“Customer Service FAIL” 1 of 5 bubbles

Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Customer Service FAIL”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

The Villa Inn Restaurant and Spa goes down in the books for the worst possible customer service I have experienced in my entire lifetime, and probably my parents and grandparents lifetimes. For my birthday, my boyfriend surprised me with a spa day.

I showed up at the Villa Inn 15 minutes before my appointment, as requested. Had a friendly conversation with the receptionist, Alexis, and she presented me with a birthday card that included a gift certificate for the spa services I was receiving that day. I thought this was such a nice gesture on part of the Villa Inn, maybe this is the only nice thing they did that day. I explained how my boyfriend surprised me with the spa package, and I had no idea what I was actually getting. She was very friendly, but at no point told me what was purchased for me. I waited for the 15 minutes in the lobby and had to listen to the staff talk about how awful their day was.

So far at this point, I still had not been told what services I would be receiving. Around 4:18, the nail technician tells me she is ready for me. When she asked me what color I wanted, I mentioned I would like to have one of the no chip manicures that last for 2-3 weeks. She rolled her eyes, and acted like it was a major inconvenience to make this change.

While getting the manicure, I learned this technician was fresh out of cosmetology school. I guess that explains her unprofessional-ism. While performing the manicure, she mentioned several times that she had not eaten lunch yet and how tired she was from being on her feet all day. This again, made me feel really uncomfortable, as I felt like I was being an inconvenience to her. Wasn't I the one paying for services? It was pretty clear that she was a recent cosmetology school grad. The manicure I received was AWFUL. She got more polish on my skin then on my nails. She did not even clean my nails or shape them. They are imperfect and non-symmetrical ovals. There were bubbles in the dried polish. She forgot half way through how many times she was supposed to put each hand in the dryer. She forgot which hand had just been in the dryer. Within an hour of me leaving the spa that day, they already began chipping. I could have gotten a much better manicure at half the price at the normal walk-in nail salon I usually go to.

While I was getting the manicure, the woman who was to perform my next spa service (a facial), showed up, telling the nail technician to hurry up because she was ready to go home. She lingered for a little while, the two of them talked more about how tired they were, how long the day has been, how ready they were to go home. ALL RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. I get it, work can be tough, being on your feet all day and dealing with people can be exhausting. But, that is your job, and people pay you to provide the service you provide.

The facial- She actually did a good job on the facial and was polite. My only complaint was that she smelled like stale cigarettes. It made me nauseous. It wasn't very relaxing.

When the facial is over, I am told I can get dressed and that I am done. The woman performing the facial walked me back to the front desk to check out. The receptionist checked me out, I paid extra for the no chip manicure, gave a good tip because that is something I always do, and left. At no point during my time at the Villa Inn was I ever told what services I was going to be getting.

About an hour later I get a phone call from my boyfriend asking me why I didn't show up for my massage. WHAT? I didn't know I was supposed to get a massage. I called the receptionist and she explained that the woman that did my facial didn't know I was getting the massage. She asked when I would like to come back in. I said I would rather have the money refunded, then come back in and told her about my experience with the manicure and the facial. She needed to talk to her manager.

After a week of going back and forth, I finally talked to the GM this morning. Off the bat, he copped an attitude with me and lacked complete professionalism. He was yelling at me. He will not refund the money that was paid for the services not rendered, because I decided not to have the massage. I DIDN'T KNOW I WAS SCHEDULED FOR A MASSAGE. He told me that I was rude to the staff. I am a southern woman, we are only rude to people behind their backs. I am okay not getting refunded for the poor services, but not refunding for services you failed to perform is ROBBERY. I have filed claims with both the BBB and the Attorney General. DO NOT GO TO THE VILLA INN. I suggest you go to a more respected spa in Indianapolis, there are plenty to choose from that treat their customers right.

5 Thank Gwen M

Louisville, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“management needs training in customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

in december my wife had a great massage here
we ate lunch before, and the meal was good - the server was nice but not too attentive
my wife loved her massage, however
she bought her mom a massage for christmas
her mom thought it was okay, but she had a different massuse

i made a same-day appointment for my wife for a mani-pedi (with a 3.5 hour notice)
weather was bad & my wife had other things on her schedule so it would have been better to do during the week. so 2 hours before the appointment i called back to reschedule, but the so-called manager was rude and unaccomodating. she made no suggestions to accomodate us, and seemed very interested in having us pay whether we could make the appointment or not. i reminded her that i would still give the villa my business, just on a different day. she was stubborn and contimued to insist that no change could be made. she claimed that i should be famliar with their 24-hr cancellation policy (i was not). i wasn't told anything when i booked the appointment either.

rather that make 2 very reasonable customers happy they chose not to. their loss. i'm sure i can find more spas in indy that don't overpromise & under-deliver on service. i will go back when there is new management.

4 Thank hungry_indy_guy
Indianapolis, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Massage, But...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

The manicure was painful, and when the employee placed me in the room to dry my nails, she left and never came back. I will never go back. The massage was excellent The greeter and the lady who gave the massage were both courteous and friendly.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Spa Heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2004

I recenlty visited the Spa at the Villa on a business trip and I absolutely fell in love with the Historic building and Spa! The Spa is very intimate and the staff was very welcoming and helpful. The building has an Italian flair to it and is decorated beautifully. I will surely be going back soon! I recommend it to anyone who wants some relaxation!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member