“Exceptional for the price we paid…”

Hilton Indianapolis Hotel & Suites
Ranked #17 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 17 February 2009

My husband and I went to Indy for the weekend just to get away. We used Hotwire and ended up at The Hilton downtown for only $55 dollars a night. At that price we didn't mind paying the $28 for valet parking, or $22 to park in the garage yourself. Overall we were very impressed with the Hilton. The entry/check in area was very nice and clean. The staff was very friendly, but only somewhat knowledgeable. (They couldn’t tell us what time the mall that is only one block away opened) Check-in was a breeze and we were happy to accept a free upgrade for our room. Our room was very neat and clean. Typical Hilton decor. I am surprised though that these hotels have not purchased flat screen TVs. I would not recommend the McCormick & Schmick’s restaurant. It's in the hotel. It's a chain that I am familiar with but had not been to. We went there after dinner to grab another drink and dessert. We ordered a pecan pie that was, well mostly disgusting. It had obviously been living in the freezer for awhile and was not re-heated properly. Yuck. We just had beer to drink and it was priced as I expected for that type of place. Room service for breakfast the next morning was completely different. It was very good and catered well to our dairy-free diet. The location is also great for the Hilton. It's one block to the Circle Center Mall. There were lots of restaurants within easy walking distance. We were able to grab a cab to Mass Ave for only $5 bucks where there are more dining options, bars and fun boutiques.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 January 2009

This hotel is rated higher then I would rate it. I would almost put it in the same category as a Holiday Inn or Best Western. It seems like a mid-scale hotel doing it's best to impersonate a upper-scale.
The rooms are large and very clean. I have a small black light for work and I checked the room out with it. Amazing how clean it was really.
The staff was very friendly. The pool seemed a little small for such a large hotel. The internet was not free $10 a day. You can save money by signing up for boingo before your stay. Boingo is $10 a month for unlimited wireless and the Hilton is a hotspot.
They have 4 PCs in the business center and wireless is also available. You may have to wait for a PC if you need one.
I have stayed at most of the other hotels in downtown Indy and I think this one is close to the bottom of list. They should consider making some improvements and updating the hotel a little. I believe it would then stand up to what is excepted out of a Hilton.
This hotel needs to try just a little hard then the other downtown hotels because they are not attached to Circle Center. It is only a short walk across the street but the others downtown are closer and attached.
I stayed for $54 a night so I was not upset with my stay. If I would have paid the $160 a night I may have felt differently.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank myoffering
Reviewed 10 January 2009

My husband, 1 year old son, and I stayed at the Hilton while we were visiting some friends in Indianapolis. We chose the hotel because they offer a special for members of the military and their families that seemed better than the military discounts that other Indianpolis hotels offer. However, after taxes and the cost of parking was added to our bill, we actually spent more money to stay at the Hilton than we spend to stay at some of the newer hotels because the cost of parking is included in their military discounts.

The staff was very friendly and helpful for the most part. We chose valet parking. It took the valet attendent quite a while to even acknowledge us when we arrived at the hotel. After waiting for several minutes, he took our keys and unpacked our car and we were on our way to check-in.

Check-in was quick and easy. We were a bit early but our room was ready. The crib we had requested was not in the room. My husband made a quick call and there was a crib delivered within minutes.

It is obvious that the Hilton is an older property in Indianapolis. the decor is quite outdated. It reminded me of stepping into a lower class hotel which is not what I expected. There was no fridge to store my son's milk and juice in so we resorted to filling one of the two sinks with ice.

The room, however, was large and comfortable. We had plenty of space and the bedding was clean and the bed was comfortable. The location is excellent and the hotel was easy to get to.

We did not eat at the hotel so I am unable to provide information about the restaurants/room service. The menus looked delicious but pricey and we needed kid friendly dining.

Overall, the hotel is average. I wouldn't be scared to go back but I will probably chose another property in the future.

• Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed 23 November 2008

I stayed here on business recently. The room was very large, and the bed comfortable. The place was quiet. There was a stain on the couch--I didn't want to know any more about that. Everything else was really nice, though. The staff was courteous, and McCormick and Schmidts off the lobby has a great happy hour ($1.95 bar menu, including a 1/2 pound burger, fried oysters, etc). Parking is expensive ($22/day) compared to other places downtown (I saw $13 and $15/day nearby).
Overall, a nice place to stay convenient to downtown.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 November 2008

Recently in Indianapolis for a convention, I had the pleasure of staying 4 nights at the Indianapolis Hilton. I couldn't have been happier. The rooms were clean and very comfortable, no noise despite the completely booked hotel, staff that were very warm and accommodating. The locale is about 2 blocks from the convention center and surrounded by lots to do and see within walking distance. Be sure to check out Alcatraz down the street for a dinner and drinks!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2008

I bought my Hoosier native husband tickets for IU basketball and the Colts for our one year wedding anniversary. He very much wanted to stay in Downtown and since I am a Hilton Honors Silver member, I went to the Honors website to find a hotel. We wanted to stay at the Conrad, but found an amazing deal at the Hilton for $99 a night with a $25 gas card. We couldn't pass that up. After we had already booked this deal my in-laws from Terre Haute decided they wanted to stay at the same hotel as well, but the deal was no longer available. We got lucky with Hotwire and were able to book another room with rental car for $116 a night. When they checked-in the hotel was all out of double rooms and upgraded them to a huge king suite! Wow!

I went into this knowing that the hotel is a bit older than some other downtown hotels, but was pleasantly surprised at the size of the rooms at the hotel. It was true that the rooms could use some updating, but after staying at the Omni two years ago and being completely squished into a room, we were thrilled to have the space. Also, the bed was your typical wonderful, comfy Hilton bed and isn't that really the most important part of a stay? We slept like babies for our three nights. The lobby and restaurant areas were quite nice and seem to have been updated recently, just not sure when they might do the same for the hallways and rooms.

Perhaps the best part of our stay were the extremely friendly and helpful staff that we experienced throughout the hotel. Front desk to housekeeping to restaurant staff, all were wonderful and some of the best that we have experienced in our recent hotel stays. Our waiter at breakfast one morning was especially delightful, even though we all had coupons for free buffet. He refilled everything quickly and brought us any special requests, all with a cheerful and efficient attitude.

Probably the only true negatives I can say about our stay is that the vending machines were out of drinks on almost every floor. My poor husband went floor-to-floor just trying to get water or a diet soda and finally ended up down at the gift shop to get what we needed. Also, when we checked-in late at night and wanted to order off the late night menu, we called room service and the phone just rang and rang. I called down to the front-desk and the poor staff person explained that she was the only person there and would need to heat the food and have security bring it up to the room. To me, if you are offering late night food, then you should have a staff member on hand to prepare and deliver. To make the front-desk person do that and have security deliver seems odd. Finally, the issue about the one tiny trash can in the room played out for us as well. Especially in my in-laws suite, it seemed very strange to have the only trash can be in the bathroom. They needed to have one near the desks in the rooms and in the suites there should be one in the bedroom and the living area. Seems a simple thing to fix.

All-in-all, I still want to stay at the Conrad someday, but when we return to Indy, we will look for good deals at the Hilton.

Dining tip: The breakfast buffet is quite good and The Weber Grill is just a block away and delicious!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 November 2008

Our Girl Scout Council (Southeast Florida) traveled to Indianapolis for the 51st Convention. Like all groups coming in, we were put in a "lottery" for hotels. At first we were disappointed that we were not in one of the hotels that were adjacent to the convention center. But once we arrived, we discovered that all the rooms at the Hilton were suites! Very spaciaous with separate living and sleeping areas, a large bathroom with 2 sinks (one in and one out) and 2 TVs. Everything was always immaculate and the service staff was friendly and helpful - the doorman even helped when a cab company over charged us!

Because of the busy convention schedule we never got a chance to use ammenities such as the indoor pool but the resturants were good (though the drink prices were high.) One thing we missed was a refrigerator in the room.

I would definitely reccommend staying at this fine hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business