“Good staff, needs attention from management”

Indianapolis Marriott Downtown
Ranked #30 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Good staff, needs attention from management”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

The staff at this hotel is excellent. But the systems need attention from management. The internet connection is sooooo sloooooow as well as expensive it wasn't really possible to use it for work (i had to switch to my own mobile broadband which, of course, costs me)

I spent 20 minutes following the directions in the in-room notebook to print a file. When i went downstairs to pick it up, I was told "oh that's outdated - you need to use this different process now" ... The "new" process didn't work either. However, the person at the desk very graciously printed my file for me.

I tried to order something from the menu in the in-room hotel guide and was told they didn't have THAT but they had something else (which arrived luke warm). In the notebook it listed the service charge as $2.50 but when i got the order it said the service charge was $5.00 ... When i asked about it they said the book "must be out of date." AND, they graciously took the charge off my bill. However, the staff said they didn't know what was in the in-room information and that it was probably all now out of date.

The clock in my room had not been changed from daylight savings time and I couldn't figure out how to change it myself so asked if they could do it for me. Never happened.

AND, the soda machine on this floor is broken.

Room Tip: Bring your own internet access tools.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
GM_Ray2010, General Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 30 November 2012
Thank you fro staying with us and I apologize for some of the negative experiences you encountered.

I will investigate the poor internet service, the outdated room service dirrectory and the clock that is suppose to automatically change time on daylight savings time weekend.

Please feel free to contact me directly. My phone number is 317-405-6040.

Phil Ray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 6 November 2012

The hotel is five stars. has a wonderful house keeping Team. All services available. The only disadvantage theyhave is the internet connection. very slow and inconsistent. Many times is not available or just on and off.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floorsto get a better view.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Thank you fro staying with us and we are happy your experience was excellent! I am happy you enjoyed the staff service from our housekeeping team!

Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA
Reviewed 5 November 2012

When visiting downtown Indianapolis, there are a host of locations to choose from in the Marriott family. This is one of my favorites. It's great for conferences and I've never had any major issues. More times than not an upgrade is available for me as a gold rewards member and the staff in the concierge lounge are very helpful. The fact that it connects to the convention center and Circle Centre Mall is another bonus--especially in bad weather.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us and we are happy your experience was excellent! It is great that we are one of your favorite hotels and that you enjoy our concierge staff service.

Austin, TX
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I had a pleasant stay in this hotel. When my kids are with me, we normally stay in the nearby Springhill Suites which is great if you prefer 3 sleeping spaces. Since I was traveling solo and I now have gold status, I decided to give it a try.

Having appetizers in the concierge lounge was very nice, loved the view of the night sky.

Baseball fans would be thrilled as my room had a terrific view of Victory Field.

I did hear a bit more street noise (fire trucks) compared with Springhill and I prefer a park view, but that is really personal preference. If I was picky, I would say that I had too many decorative pillows and not enough sleeping pillows. I'm sure they would have brought more, but I didn't notice it until late so I didn't ask.

Parking was expensive, but that is the case for most hotels in downtown Indianapolis.

I had a nice walk on the canal, which is maybe 1-2 blocks away.

Internet and accommodations were fine. Having a fridge was nice.

Overall, a very relaxing stay in a great downtown location.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for staying with us and we are happy your experience was excellent! You are correct that our view of Victory Field for baseball is fantastic.

We hope to see you again next time you return to Indy! Hopefully you can catch a game too!

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Loved the hotel. Very clean rooms Nice Decor,and most of all close to everything.. Lucas Oil , Convention ctr, capital, and walking distance to most restaraunts. The food was good and service excellent. The only down side is parking is $35 a day... Just like the BIG cities..Yikes

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us and we are happy your experience was excellent! It is great that we are one of your favorite hotels and that you enjoy our location.

I am sorry you were caught by surprise on the cost of parking. The price you paid is competitive within our city.

Houston
Reviewed 4 November 2012

This Marriott is a lot like all the others and in general I was happy with the stay. but since I was running the half marathon early in the morning I did not appreciate hearing kids running above me 16th floor room or hearing voices through what seemed to be the ventilation system. This was almost continuous through the night and continued the following night perhaps because the hotel was full.

My room was 1632 and it had 2 very comfortable beds, good heating controls and nice appearance. The frig came in handy and the TV volume was pegged to prevent spillover into adjacent rooms as noise.

At Your Service was very responsive to two problems and both checking and checkout went without incident. I would point out that on two occasions it appeared only one elevator out of six was running and the wait was really long. In summary I would not have any criticism except for the sounds of voices and I strongly recommend the hotel mitigate this issue in the future. That being said almost every hotel has such problems and if one is a light sleeper it can be quite aggravating.

Room Tip: High floor, end room may be best.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us and we are happy your experience overall was excellent! I am sorry about the noise issues you experienced, especially before the marathon the next day. It was a very busy weekend with a lot of children in the hotel and it is too bad you were disturbed.

Renton, Washington
Reviewed 30 October 2012

This hotel is lovely in its appointments (furniture, lighting, decor) in both the public areas and in the rooms. The beds are comfortable and the pillows are fluffy. The toiletries are from Bath and Body Works (standard Marriott amenities) and they smell good. The breakfast served at the business meeting was mediocre. The coffee isn't very good (the coffee in the hotel rooms was actually better) and it kept running out as did the hot water for tea (took the staff almost 20 minutes each time to refill). The hotel restaurants had decent food--hearty midwestern fare--though the service was either understaffed in both restaurants or just not very efficient as they screwed up orders at our tables and the ones near ours during two different meals. I'd stay here again though.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us and we are happy your overall experience was excellent! I am happy you enjoyed the bedding package and the amentities. I will investigate the quality of your banquet breakfast with my operations team. This is usually one of our strengths.