“Talk about swindled out of money!”

Indianapolis Marriott Downtown
Ranked #27 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 1 September 2014

What an aweful I had! First at our arrival, they were missing one of the breakfast we had paid for and then acted so rude when they gave it to us (we had the emailed receipt). Then our toilet kept breaking, not flushing properly. We went for a swim and the metal floor of the pool had rust all around the creases. It was so dirty. Once getting back to our to our room we called for towel three times and overall it took them 3hrs to being us towels for showers. Lasting- after arriving home- we found that the hotel had gone back to our debit card charged an EXTRA $40 for "services and taxes"! This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed: August 2014
David K, Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Katilyn
Thank you for staying at the Indianapolis Marriott Downtown.
We appreciate your comments on your recent stay and apologize for the issues you had and will look into this with management team.
Our goal is for every guest at the hotel to have a pleasant experience and hope that you may give our hotel another opportunity in the near future.

Best Regards

Reviewed 23 August 2014

You’re thinking “Of course it’s not a 4 star hotel”, it’s only a 3 ½ star hotel according to TripAdvisor. That’s right, it is. But Priceline.com put us in this hotel when we bid for a 4 star downtown Indianapolis hotel. Beware of Priceline, people. This is the second time this has happened to us. So we stayed at the Marriott downtown Indianapolis hotel for four nights in early August while we attended the MotoGP race at the Speedway. Each year we’ve stayed at airport hotels, but this year we decided to stay downtown as a change of scenery. Check-in was quick and there was no end to the supply of incredibly friendly staff at this hotel. The only person who seemed fairly indifferent was our room maid and given what she does all day, I won’t hold it against her. The hallway was musty smelling and the carpet didn’t look or smell very fresh. Our room was the same, a bit stale. But the bed was incredibly comfortable, the bathroom spacious and bright, and the TV channels plentiful. It was very quiet. The water was not hot, it was quite warm, but if you want a really hot shower I don’t think that’s going to happen in this hotel. They must have a setting on their hot water to avoid some idiot from burning himself. But too bad it leaves the rest of us shivering in the shower.

Another beef is the parking charge. $31 dollars a day, and there weren’t enough parking spaces. People were parking on the exit ramps and while we managed to find a spot each day, it was out of sheer luck. Parking charges in downtown Indie truly suck, and we were lamenting our decision to not stay by the airport because it would have saved us $125 in parking fees.

One nasty thing about downtown higher end hotels is that they charge for Wifi in the hotel room. It was $13 dollars a day for the ‘privilege’ to use my smart phone in our room. No thanks. Take the elevator to the main floor and wifi is free. Really annoying.

Lastly, any key lime pie lovers out there? The hotel lounge has the best key lime pie I’ve ever had in my life and I’ve tried key lime pie in many places throughout the US and Canada.

All in all, this hotel was fine, but it’s not worth the cost, and we’ll never stay there again when we can pay far less for a hotel by the airport in a true 3 ½ star hotel, less expensive with free wifi, free parking, and a massive full breakfast included. That’s where we’ll be next summer on the MotoGP weekend.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MPHW
David K, Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Mintoronto
Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at our hotel during the MotoGP Week.
We appreciate your positive comments of the friendly staff you encountered during your stay here with us. Additionally, we value your feedback of the guestrooms and hallways and will use this feedback to better serve our guests in the near future. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you next year if you decide to stay at a downtown hotel in Indy.

Best Regards

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I had to stay here as it was a convention and this was the host hotel. I read several very harsh reviews from other guests and they were ver specific to there complaints and the good reviews were very vague at best. Having said that, I had an amazing stay at this hotel. The staff were all very polite and helpful. I had a hard time finding a place to buy water as the hotel gift shop was pricey as can be expected. As soon as I mentioned I didn't mind walking to a nearby store to buy enough water to last for my trip, they immediately had water delivered free to my room. When I needed to do laundry and the soap machine was empty, I went to the desk and notified them of that fact they did not ask me to wait until they could get someone there to fill the machine the lady at the desk gave me free soap and fabric softener so I could get right back to my laundry. I was also going to have issues eating on my schedule, so the night manager Karley Smith made me very reasonable accommodations to join the Concierge lounge that was open all day long from 0630 - 2200. That allowed me to eat all day long when time allowed. This also included free in room WiFi which is normally at a cost in the room. The hotel does include free WiFi in the common areas. There were several other issues from parking, to airport transportation, to sightseeing and local dining. Every employee I spoke to was polite and helpful. There were never any issues or questions that were with anything but smiles and solutions. I would love to stay here again and if I ever need to go back to Indianapolis I WILL!! Thanks again to the whole staff!!! Room was nice and very clean. Beds, yes I slept in both were very comfortable. The bathroom was clean and very large, it was also one of the biggest bathrooms I have ever seen in a hotel. Room was cleaned and beds made daily and getting clean linen was as easy as saying hi to the housekeeping staff. I heard about the thin walls and the high school kids that make it loud. I can not speak to the source of any noise but I did not have an issue with loud noise and even the TV in my room had a limited volume control. I would recommend that you give this hotel a try and see for yourself.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The hotel was nice and clean. Everyone very friendly. I thought the price to self park in their parking garage was outrageous ($31 per night). Plus if you wanted internet in the room it was another $13 per day.

Room Tip: Just a thought....we were on the 10th floor and someone set the fire alarm off and we had to evacuat...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I spent 5 nights here recently for meetings and a convention. The rooms are nice with lots of convenient features. The lobby and meeting areas are suited for large crowds. Restaurants in the hotel provide good service and have quality foods. Noise level is generally acceptable. Price is competitive for a downtown convention facility. There are lots of very enjoyable venues within 2 to 6 blocks from the hotel, including sports, museums, theaters, restaurants and a large convention center. It is safe and walkable.

Room Tip: It has more than 20 floors, so you have a big choice.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We recently stayed at the Downtown Marriott to attend a convention. We stayed in a king unit on one of the upper floors. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the view from our window was nice. This is what we expected in a quality hotel. But what set this hotel apart from the many similar hotels that we have stayed at over the years was the outstanding customer service. From the time that we arrived at the hotel entrance, we found a staff that was polite, attentive and cheerful. There were simply no exceptions--and this service quality did not stop at the end of our stay. When we arrived home, we found that we had left something in the room during checkout. We called the hotel, were directed to the lost and found department, where a very cheerful man searched for our missing equipment, found it and promptly sent it to us by Fed EX. The management and staff set this hotel apart from others in its class.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

All staff were friendly, helpful, and going out of their way!! Clean rooms, well stocked and bed was very comfy. The only negative is that walls were pretty thin. Could here conversations in hallway and voices in other rooms. Def would go back tho, very pleased :)

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple