“Nightmare stay - will not book there again.”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Indianapolis Northwest
Ranked #64 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
“Nightmare stay - will not book there again.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I was greeted warmly upon check-in, and provided room keys for room 316. Having stayed in Fairfields before, I knew this would be the dreaded "elevator" room, right next to the elevator on the third floor. I sighed, but accepted as I knew it was a busy weekend with a major event going on, and after all I booked with rewards points, so I wasn't going to be fussy.

When I got to the room and opened the curtain, I literally laughed at the view I had. That particular room was located above the covered entrance to the hotel, and completely blocked by the sloped roof. In the spirit of being positive, I convinced myself it was just "extra privacy." No big deal.

I pulled down the comforter on the bed, and the sheets were clean, but they were heavily stained with what looked like blood. On my way downstairs to get my suitcase, I mentioned it to the front desk and the worker was quick to have housekeeping swap out the sheets. Not thrilled about the state of the room, but the quick response was worth noting.

The manager approached me and told me she had credited back my points for the night for the issue with the sheets and the room not being ready for my arrival. I assured her it was not necessary, but thanked her nonetheless. As long as it was resolved, I was content. I don't expect perfection.

The following evening is when the visit went off the rails.

After a long day, I came back to the property and my key card would not work in the door. I tried no less than 10 times between our two cards, and no luck. I went down to the front desk, and was issued two new cards. After riding the seemingly dangerous elevator back up to the third floor, the two cards did not work either.

Another trip down to the front desk, and I expressed my discontent with the situation. I recapped all of the events since check in that finally pushed me to the point where I asked for them to find me a room at a different property. The person at the front desk said she would make me two more keys, and also accompany me to the room to let me in with her master key if anything went wrong.

Upon arriving at my room with the worker, she inserted her master key, and was still not able to open the door. The lock was not reading her key either. She attempted at least 5 times, and tried the new keys she had programmed also. Her only comment was "well that's interesting." I asked her the obvious question: "So now what?" To that, the only answer I was able to get was that she'd have to call her manager to see what to do. Before leaving for downstairs, she attempted one more time to get the door open, and the card worked. We propped the door, and she tried it again, and the lock had stopped working again. I was told I would have to leave the door propped if I left the room and wanted to get back in! I expressed that was nowhere near acceptable, and advised her to call her manager.

At this point it was shortly after 11pm. I told her while she called her manager to explain the situation, she also needed to secure a room at another property. I was told she would "see what she could do" but most properties were booked up due to the event in town that weekend.

About 20 minutes later, I received a call and was told that there were no other properties in the area that had availability. While on the phone with her, I pulled up the Marriott website and found a room at the downtown location. She told me she was unable to secure that room for some reason. She mentioned that she could book me for one night, but that my remaining nights were full and she was unable to get me in. She also said that the other properties would cost more points, and that I would have to figure that out. I tried to explain that the fact that this particular hotel was having a facilities issue should not resort in me having to spend more on a new room, whether points or dollars. She understood, and even agreed, but cited that it was beyond her control.

For the next hour, I went back and forth with the employee and the general manager. Each time, I explained that it was unbelievable that I would be staying in a room that would have to have the door propped open to have access to. I felt that was an extreme safety hazard, and likely a breach of fire code. I asked to be booked at another Marriott. They couldn't do it. I asked for them to book me at another comparable hotel chain and pay for it. They couldn't do it. I offered to pay for my room elsewhere with the guarantee that I would be reimbursed. They could not agree to that. After accepting there were no good outcomes, and becoming increasingly tired of debate, I decided to retire to my room. Before walking upstairs, I informed the employee that I would be contacting the Fire Marshal in the morning, and requested the property owner's information for direct contact.

It appears that statement magically created the ability for the hotel to offer me options...

I received a phone call from the GM at around 1AM offering to "call every hotel in the city until she found me a room" to make sure she resolved the issue. She offered to pay, and that it would not cost anything out of pocket. Essentially, I was being offered everything that I had asked for nearly two hours beforehand. By this point, the available room at the Marriott downtown had vanished and I had already re-un-packed as I had been told numerous times there was nothing the hotel could do. I advised the manager that I appreciated her effort, but that it was too little, extremely too late. She offered to credit me back my points, which I did not care about. I let her know that there was nothing more that could be resolved at that point, and that while I acknowledge her attempting to resolve, but that by this point, I was going to ride out the last day and a half of my stay, and leave this hotel a distant memory.

Upon checking out, I asked for the hotel owner's contact information again. I was told the GM had some follow up to do, had not left the info, but would likely reach out to me. They verified they had my updated contact information. I made it clear I wanted to speak to the owners and express my feedback.

The only follow up I have received was an e-mail from Marriott.com stating that I had received a "points bonus" which offset the cost of the stay, plus some additional points. While it was a nice gesture, I feel as though the points were issued to deter negative feedback being left.

I still have not received the owner's contact information to this date. Perhaps after reading this review, they will call.

Room Tip: Avoid the "16's" to be away from the elevator! 316 is the worst possible room, with a...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BossMasterFlex
Jessica H, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Indianapolis Northwest, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey and sharing your experience with the Fairfield Inn & Suites Indianapolis Northwest.

You indicated in your response that your stay was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

Jessica Kelley
Fairfield Inn Indianapolis NW
ffi.indfn.gm@marriott.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Lovely property, staff was very nice, rooms are big with nice amenities. Very convenient on, off the interstate and a mall across the street with lots of restaurants. Breakfast was ok nothing special, in fact they morning we left they had run out of a few things. I would stay there again.
I'm sure they are near many things, we just didn't need anything, but a clean nice room the night we stayed.

Room Tip: Very convenient on, off the interstate and a mall across the street with lots of restaurants.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Richard F
Jessica H, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Indianapolis Northwest, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your response on Trip Advisor! We really appreciate all of your feedback, and will use it to improve all of our guests experiences!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel did a great job of accommodating me and my four children. The staff was courteous, and very thoughtful in effort to make our stay easier. Mona went out of her way to help us find good takeout, and even though our stay was very brief, we did enjoy it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ghousemom
MINDEN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

this is a newly renovated hotel and is extremely nice decor. Rooms were very nice and clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The only thing I would change is that they only have 2 sets of towels in each room when we needed 4.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Softball_Mom_1979
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel property, very accessible to the interstate system. Staff was great and thier breakfast was good. Only complaint I have is they got rid of thier hot tub. Pool was a little cool for our enjoyment. Bed was very nice and only complaint we have is at 6 am on a sunday a bunch of people from some church function were up and yelling down the halls, slamming doors, kids fighting, and just plain rudness all to get to some temple opening thing. Think they were LDS by thoer name plates as I finally got out of bed and asked them to please be respectful of others.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Roger47993
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed here for just one night for a business trip. I was upgraded to a suite for free because I needed to check in a little early. The room was extremely clean and staff were very nice and helpful. The gym and pool also seem nice, new and clean. I was extremely impressed with the quality and service offered here!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Emster410
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Free coffee & breakfast in the morning is always wonderful. This is a renovated Fairfield, love what they've done with the properties. Room was clean, bed semi-comfy for a hotel bed and there are many restaurants near this property.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business