“The Courtyard is a block farther away, but nicer.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Indianapolis Marriott Downtown

Indianapolis Marriott Downtown
Ranked #34 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Wadsworth, Ohio, United States
“The Courtyard is a block farther away, but nicer.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

I rate all my stays at a hotel on a five-point scale (1= terrible, 3=what I’d expect, 5=exceptional) in the following categories. Unless otherwise noted, I’m looking for a comfortable, clean night’s sleep. I care little about free breakfast, gyms, and pools.

I stay at this hotel quite a bit, and used to think it was really good until I stayed at the Courtyard down the street this week. THAT will be my new go to hotel in Indy.

Fast check-in: 3
Overall room cleanliness: 3
Ability to control room temperature: 2
Softness of bath towels: 3
Comfort of bed/pillows: 3
Technology (good Wifi, accessible outlets, etc.): 3

Other notes on this hotel:
I was surprised that this location doesn't offer free WiFi, even for a Silver Rewards member. Also, I'm 6'1" and the shower heads are way too low.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank chrisserger
GM_Ray2010, General Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a survey.

I am happy that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and your experience was very good. I am sorry that you experienced was not excellent. I have reviewed your comments with my operational team.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope you will choose to stay with us again the next time you come to Indianapolis.

Phil Ray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Kent, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

We attend an annual conference so we stay at a lot of big hotels. This Marriott was the best host so far. All our last minute needs were accommodated. Special thanks to the conf coordinator, Caitlyn, who took all the stress away a worked out resolutions that were beyond our expectations before we even got there. When we got there, a happy and relaxed valet attendant came over to us and greeted us again in a very relaxed way. The valet service was a delight to work with for the week, always prompt, courtesous and happy. Our bell hop, Celeste, took us to our room and was the one to see us out. Both times such a pleasure and it was nice that she remembered us. The housekeeping staff did a nice job and Robert was so prompt in seeing to our special requests were addressed right away. Our good experiences were prepared for by the corporate customer service rep., Kim, when our initial call of needing an extra adjoining room was needed at the last minute. I did not think being referred to a remote office was going to do anything but boy was I wrong!

Room Tip: The elevators are the fastest on the planet so no problems being on top floors, nice views of he cit...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a survey.

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and your experience was excellent! Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Rather than traveling to Chicago, we chose our hometown for our girls' night out. We stayed at the Marriott and what fun we had. All the staff made us feel like their special guests. The valets were helpful and welcoming. The front desk warmly welcomed us and made sure we had joining room. We never passed staff (even in the elevator) that they didn't ask " how is your stay and can I do anything for you." Our rooms were beautifully appointed. What fun to see our city from the great view out our window. For travelers from afar or residents of Indy, we highly recommend the Marriott for a great night in Indy.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Excellent location for the convention center and Lucas Oil Stadium. For conferences, the meeting rooms are easy to find, confined to two floors, and the tech ran smoothly. The room we had was clean and modern with a larger than usual fridge. Conveniently, there is a Starbucks in the lobby (though I heard from more than one person that the coffee was weaker than at other Starbucks, which sort of negates the advantage of standardization associated with a chain place). Unfortunately, there aren't really good restaurants within walking distance, but you can walk a few blocks to Panera's if the line at Starbucks in the lobby is too long. The hotel restaurant is pretty good with typical hotel restaurant prices. We did not try the sports bar. I think the one downside is that they charge $30/day for parking at the hotel. There is a parking garage right across the street serving the convention center, but the prices were not shown outside, so I can't help with that. The elevators arrived with good speed, and there is a sign by them in the lobby that says quiet time starts at 9:30. All in all, it was an excellent conference hotel.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Staff at check-in could have been friendlier but they were otherwise nice. I stayed with work for a conference. The rooms for the conference were a bit on the small side. The hotel rooms were really nice, good showers and beds, and clean. The food at the conference was lacking in quality but that's not surprising.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

My friend, her daughter, my daughter and I were in town for a marching band competition. I am usually nervous booking hotels online, but as soon as I walked into the lobby I knew I made a great choice. The wait to check in was minimal and on a Saturday! Our room was ready 3 hours early and our requests that we made online were taken care of. We even asked to be in rooms near each other and when they realized we were on different floors both people checking us in worked together and got us right across the hall from each other. The room was very clean and the beds were extra comfortable. Everyone we met was friendly and helpful. The valet guys were awesome, sorry I can't remember all the names, but I remember Sean. My only regret was that we were only in town for one night. I'll be staying here next time I come to Indianapolis.

• Stayed November 2013

Louisville, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

My trip to the Marriott Indianapolis Downtown was not as pleasant as I would have expected from a Marriott property. I had made a reservation for two rooms, but when I checked in at 4:20pm, only one room was ready. As the front desk attendant mentioned, guaranteed check-in was at 4pm. She apologized and stated that there was a large number of check-ins and check-outs that day, so the cleaning crew was behind. She also mentioned that she had no idea how long the wait was going to be. I want to sympathize with this, but assuming these people also had reservations, the hotel should know in advance how many check-ins and check-outs would occur on a given day and prepare for it.

The other couple and their child traveling with us had to stay in my room until their room was ready. When walking down the hall, we noticed two room attendants who didn’t seem to be in a hurry to clean a room next to ours. We called the front desk and asked for the room next to ours for the other couple. The front desk agreed. Later, the hotel staff gave the other couple and their child free vouchers for the breakfast buffet the next morning, but nothing for those staying in my room.
The staff was friendly in all interactions and it seems they did what they could to make the situation better. The valet staff was excellent and literally ran to get the car when we requested it. The bell staff was also great. We asked them to hold our bags while we attended the Colts game. When we approached the hotel after the game, they recognized us and retrieved our bags before we even entered the door.

The rooms left a little to be desired. The walls were thin, especially bathroom-to-bathroom. We could hear EVERYTHING going on in the neighbor’s bathroom. The room was clean except for the moldy shower (picture included). The pool was great! It seemed to be made of stainless steel and had a very nice smooth bottom.

Overall, the bathroom needed to be cleaned, we had to wait for a room past check-in time, and our whole group was inconvenienced, but only half of us were given anything to make up for it. The staff was friendly and tried to make up for it, but not successfully. I’ll give Marriott another shot based on my previous good experiences in their hotels, but I’ll try to forget this experience.

Room Tip: Thin walls, especially bathroom-to-bathroom. Quiet conversations could clearly be heard.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chris B
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a survey.

I am sorry that your overall stay and experience was not excellent. I am sorry that you experienced issues with the room not ready at check in, guest room noise and bathroom cleanliness. I have reviewed your comments with my operational team.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope you will choose to give us another opportunity and stay with us again the next time you come to Indianapolis.