“good food, great value, friendly people”

Jiallo's African-Caribbean Cuisine
Ranked #332 of 2,358 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: African
Indianapolis, IN
“good food, great value, friendly people”
Reviewed 15 February 2013

me and the mrs and girls 11 and 6 did the groupon thing, which made this good meal an absolute steal, because each of our dinner portions could make 2 meals no problem.

we got the jerk chicken, which my VERY picky 6 yr old said was the best chicken she ever had. it was very good and flavorful but not too spicey, come with rice and beans, plantains, cabbage and carrots.

we also got the peanut butter sauce which is beef chunks or tips in sauce with rice etc. very tasty and beef was tender.

i have been in africa and the carib and this was pretty authentic food for the ingredients available around here.

also lots of middle aged african gents looking very nice were having a meeting in the other room, which i think culturally is great for my kids to see; that they looked very different from us in dress and appearance, but thats no big deal and we felt very welcome there

check u later bros

J

Visited January 2013
1 Thank RastaJ

Schererville, Indiana
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Food was yummy! The portions are huge and the hospitality is phenomenal :)
Check Groupon for deals! Will make this location a routine visit! Caribbean food in a near by location!! Try the Jerk Chicken and specialty drinks :) PLANTAINS WERE AMAZING!!

• Visited January 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Horrible Service and Broken Promise”
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We just came back home from this experience that pissed us off.
This was me and my husband's first visit to Jiallo‘s. We printed out two Groupons coupons as the pre-payment for our carry out order. First, when we entered, the setting was very dimly lit, and this was beyond trying to be romantic. This was lighting like only the minimum light were on to save money to keep the doors open. It was to the point that a customer pulled out a flash light to look at some mini prepackaged cakes for sale behind a glass case. Ridiculously unprofessional. Also, from the time we entered the door and the next 30 minutes, that same customer had 5 kids while he was getting carry-out, making way too much noise. They were playing with each other like kids do, but this was the wrong place. They were screaming, talking loudly, and one was blowing a whistle repeatedly and clearly disturbing the other patrons. All the father did was talk at them from the counter, while they made a ruckus 30 feet away at the door. The owner of the restaurant did nothing, to tell the parental guardian to get control of the situation. So we all were just wonderfully annoyed by the kids disruption.

We waited 15 minutes to get our order in to the server who was a short woman, with short hair and glasses. We explained to her that we had two Groupons we wanted to use. She said the orders will have to be rung up separately, so that we could use both Groupons, to which we agreed was fine. We then placed our order for the Jerk Chicken and the Ox tail. She told us our order would take 15 minutes to come up. 30 minutes later, we asked was our food going to be ready any time soon. She said it would be ready in five minutes.

10 minutes later the owner offered us free plantains and told us our food would be ready in another five minutes. We waited a total of 50 minutes before our order was ready. To his credit, I will tell you that he offered us two free drinks right after we placed our order, and he did bring out free fried plantains after 35 minutes of waiting. When the owner came out with our food finally, we told him that we already talked to the server, and she said we could use our two Groupons by just ringing our orders up separately. Then he said no you can’t do that. We told him the female server said we could. That’s when he said, “Im the owner, and the orders were written down on the same ticket so I’m not taking the other Groupon.” Number one, that doesn’t matter that the orders are on the same hand written ticket. You can ring up orders off a ticket separately, and other real restaurants do it all the time. In fact they ask the customers, will these orders be separate or together, before ringing them up. Second of all, he should have accepted the two Groupons when we waited almost an hour for our food, when we were told it would take 15 minutes, regardless of what ever circumstances and situations the restaurants is going through (items not prepared, ran out of rice, etc…). We finally said fine, we’ll just leave with only one order then. I took the Ox Tail for my wife. I was pissed, and wanted to educate him on good business practices of taking care of your customer especially after a promise was made by one or your servers and after waiting a ridiculous amount of time for take out. In our experience other restaurants do this as a practice of customer service. I decided not to argue with him, and just leave one of the meals that I waited over an hour for that I’ve already paid for with Groupon. So he was already being paid for by Groupon with this and just and just wanted the extra 4 dollars. Groupon returned our money for the second Groupon due to this issue.

• Visited November 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
“Tell your friends about this place!”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

My second visit to this gem was even better than my first. And my first was pretty darn fantastic.

I chose to invite my cautiously epicurean family here to celebrate my birthday, as they've said lately that they're more open to trying something new. So I thought, here is a chance to step out of their comfort zone, but not so much that they wouldnt enjoy their meals.

So first of all, this place has been essentially empty both times I've been, but that didnt seem to bother the owner. On this night, I wondered if anybody else was even working, but it really didnt matter. He was gracious, friendly, and seemed thrilled that we were there. He brought out a huge plate of plantains for us to try (even though I already knew how good they were). The plantains were hot, sweet, and squishy, which I promise was a good thing.

Service here is slow, pretty typically Caribbean, so prepare to relax and enjoy the evening. Meals dont necessarily come out at the same time either, but again, just take it as part of the experience, and chat with the owner, and look forward to your giant of a meal to come.

Check out the menu, and you'll see oxtail, goat, jerk chicken, and a variety of fish, beef, and other Caribbean and African cuisine. I ordered the Tiebdjen, the national dish of Senegal. A whole fried fish, with cabbage and carrots, and a mountain of red rice. Both times I ordered fish, I was asked if I was ok with the head still being on it (apparently, not everyone wants to see the face?). Of course I said yes, and marveled at this fried awesomeness in front of me before I dug in. You can use a fork, but be honest, you'll just end up using your fingers anyway...

I love this fish. I love this restaurant. I love this guy who owns it. He even comped my meal, since it was my birthday! He was so pleased that of all the options in the area, I chose his place.

Try it out, and dont be intimidated if its empty. The owner will make you comfortable right away.

• Visited September 2012
Lafayette, Indiana
“This is a hidden gem!”
Reviewed 2 June 2012

My husband and I went to Jiallo's for dinner. It truly is one of those great places you stumble upon by accident. The food was great and so was the service. The owner even came out to ask us how the food was. What a great experience. The food was really great... My husband had the beef stew and I had the jerk chicken. The portion size was HUGE. We even said that next time we'll just order one dish. Neither of us could finish the plate. We will be back!

• Visited June 2012