovely dining experience.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I live in Indianapolis and eat here at least once a month. If you are looking for a nice meal in comfortable and friendly surroundings, you should try The Library. It is located about 10 minutes from downtown Indy. Having traveled a lot on business myself, this is one of my favorite places to decompress after a long day.

This time my wife came along and we sat in the bar area rather than the dining room. Amy was our server / bartender. Since it was warm outside, my wife wanted something refreshing involving Medori. Amy gladly whipped up something on-the-fly (thanks, Amy!). I had the Kentucky Bourbon Ale (on tap) which has become my beer of choice recently.

My wife started with the grilled romaine salad while I went for the more traditional lettuce wedge with blue cheese. I have had the lettuce wedge in a lot of restaurants and The Library's is one of the best. The yogurt-based, home made dressing makes the difference with lots of chunks of blue cheese and diced tomato. I like mine with the fresh cracked pepper. (Be advised, salads are separate and not automatically included with your entree.)

And speaking of entrees, my wife went for the portobello mushroom filet while I selected my personal favorite, the prime rib. Both were well-prepared and delicious - we didn't go away hungry. We had a nice bottle of Spanish red with our meal. At $38 per bottle it was decent value versus the crazy mark-ups you find at most better restaurants.

For dessert we selected the vanilla ice cream-stuffed brownie. A nice, chewy brownie (not the dried out "cake style" you get at a lot of restaurants) topped with whipped cream. Satisfied our "chocolate tooth" with no problem. A wonderful ending to a nice meal.

A few other comments. First, don't confuse this establishment with the restaurant of a similar name in Carmel, IN -- they are not related. Second, The Library has the feel of a locally-owned establishment, which it is; that is why we like it. Third, I consider The Library to be good value, but do not confuse this comment with "cheap". If you want "cheap", there is an Indy's Restaurant and a Waffle House across the street. The Library is good value because of what you get for what you pay. My experience (and it is considerable) suggests you will pay 25-50% more for a comparable meal if you were in downtown Indy rather than at The Library. Give it a try.

2  Thank V P
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Arrived in Indy and staying one night near airport before heading downtown. I really enjoyed the walleye seafood dish with a Kentucky bourbon beer. Brittney was my server, super nice. Relaxed and heading back to hotel! Perfect.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

best night out in forever, amy the bartender went above and beyond to make this a great experience, I will highly recommend this to all my friends. food was outstanding

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Frank J
The Maple Bourbon Pork chop was over the top delicious!!!! Our server, Amanda, was very professional and made our dining experience very memorable She recommended the Venus Delight dessert which turned out to be one of the best my wife and I have ever eaten. the prices were good which topped off a great meal.
We hit a home run with this meal as we traveled through Indianapolis.