“Meat Market”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I knew Bella Vita when it was a couple of miles down the road at Brook School Rd and visited at its current location, on the water at the Geist Marina, many times over the years. It had, however been two years since my last visit. It was most definitely a place for singles to meet and be seen on the patio where they had a band on weekends, but the food was good and the restaurant upscale, a nice place. After visiting last night, however, it will be my last time there. It is definitely a successful business judging from the crowds of people crammed into the restaurant and outside seating. There are lots of servers running around in shorts and tennis shoes, and the atmosphere is sort of like a busy cafeteria. Outside you can purchase seating in a special "cabana" area for $250 so you can watch the scantily clad 20-30yr old women gyrate their stuff on the dance floor in front of the band. The food was ok. The interior of the restaurant has taken a beating over the last couple of years. I believe they once had white table cloths; now they have crummy wooden tables and beat up chairs as well as booths which make the place look like a crappy cafeteria. So once it was a lovely dining experience...no more. I'm guessing that Henry will work as owner and chef here for a few more years, make lots of money because of its location and reputation as a place for singles and those who want to be single to meet. I hated the atmosphere. And $12.50 for four sad little stuffed mushrooms?

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I have enjoyed this restaurant for several years, ever since the current owners took over and renamed the place "Bella Vita". In fact, the food is very good, and the setting is great. But my rating is 2 out of 5 because of the women who are supposed to greet customers as they enter thru the front door.

More than once, but most recently 2 weeks ago, I walked in with a party of 7. Some of my other family members were ahead of me, closest to the "welcome" desk. There were 2-3 young women there, completely ignoring my party. They did not even acknowledge our presence. I finally approached the desk and simply started talking, asking if they could seat a party of 7. There were empty tables in clear view, yet they told us there were none available, and it would be a 1 1/2 hour wait. The time of our arrival was 8:15pm.

So the message to me was loud and clear: They do not want my business. And I suspect maybe they want only business from those arriving via boat, or whatever. We were dressed well.

So fortunately there are many great restaurants on the northeastside of Indianapolis. I won't be going to Bella Vita ever again.

1  Thank Walt O
Reviewed 4 June 2014

On a balmy Sunday in June, this busy waterside restaurant served a perfect Sunday Brunch. Only $12.99 they had all the finest quality food - Eggs Benedict, scrambled eggs, French Toast, wonderful bacon, link pork sausage, pastries, toast, and fantastic dried beef gravy on biscuits (hadn't had that for 30 years). Great service and ambience on the outside patio overlooking Geist Reservoir with all the boats and happy people.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Bella vita is no longer bella vita!
We went to eat there 2nd may 2014 couldn't find it, stepped into this granite restaurant to ask where Bella vita is and was told it was here and was bought out and changed. No longer an Italian restaurant!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife and I took three grandchildren here for Easter brunch. As brunches go, the food was actually pretty good. The problem was that the buffet was set up in an area between the dining room/bar and the open kitchen, and it was completely unlit. The array of serving dishes also had no tags or signs to indicate what was in them---although we might have needed a flashlight to read them. We were hard-pressed to tell whether we were dipping into scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, or some other yellow/white smooth mixture. And there was a lot of that kind of stuff on the buffet.

We were seated outside (nobody asked whether we preferred inside or outside), and the view of the lake was nice. However, between us and the lake was some kind of tiki bar, complete with plastic palm trees, that wasn't operating. In the other direction we were staring at an area that was being used for spare tables and chairs. Overall it had sort of a loading dock feel to it.

As I said, the food was not bad, once you sorted out what you'd chosen in the daylight. But certainly not an elegant brunch for a major religious holiday.