“Historic charm, great downtown location, restful sleep”

Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown
Ranked #19 of 180 Hotels in Indianapolis
Malvern, Pennsylvania
“Historic charm, great downtown location, restful sleep”
Reviewed 21 December 2012

For it's location, the noises of the city did not make it's way into my room. I particularly liked the the historic charm of this building in all it's aspects: lobby, elevators, halls, and rooms/windows. Check-in was very quick and friendly; valet attendants personable and polite. Fundamentals of the room: mattress comfort, lighting, TV, hot water temp/pressure were fine. The only issue I had was the heating system for my room could not adequately heat the entire room. The bathroom could just not get heated no matter how much I tried to increase the thermostat. Maybe it was the room configuration, large windows, or poor insulation that caused this. The air temperature was fine in the rest of the room space. No complaints with the housekeeping; my room was very clean.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
South Bend, IN
Reviewed 9 December 2012

My wife and I stayed here during a trip to Indy. The hotel is in an excellent location just 1/2 block east of the circle which is the center of town. You can walk anywhere downtone safely from here. The building used to be an old bank converted into a wonderful hotel. It is very beautiful from the outside and inside with an awesome front lobby including sitting area and fireplace. We had a king size bedroom and were surprised how large the room was. It was very clean and modern and well kept. Valet parking is available for just a few dollars more than it will cost you to park on you own and well worth it. However there is a parking garage right across the street if you choose to park on your own. Indoor pool, hot tub and workout room on site. We reserved the breakfast package when booking for only $10 more which got us both a great meal in the morning. It is a buffett with plenty and lots of choices on it. You can also have omelets, french toast and waffles made to order that were excellent. We left stuffed. The walk in price is $10 per person so get the package with the room when you book and save at least half. Everyone we met from the valet parker, front desk workers, maids and servers at breakfast were extremely friendly, polite and helpful. Our one single complaint was the female bartender who was not at all friendly and made us leave the bar area about 5 minutes after it closed. That being said, this was an absolute awesome hotel in the perfect location with great staff. Next time in Indy this will be our only choice.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
indyilinds, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Thanks for your review! It looks like you enjoyed pretty much everything with your stay and we are so happy to have you share your experience.
Springfield, Oregon
Reviewed 29 November 2012

The hotel is very old and in the homeless section of Indianapolis. The rooms are dirty and not cleaned very well. Although they do wash the sheets occansionaly, the bedspreads, pillows, mattress cover, and comforter are not washed. After staying at the hotel for four days, I broke out in a rash over 80% of my body. I went to the doctor and found out that I caught Scabbies from the Hotel. I have had to put pesticide lotion on my body head to toe once every 7 days. Most of the rash is gone except my feet where the scabbies had bittin me the most.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Picky_Traveler_Ducks
HGI-IndyDowntown, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, 30 November 2012
" I am so sorry you found your guest room unacceptable". Our housekeepers work very hard to keep our guest rooms clean and an unacceptable guest room is not the standard at our hotel. Along with safety of our guests, the cleanliness of our hotel is of the utmost importance and is always a focal point of our operations in order to continue providing guests with a great experience. Hotel guest rooms are cleaned regularly by trained staff. We are proud of our efforts in this area, which are reflected in the satisfaction and loyalty of returning guests to our hotel and our brand. We have partnered with the Indiana Department of Health to ensure our guest rooms are not contaminated. My sincerest apologies. I hope you consider staying with us again. We'd love to have you as our guest the next time you are in Indianapolis."
Beavercreek, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 20 November 2012

The hotel room was wonderful. We stayed in a King size suite. It had two rooms which was great since I like to sleep in and my husband does not. He was able to go in the other room and watch television without disturbing me. The location of the hotel was perfect for us to walk to all the sites we wanted to see. We used the Valle parking, which we had never done. I think we actually came out ahead by doing so.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
indyilinds, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, 30 November 2012
Thanks so much for posting a review of our hotel! We are glad you found our suites comfortable and hope you'll try out the new ones we will be opening early-mid 2013 on the top floor of the hotel!
Kokomo, Indiana
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Great location & one of the closest hotels to Monument Circle! Circle Center Mall & Banker's Life Fieldhouse are walking distance. The lobby is beautiful. The rooms are very clean & updated. Comfy Sleep Number beds. Nice breakfast buffet & friendly service! I would stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie A
Thank you for writing! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!
Houston, TX
Reviewed 12 November 2012

The hotel is an old bank. That is good and bad. The location is very good, right off the main circle in downtown. The building is rather old, which gives it character, but also contributes to some of the issues. The rooms (we had two) smelled musty and damp but the windows did not open to let in fresh air. One of us had to be relocated due to this smell. They did apologize and give us free breakfast for the trouble. This is an example of them trying to overcome the problems. Valet parking seemed expensive for this type of place, but there were no other options. There are other hotels in the area, but from the several we saw, you have to spend substantially more to get moderately better accommodations. We weren't unhappy, but there was nothing spectacular either.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. We apologize for the inconvenience with your stay. Please note you may choose our self-parking option instead of valet for $7 less. I hope you will consider us the next time you find yourself in Indianapolis.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I stayed two nites at the Hilton Garden Inn on business in July 2012. The hotel was walking distance to my biz meetings, so it was incredibly handy. Also, it is located right off of Monument Circle (I could even see the monument from my room), so it's additionally well-located to restaurants and sight-seeing.

The hotel is located in an old bank building and still has gorgeous engraved brass elevator doors off of the marble lobby. The rooms, themselves, are a little smallish, but nicely appointed. The bed is a sort of "Sleep Number" knock-off which has a dial on the side of the mattress that you can dial for levels of firmness. I couldn't tell much difference in the settings, honestly. There is a microwave and a fridge (in addition to the standard coffeemaker) which is great if you want to skimp on room service or the downstairs buffet. Standard-size bathroom with low, non-soaking style tub.

As an aside, a colleague I was travelling with checked into her "non-smoking" room and it reeked of smoke. She said that, clearly, someone had been smoking quite heavily in the room before she checked in. She asked to be moved and, luckily, her second room was better.

This is definitely a nice enough hotel & a good value for the price. However, after staying at the Omni, I would likely rebook there before staying at the Hilton Garden Inn, again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you'll think of us along with the Omni the next time you're in town!