“Comfortable and friendly”

Ranked #51 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Hammond, Indiana
“Comfortable and friendly”
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We chose to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Downtown City Centre because we were attending a festival at Military Park. This would also be a great location if you were visiting the city to see the Colts play (right across the street from Lucas Stadium). Luckily, we came during the off season of football, and had an easy time booking a room.

The front desk staff was very friendly and welcoming. We were upgraded due to our Priority Club status and they gave us a little care package also. Our room was very spacious, the bed was very comfortable and most importantly, it was quiet. It is very frustrating to go to hotels where the walls are thin and you can hear everything going on around you. This hotel was not like that at all. I slept very well.

The free breakfast was good in the morning and there were a variety of options. We did not use the pool or hot tub, but if we spent more time there, I definitely would have enjoyed those along with the fitness center.

We would definitely stay at this location again.

Room Tip: Our room was overlooking the Lucas Stadium, which was very neat. However, during a Colt's game...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Kelly T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Downtown City Centre, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the friendliness of the staff. Thank you! Kelly T. GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Reviewed 24 May 2013

As everyone else states, the location is superb!!! The hotel is a ten minute walk to the convention center and downtown shopping , entertainment, and dining, yet outside of "the loop". Onsite self-parking is a definite bonus for this location, no valet or wait for your car when needed. EASY to get to from I-70, just a couple blocks north off the exit. Heck, even the free breakfast was good. No, it is not the JW, buts its also a hundred bucks a night less! I will continue to stay here when in town on business.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jasonst1
Kelly T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Downtown City Centre, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Thank you for feedback. We appreciate your business. Kelly GM
Wayne, Michigan
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I stayed in Indianapolis for one night to see sights and a baseball game, and this hotel is right in the center of it all. It's right across from Lucas Oil Stadium, home of the Colts. Victory Field (home of the Triple-A baseball team Indianapolis Indians), the downtown malls, several bars and restaurants, and other attractions are also within walking distance. The parking lot is very small, and they do charge $14 per night to park there, but that's fairly typical of hotels in downtowns of larger cities.

Front desk check-in was fast and simple. For being a Priority Club member. I also received a bottle of water and a few snacks. Coffee is available in the breakfast bar all day, which is located just to the left of the desk. The decor of the hotel is very nice for the most part.

My room was a suite on the fourth floor, including microwave, fridge, and even a kitchen sink. Plenty of room and enough chairs to hold a small meeting! I had a perfect view of Lucas Oil, plus the Indy skyline to the left. Very urban setting. No noise issues at all. I did not enjoy the stains on the carpet though- I'm guessing cranberry or grape juice (maybe wine) based on the color.

Bathroom takes a hit- very weak water pressure and poor exhaust fan. This seems to be a trend at most of the HI Expresses I have been staying at lately. Lighting is decent and it is roomy though.

TV selection is limited, but I didn't watch much at all.

Breakfast is fine - typical HI Express setup.

Front desk staff was very helpful in helping me finding some places to enjoy the nightlife. The Meridian St. strip seems to be the hotspot. They will print and highlight maps, which is a big help.

However, with all of the good things, there were some negatives. Besides the bathroom issues, I also think it is very odd the business center is just one computer in the breakfast area. There is zero privacy, and it just looks so awkward. Wi-Fi and wired Internet are in the room, but unless you bring your own printer, you are forced to use the "business center".

I had planned on swimming just before I checked out the next morning. The pool does not open until 8AM (every other HI and Express I've stayed in are 6 or 7). When I walked by around 5 to 8, the pool area looked like a disaster! Towels on the floor, and someone's sandals! I decided not to swim after seeing this. Unless someone entered early somehow and left a mess, this is an oversight on housekeeping/ maintenance. I checked out earlier than planned. I did not mention this to the desk clerk, but then again she did not ask how my stay was or I may have.

I will be back in town next year, and honestly am undecided if I will stay at this location. Besides the problems, the price of roughly $155 including tax and parking is a bit high. You could stay at a location outside of downtown, drive in, and park in a garage for cheaper. It all depends on how much you value convenience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Kelly T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Downtown City Centre, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and service at the front desk. We are sorry to hear that the condition and hours of the swimming pool were less than satisfactory. We understand that our guest have a lot of choices for lodging in downtown Indianapolis. We strive to provide excellent guest service and maintain a clean and well maintained facility. Please feel free to contact me at 317-822-6400. We appreciate your business. Kelly Tabeling General Manager
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn for business because it was a cheaper alternative to the host hotel and other recommended options. Hotel was clean and updated and the staff was very pleasant. This was an economical business option. As stated by other reviewers, downtown bars and restaurants are about a 10 minute walk away. Location also had easy access to local running/biking trails which was nice. Breakfast was typical - nothing to get overly excited, about but functional. Enjoyed the Wed happy hour (beer and light snacks) which was a nice surprise after a run. Worst thing about my stay is that I was solicited for money by a shady local about 5 minutes after I arrived (and was still in my car).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Linda P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Downtown City Centre, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Thank you for pointing out what a good value we are! And we are conveniently located to downtown restaurants and shopping as well as Lucas Oil Stadium and Victory Field. For those who enjoy walking, running, and biking, the canal just north of us is a great area for recreation. You will also find the IMAX Theatre, the Indiana State Museum, the Eiteljorg Museum, and the NCAA Hall of Champions there. If you did not get the opportunity to explore these places due to business on this trip, come back and check them out for vacation or weekend visit. Indianapolis is a very walkable city!

Thank you for choosing our hotel!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Okay....it's a nice property that is conveniently located, but for the price, it is not that good. The front desk/reservation team needs a significant upgrade. My reservations were confirmed twice the week previously to my arrival and yet when I arrived they insisted I had no room. 30 minutes to clear up and we found it under a different name; one that had been changed more than once! I don't know if it the reservation system or the people, but it was very irritating. I travel a lot and never have I had to go through so much at check-in. Oh, and the rooms are not even close to sound proof, so if you stay be prepared for the city sounds and the morning construction crew.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Kelly T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Downtown City Centre, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I apologize for the problems you encountered locating your reservation. Our staff takes pride in providing excellent guest service. If you are willing to provide more information regarding your stay, it would give us the opporunity to correct the problem you had in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly at 317-822-6400.

Kelly Tabeling
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 April 2013

If you are in the downtown Indianapolis area, especially for a longer term stay, this is the place to go! Chelsea (ask for her) really helped me find the best deal for me in the area for the 8-9 weeks I was there. This place is also RIGHT next door to Lucas Oil stadium and about 2-3 blocks from bars and restaurants. The front desk staff was great, very friendly and made me feel right at home. They have a great breakfast in the morning, pool, gym, etc. The rooms are extremely clean and the beds are more than extremely comfortable- I was sleeping like a baby. They had drinks and snacks on wednesdays for guests, which was great. I will definitely be visiting this place again when I am in the Indianapolis area.

Room Tip: I had suites close to the corner for the most part and had zero issues!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Terre Haute, Indiana
Reviewed 9 April 2013

My friends and I were in Indy for a girls weekend and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express downtown. Very, very clean and nice. The staff was wonderful. This hotel is located right across from Lucas Oil Stadium and also within walking distance to all the downtown nightlife, shopping, food, etc. Also the free breakfast was amazing...the biscuits and gravey were wonderful! We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends