La Chinita Poblana
Ranked #891 of 2,409 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Price range: US$5 - US$8
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: La Chinita Poblana is inspired by the legend of China Poblana or Chinese Pueblan. Blending flavors, spices and ingredients from Mexican, Asian and Indian cultures, Chef George Munoz creates unique tastes at the fusion taqueria. Stop in for fusion tacos, classic mole poblano, salads, unique desserts, fruit bubble teas, aqua frescas, fresh chips & salsa and fresh guacamole.
Reviewed 12 August 2013

An, excellent, informal place to eat. We were visiting my brother, who lives in Indy and he took us, with out three kids, to La Chinita for lunch. The food was truly memorable and tasty. If you have young children, then you know how finicky they can be. The owner/manager was able to provide some kid friendly choices. And there fruit drinks were wonderful.

Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

A very different taste for tacos. Take out to nearby benches to enjoy. Small family operation. Best tacos in Indy.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

I am very happy to have this restaurant open close to my home, and it is now a part of our rotation of carry out places for when we don't feel like cooking in the middle of the week. It's essentially only a carry out place, but if I were walking around Broad Ripple it would be an easy place to get a snack as well.

I've tried every taco on the menu, and the skirt steak and shrimp selections are our most consistent favorites. The others are good as well but sometimes the flavor is a little unpredictable. We also enjoy getting the tortillas and salsa, which I would buy by the jar if it was available that way, which has a nice amount of heat.

It's not upscale and it's not downscale, just a good place to get some uncomplicated food when you don't want to sit down.

Reviewed 18 October 2012

This is a tiny spot, colorful and cheerful but only for carryout (no seating, no bathrooms). Even though preparation is fast I would suggest making your selections from the online menu and calling ahead since parking in the area is in limited supply.
The first item I tried was the shirt steak taco which the menu listed as red curry marinated with avacado crema. This one was very flavorful and had lots of cilantro, which I happen to like. I'm not a big avacado fan but the avacado taste was negligible. The cons were that the meat was fairly fatty and the corn shell was fried and very oily/greasy.
The second item was the chicken taco which the menu listed as tamerine-cumin marinated with sweet peanut chile, cilantro, mint and basil. With all those ingredients I expected this one to be very flavorful but it was surprisingly bland. It seemed to be missing something, maybe a slight element of sweetness like coconut? This also had the greasy fried corn shell.
Both tacos had enough heat to make my lips tingle but not so hot to scare off a person like me who prefers my food not to fight back.
Unable to decide between the desserts I ordered 3 to sample; the tres leches flan, a banana chocolate egg roll, and Thai tapioca.
The flan was good but I couldn't taste anything out of the ordinary to label it as tres leches. Also, a liquid tight container would have been appreciated as the sauce leaked through the bag on onto my car seat.
The egg roll itself was too thick which made it tough and chewy. It also shared the element of being very oily/greasy. The filling was about half a banana with sort of a glaze of chocolate sauce. The flavor was good but it could be a real winner with a lighter crust, less grease, and maybe a little more chocolate in the interior.
The Thai tapioca was..unusual. I kept tasting a slightly bitter undertone I couldn't recognize (tea? basil? something carmelized?) until I hit a a chunk of tapioca that looked like it had stuck to the bottom of the pan and been slightly burned.
I wouldn't be adverse to returning but I would plan on several hours on the treadmill to counteract all that grease.