“First stay at the Alexander in Indianapolis”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Alexander

The Alexander
Ranked #8 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newark, California, United States
“First stay at the Alexander in Indianapolis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

I stayed at the Alexander recently for three nights. The hotel staff was excellent in every way, the room beautiful, spacious, and quiet. This is a brand new hotel, decorated exquisitely, very nice restaurant, and free WiFi, unusual for a 4-star. Rate was very competitive with much lower rated downtown hotels. The only thing missing was a store to buy incidentals but apparently that is coming.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Michael V, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Bruce H,

Your review of The Alexander and our staff’s ability to provide courteous and helpful service makes me very proud. We are fortunate to have assembled a dedicated team of hospitality professionals, they are the reason The Alexander has been so successful since our opening on January 21, 2013. Thank you for your feedback which I will enjoy sharing with our team. I look forward to seeing you again when your travel back to our area.

The Alexander - A Dolce Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

Recent had the opportunity to stay at the Alexander Indy, it was a very newly opened hotel. it is fantastic in every respect. the staff in reception could not do enough to help me and the staff in the bar off reception was brilliant as was the tapas style food.. I recomend the Beef panini and also the pork belly slider and the scallops!
I have stayed in many places in the US and this place is one of the best I have stayed in yet. It is walking distance to the convention centre and just over the road to Lucas Stadium.
I didnt eat in the main restaurant but had breakfast there, once again the service was great as was the omlettes and maple saucages.
I have never filled in hotel questionaires or reviews on trip advisor but the quality of this place wwarraanted this!
I will be looking for more Alexander properties when I travel in the US again.
Quite surprise to read some of the other review, guess because it is so new they are still working the bugs out of it???

Room Tip: this is a fairly quiet part of town so all of the rooms would be OK
rod g,

It was great to read your review on Trip Advisor and please trust I will share and celebrate this with our team. We pride ourselves on providing the highest levels or service and product quality so thank you for your positive feedback. Our Mission - To create inspiring evironments which bring people together. Our brand values with Dolce Hotels & Resorts are Nourishment, Connectivity and Community so we are excited we met and exceeded your expectations.

When your travels bring you back to the Indianapolis area please let us know as we would love to serve you again.

Bloomington, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

We read and were somewhat surprised at several of the reviews. Our room was quiet and we heard no voices, music, etc. And...the room and the shower was fantastic! The staff was friendly and helpful. We parked our own car and utilized the bridge into the hotel. The art work was interesting, and we liked the open concept of the lobby. The Market place for breakfast was nice, but did seem pricey.

Room Tip: 5th floor was quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Michael V, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
PatorBob,

Thank you for your review and your kind words about your recent stay with us. It is great to hear back from guests who had a wonderful experience. It is especially nice to hear that you had such a good experience with our staff. We pride ourselves on our guest service and we will share your encouraging words with our staff. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to The Alexander and we hope to see you again soon.

North Plainfield, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

I just came back from a business trip in Indy and stayed at The Alexander Hotel. If you like art work, then stay here. If you like service do not.

The front desk staff was simply incompetent. I have tried five times to have charges to my credit card corrected and each time they have made it worse. Alleged credits were entered as charges to my card multiplying the problem. There was a charge for over $100 for which they could offer no explanation as they claimed they could not even see where it had been charged. I am left with having to dispute $200 of charges with my credit card company, an additional hassle I did not expect from a so-called luxury hotel.

And then the breakfast. Aside from the eggs and omelets all the food was cold. This includes the sausage and bacon. No one stopped by my table. I finally found a waitstaff and requested coffee, juice and water. I had finished eating before they arrived. Then an additional wait for coffee creamer. When it finally arrived my coffee was as cold as the sausages from the buffet.

On the third day, suddenly the restaurant started charging an 18% tip, likely because the service had been so poor that they were afraid that no tips would be forthcoming otherwise.

The art work is lovely, even spectacular, but I would prefer to stay at a first-rate hotel than spend nights at a museum.

1 Thank Cheryl M
Cheryl M.

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed in reading that you did not have the quality stay The Alexander stives to provide to our hotel guests. I am sorry that you found your experience with our Food & Beverage department disappointing and the service lacking. I will personally speak with our Food & Beverage Manager in regards to your encounters. We always want to exceed our guest’s expectations and we clearly did not meet those standards in this instance.

With regard to your comment about your credit card. I would be happy to assist in getting this resolved for you. As the Trip Advisor review only gives Cheryl M. please contact me at your earliest convenience with details and I will get this corrected.

Thanks for letting us know about your visit!

Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

The brand new modern design of the hotel is fresh and clean but not suited to the needs of a business traveler away from home for 2 weeks. Not only is there no bath tub, there is no door on the shower, so there is always a wet floor after a shower. There are no towel bars in the bathroom. There is only a single hook, which is not enough to hang a robe, bath towels, hand towels, and a hanging toiletry case. The dark wood floors look nice, but the experience would be nicer if slippers were provided, which would seem a natural follow on from the robes that are provided. In a room where I am staying for two weeks, there is a modern chair and ottoman but no sofa. When I ordered room service, the Alexander burger was greasy and tasteless. The sweet potato fries were limp and lukewarm. The creme brulee was soupy. The amber beer that I ordered tasted more like a stout. However, the towels are soft and fluffy, and the bed and pillows are comfortable. Also, there are handy international plugs and even a USB outlet to charge devices. The alarm clock is an iPod docking station. The coffee in the room tastes delicious, although the coffee machine is noisy, and the mugs aren't designed to be used with this particular coffee machine. Staff are friendly, but not yet tuned to what guests need. For example, the person who showed me to my room was chatty and friendly, but he didn't show me how to operate the lights. It took me quite a while to find and figure out the dimmer panel. The televisions in the gym only receive a few channels. I think the breakfast should be included in my room rate, but I was given a bill for $14 when all I had was cereal, fruit and coffee. If I had selected an omelette, it might have been better value for money. There are no comment cards in the room. Upon entering the hotel at the ground level, guests must climb the stairs or take the elevator to the lobby. Then there is another elevator or set of stairs to the guest rooms: another case of poor design. The dinging of the elevator as it arrives on the floor can be heard rather far down the hall, and I would pity anyone who stays in a room near such a noisy elevator. The volume should be turned down or silenced. There was a white under shirt in the drawers when I first arrived in the room, so housekeeping must not have been too thorough in cleaning the room after the previous guest checked out.

USAinUK76,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at The Alexander - A Dolce Hotel. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience, but it was disappointing to read about your challenges with the shower, towel hooks and Food & Beverage offerings. Please know we take our guest comments very seriously and we are preparing to install additional towel hooks, shower heads and doors for the showers.

I will be sharing your feedback with the appropriate department so that we may review with the staff so we may continue to hone our products and services. I do appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

I do hope the next time your travels bring you back to Indinapolis that you stay with us once again.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

Nice new hotel, make sure you are on the top floor as you will hear the people above walking around. Bed was great room size good. staff were great. was a bit far from convention hall. Had some great art work.

Room Tip: Top floor.
Rooter-Man P,

It was great to have you as a guest of The Alexander - A Dolce Hotel. We appreciate your positive comments in regards to your stay and thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to Indianapolis. Our mission is to create inspiring environments which bring people together! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the artwork. When your travels bring you back to the "Circle City" we would be honored to have you as a returned guest.

Best Regards,

Danbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I really liked my stay here and would stay again. The art is beautiful, the rooms are spacious and the staff is wonderful. Some surprises:
- The hotel is paperless, i.e. they will not print out a bill for you but send one by e-mail. If you are on business and need a printout for your expense report, the printing is on you.
- There was no room service - or at least not a room service menu in my room, maybe that will come later?
- There was no business center to print my boarding pass. But the front desk was able to print it for me.
- Some previous reviews commented on the thin walls and I must admit that the noise from other rooms was noticeable, especially the walking in the room above. I think this is because the flooring is about 80% laminate, so there is not enough carpeting muffling the sounds.

Room Tip: I recommend getting a room towards the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Michael V, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Dear Girbit,

Thank you for choosing The Alexander - A Dolce Hotel on your recent visit to Indianapolis. We appreciate your your positive comments in regards to our hotel and staff and please trust we will share them with our team. We are an energy conscious, green hotel and working towards LEED Silver Certification, However we always accomodate requests for print items. We have Business Center Services available through our Guest Services department and In Room Dining, both available 24 hours.

We look forward to serving you again when your travels bring you back to the Circle City!