“Beautiful new hotel”

The Alexander
Ranked #7 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I really liked my stay here and would stay again. The art is beautiful, the rooms are spacious and the staff is wonderful. Some surprises:
- The hotel is paperless, i.e. they will not print out a bill for you but send one by e-mail. If you are on business and need a printout for your expense report, the printing is on you.
- There was no room service - or at least not a room service menu in my room, maybe that will come later?
- There was no business center to print my boarding pass. But the front desk was able to print it for me.
- Some previous reviews commented on the thin walls and I must admit that the noise from other rooms was noticeable, especially the walking in the room above. I think this is because the flooring is about 80% laminate, so there is not enough carpeting muffling the sounds.

Room Tip: I recommend getting a room towards the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Michael V, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Dear Girbit,

Thank you for choosing The Alexander - A Dolce Hotel on your recent visit to Indianapolis. We appreciate your your positive comments in regards to our hotel and staff and please trust we will share them with our team. We are an energy conscious, green hotel and working towards LEED Silver Certification, However we always accomodate requests for print items. We have Business Center Services available through our Guest Services department and In Room Dining, both available 24 hours.

We look forward to serving you again when your travels bring you back to the Circle City!

Director of Rooms

Reviewed 18 February 2013

Had to request that the dust covers had to be removed from the smoke sensors in our suite. All night construction noise. Eleavtor not working. Dirty suite, dry wall dust everywhere. Items not completed in our suite. Restaurant not good!

Room Tip: Make sure you are in main hotel
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dave C
Michael V, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Dave C,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments in regards to your visit to The Alexander - A Dolce Hotel. We were disappointed to read your comments and more importantly disappointed we did not meet your expectations. We strive to provide the highest level of service and quality and would like to earn your future business when your travels bring you back to Indianapolis. I woulld certainly love the opportunity to speak with you personally in regards to the details of your stay. It is candid feedback such as yours which enable us to make every guest stay the finest in the city.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

Prior to my stay the hotel had only been open for 14 days. Was in town for business trip and was first stay at this property. Found the staff to be very friendly and courteous. Stayed in the private residences and the room was amazing and the towels and sheets were luxurious!! There are limited dining options on-site with one full restaurant (which is privately owned) and a bar style restaurant (tapas & small plates) and Market. Ordered room service for dinner and it was very good.
Would certainly stay here again!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Alexiaann

Alexiaann,

Thank you for taking time to complete a Trip Advisor Review on your recent visit to The Alexander - A Dolce Hotel. We do appreciate your your business and we will certainly share your review with our team. Your comments, "Amazing Staff and Comfortable Stay" is the goal we strive to achieve and we appreciate your feedback. We look forward to serving you again when your travels bring you back to The Circle City!

Reviewed 13 February 2013

A beautiful new addition to Indianapolis. I loved the attention to detail in the rooms, the art in the lobby lounge area was quite cool. The employees were very attentive, helpful and professional. Also, quite cool to see the Brooklyn Nets players around the hotel. Overall, I was very satisfied - and in fact impressed - with my first visit to The Alexander. I will stay here in the future and would recommend this hotel for you - especially if you're a decor junkie and have a thing for mid-century design. :)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank matthew a
Michael V, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

Matthew A,

What a great way to start my day reading your Trip Advisor review of The Alexander - A Dolce Hotel. It is an exciting time for us with the opening of a new hotel and it is great to receive feedback from our hotel guests on their stay experience. I will certainly share your comments with the team and we look forward to your return, when your travels bring you back to the Indianapolis area. We are excited to be a part of the CityWay revitilizaton of Downtown Indianapolis where we are part of a neighborhood where one can work, play & stay!

Reviewed 11 February 2013

My wife and I booked a California King Junior Suite based off of the descriptions on their own website. When we arrived, I was concerne because the hotel looked cheap on the inside. We checked in and the staff was friendly enough, but a little pushy/nosey about our plans for the evening. We went to the room and I again thought how cheap the hotel halls looked. We got to the room and I immediately thought that they gave us the wrong room. The description from their own website describes: "Floor to Ceiling Windows:, "Panaramic views", "Free-standing bathtub for long soaks", "32 LED tv in batlhroom", "55 in LED tv in room", "Luxurious", describing the room as a place you would want to entertain, etc. FIrst, the window, no "Floor-to-ceiling" window, rather a standard sized window that looked very small in a larger room. The "Panaramic view" was a nice view of a construction site. The "Free-standing bathtub" was simply a regular bathtub that was also dirty (new hotel also). The bathroom tv was built into the mirror, but was probably 15 in...no 32 in. The main TV was maybe 46 in, not 55 in as described. The room was bigger than average, but felt cold and cheap. I called the desk and they did not even know what room we were in and they said that they would call right back. They did tell me, when I asked about the TV in the bathroom, that it "was not practical when they built it". I waited about 10 minutes and decided just to go down to the desk. The gentleman first told me there was no construction...until I showed him the photo on my phone. They could give me no answers on the "floor-to-ceiling" windows. They did say that they knew they needed to update their website. The staff was nice enough, but not well informed at all. The photos on their website look nothing like the room. I requested to cancel our stay and they said that they would at no charge, but there is still a charge on my credit card. We travel a lot and were very disappointed by this stay. It does not reflect well on the City and all of the good things going on here. We are local and decided to give it a try for a weekend get away. I would not recommend this hotel at all mainly because of how misleading their website is.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TLRJDR
Michael V, Public Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

TLRJDR,

Thank you for taking time to communicate information in regards to your recent experience at The Alexander on February 11, 2013. Although I was very dissappointed to read the review, I can only imagine your disappointment. Rooms descriptions posted online were completed prior to opening of the hotel and we are updating these at this moment. Please trust this was in no way an attempt to mislead, rather an oversight on website descriptions. My apologies and we will have these updated shortly. I would certainly love the opportunity to speak with you personally in regards to your visit so please call me at your convenience if you would be so kind.

317.624.8200

Reviewed 10 February 2013

My wife and I wanted to try this new hotel for our anniversary. We were looking for something nice and inviting and this was definitely not the place. It starts with a check in desk wrapped in a clear plastic box. Yes I said that correctly. You can look, but don't touch. This place is essentially an art museum with a floor for rooms. And as the other reviews stated, the rooms have very thin walls and you can hear everything. The bed was uncomforatble and the shower has one shower head and it is the rain shower type. So good for washing your hair but not your body. Unless they change things quickly, they will get people to stay once but the return visit will never happen.

Room Tip: Rooms at another downtown hotel are better.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jim B
Michael V, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Jim B,

Thank you for choosing The Alexander during your recent visit to Indianapolis and Congratulations on your Anniversary! We appreciate you taking time to share your valued feedback and we are looking at our guest comments very seriously. Every component of the guest experience is critical. Thank You.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel when your travel plans bring you back to Indianapolis.

Reviewed 10 February 2013

Stayed 2 nights while on business in Indy. Modern, new hotel. Room was decent, but thin walls as others have stated. Also heard music outside window late at night, but was not from the bar. I think they have speakers on sidewalk with retro lighting. Needs to be turned off at a certain hour. Shower pressure was OK, but not a fan of the shower head all the way in the top of the ceiling...to high to really reach it. Dined in Market restaurant for breakfast, which was a basic buffet with a few hot selections, made to order omelets, etc. Surprised to see charges on bill at check-out from the mini-bar/snacks which I did not consume, but they adjusted it. Friendly staff. Overall, decent, new hotel. Would likely return next time in Indy.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Traveler1966_MI
Michael V, Owner at The Alexander, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Dear Traveler 1966 MI,

Thank you for taking time to complete the Trip Advisor survey in regards to your recent visit to The Alexander - A Dolce Hotel. We appreciate your positive comments and look forward to your return when visiting Indianapolis. We appreciate your feedback and take all our guests comments seriously. As the newest hotel in Indianapolis - "The Circle City" we strive for excellence in both products and services. Please let us know when you are returning to The Alexander so we may ensure an Excellent Stay! The Team appreciates your loyalty!