“Great location, staff; be aware of ongoing renovations”

Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown
Ranked #17 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 30 December 2012

My wife and I live on the southside of Indy and stayed here the evening of Friday, 12/28, as part of a "night on the town." We arrived before the stated check-in time of 3 (we were there around 1:30) and were promptly welcomed by the front desk staff and given a room. They also told us the history of the building; it was a bank that was built around the turn of the 20th century (1916?) and the lobby, though updated, still had the look and open feel of a large bank of the time. The elevators (3 of them just off the lobby) still have the old brass doors. We had room 1514, which was on the top floor at the front of the building facing south. It had a high ceiling, king bed, hi-def TV, microwave, fridge, desk w/ office chair, and a lounge chair...quite nice. The bed was very comfortable. The location can't be beat...Monument Circle (make sure to visit the Col. Eli Lilly Civil War museum in the basement, it's free and very interesting) and the Herbert Theater (Indy Symphony Orch) only 1/2 a block away, Bankers Life Fieldhouse (Conseco still to most of us Indy people!) is 2 blocks away, Circle Center Mall is 2 blocks away, a host of restaurants (Mortons, Fogo De Chao, Mo's, St. Elmos, Ruth's Chris, to name a few of the most popular...as well as many other restaurants/bars) are anywhere from 1 to 3 blocks. If you're from out of town and don't mind to walk just a little, there really is no need for a car if you're staying here. If you do have a car make sure you self-park across the street from the hotel at the Express Park Garage, with its entrance at 20 N. Pennsylvania, just around the corner from the hotel. It's only $10 for 24 hours.
We did not try out the pool, weight room or restaurant, so I can't review those.
Our only complaint is that they must be doing some room renovations because we were awakened around 9 in the morning by what sounded like construction sounds below us. Other than that we really enjoyed our stay, especially at $92 for the night w/ advance purchase (~ $110 w/ all of Indianapolis' taxes). We would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: May want to ask about ongoing renovations.
1  Thank Hoosier1960
indyilinds, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with our hotel! I apologize for the construction sounds on Saturday morning; we are renovating our 16th floor into an all-suite concierge level which should open in March. Otherwise, it sounds like you and your wife enjoyed your staycation here and we hope you will come again the next time you need a night out downtown.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,107)

Reviewed 29 December 2012

My wife and I came for a 2-night stay and enjoyed this hotel very much. Conveniently located, we walked to St. Elmo for dinner, the Pacers game, a movie at the downtown mall, Cafe Patachou for breakfast. etc. The room was nice with an extemely high ceiling. Parking for self-park was only $10/day just around the corner. Unfortunately we did not bring our swimsuits because the pool and jacuzzi in the basement looked inviting. Nice fireplace in the lobby. A great value with a non-refundable prepayment.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your review! I'm happy to hear you and your wife had a nice experience with our hotel. I'm also glad you mentioned the non-refundable rate. Many people don't know that by booking that, if your plans are firm, they can save a lot on the room rate! We look forward to seeing you next time. Don't forget your swim suits!

Reviewed 21 December 2012

For it's location, the noises of the city did not make it's way into my room. I particularly liked the the historic charm of this building in all it's aspects: lobby, elevators, halls, and rooms/windows. Check-in was very quick and friendly; valet attendants personable and polite. Fundamentals of the room: mattress comfort, lighting, TV, hot water temp/pressure were fine. The only issue I had was the heating system for my room could not adequately heat the entire room. The bathroom could just not get heated no matter how much I tried to increase the thermostat. Maybe it was the room configuration, large windows, or poor insulation that caused this. The air temperature was fine in the rest of the room space. No complaints with the housekeeping; my room was very clean.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 December 2012

My wife and I stayed here during a trip to Indy. The hotel is in an excellent location just 1/2 block east of the circle which is the center of town. You can walk anywhere downtone safely from here. The building used to be an old bank converted into a wonderful hotel. It is very beautiful from the outside and inside with an awesome front lobby including sitting area and fireplace. We had a king size bedroom and were surprised how large the room was. It was very clean and modern and well kept. Valet parking is available for just a few dollars more than it will cost you to park on you own and well worth it. However there is a parking garage right across the street if you choose to park on your own. Indoor pool, hot tub and workout room on site. We reserved the breakfast package when booking for only $10 more which got us both a great meal in the morning. It is a buffett with plenty and lots of choices on it. You can also have omelets, french toast and waffles made to order that were excellent. We left stuffed. The walk in price is $10 per person so get the package with the room when you book and save at least half. Everyone we met from the valet parker, front desk workers, maids and servers at breakfast were extremely friendly, polite and helpful. Our one single complaint was the female bartender who was not at all friendly and made us leave the bar area about 5 minutes after it closed. That being said, this was an absolute awesome hotel in the perfect location with great staff. Next time in Indy this will be our only choice.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your review! It looks like you enjoyed pretty much everything with your stay and we are so happy to have you share your experience.

Reviewed 29 November 2012

The hotel is very old and in the homeless section of Indianapolis. The rooms are dirty and not cleaned very well. Although they do wash the sheets occansionaly, the bedspreads, pillows, mattress cover, and comforter are not washed. After staying at the hotel for four days, I broke out in a rash over 80% of my body. I went to the doctor and found out that I caught Scabbies from the Hotel. I have had to put pesticide lotion on my body head to toe once every 7 days. Most of the rash is gone except my feet where the scabbies had bittin me the most.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Picky_Traveler_Ducks
HGI-IndyDowntown, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

" I am so sorry you found your guest room unacceptable". Our housekeepers work very hard to keep our guest rooms clean and an unacceptable guest room is not the standard at our hotel. Along with safety of our guests, the cleanliness of our hotel is of the utmost importance and is always a focal point of our operations in order to continue providing guests with a great experience. Hotel guest rooms are cleaned regularly by trained staff. We are proud of our efforts in this area, which are reflected in the satisfaction and loyalty of returning guests to our hotel and our brand. We have partnered with the Indiana Department of Health to ensure our guest rooms are not contaminated. My sincerest apologies. I hope you consider staying with us again. We'd love to have you as our guest the next time you are in Indianapolis."

Reviewed 20 November 2012

The hotel room was wonderful. We stayed in a King size suite. It had two rooms which was great since I like to sleep in and my husband does not. He was able to go in the other room and watch television without disturbing me. The location of the hotel was perfect for us to walk to all the sites we wanted to see. We used the Valle parking, which we had never done. I think we actually came out ahead by doing so.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
indyilinds, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

Thanks so much for posting a review of our hotel! We are glad you found our suites comfortable and hope you'll try out the new ones we will be opening early-mid 2013 on the top floor of the hotel!

Reviewed 12 November 2012

Great location & one of the closest hotels to Monument Circle! Circle Center Mall & Banker's Life Fieldhouse are walking distance. The lobby is beautiful. The rooms are very clean & updated. Comfy Sleep Number beds. Nice breakfast buffet & friendly service! I would stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie A

Thank you for writing! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!