“An Art Gallery With Hotel Rooms”
Review of The Alexander

The Alexander
Ranked #5 of 188 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Talk about a surprise in downtown Indy! I checked into this hotel today for a business meeting tomorrow and was blown away at how cool it really is. The website is great, but it does not give you the full sense of what this hotel is really all about. Great service at the front desk, great service in Plat 99 the lobby bar... great service all around. I live in NYC and am used to hotels that work hard to re-imagine who they are.... this hotel has done it.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 3rd floor, but I bet a higher floor would provide a better view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Michelle D, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

NYCWebDude,

Thank you so much for visiting us for your business meeting in Indianapolis! We greatly appreciate your taking the time to write about your experience at the hotel. I was so glad to read that you found the hotel to be even more impressive once actually here! I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay and we look forward to having you back.

The Alexander, A Dolce Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (2,976)

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Really enjoyed my stay at The Alexander. Beautiful rooms, artwork was great and the service was top notch. The bar was very unique and had a great selection of cocktails. I highly recommend this hotel.

Craig F,

Thank you so much for your great 5 star review of The Alexander. I am glad to hear that your stay was "top notch". We certainly pride ourselves on service and being unique in regards to the ambiance and food and beverage options. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the bar and our staff. Thank again, come back and see us!

Reviewed 21 January 2014

The Alexander was pretty unique from the moment you check in. Interesting lobby, and very modern rooms - liked the use of key card to turn on lights. Comfortable rooms, although shower pressure lower than I would have liked. Room prices vary greatly by night, but we stayed on weekend when there was no Colts game, so thought was very good value. Location is good, although it was cold and snowy the night we were there and it was a little bit too far from downtown restaraunts to walk, but on a nice day, it wouldn't be a bad walk.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Michelle D, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

David O,

Thank you so much for coming to visit us! I greatly appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience. The Alexander was designed with the purpose to be a unique and inspiring hotel for our guests. I'm glad that you enjoyed the energy efficient lighting system we have and the modern design of the rooms. I do apologize for the issue with the water pressure. Please feel free to contact me directly so we can ensure we get this fixed for the future. Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you back!

317-624-8224

Reviewed 20 January 2014

The Alexander was the absolutely beautiful and relaxing hotel. What a gem that Indianapolis has! We enjoyed our 3-nights stay thoroughly. First, I must commend to the Guest Service/front desk staff, who greeted us with big smiles every time we pass by. They are very courteous, helpful, and friendly who started our stay at the Alexander pleasantly and showed no change of that during our stay. Second, the art exhibits and furnishings in the hotel lobby, at the restaurant, our room, and throughout hotels (even in the parking garage) were worth taking time to admire (which we did). The lobby is spacious and furnished with comfortable sofas and chairs with a fireplace. Amazing works of a few artists are gorgeously displayed while you can sit and relax there. Flipping pages of the magazines in one of sofas/chairs was also an option to relax. I spent a couple hours reading sitting on a large comfortable chair situated in a sunny hallway with a cup of Tea Forte in my hand (courtesy of the hotel). My daughter and I were in Indianapolis attending an event at the IUPUI Natatorium. We were looking to stay in a hotel closer to the IUPUI campus and we happened to find the Alexander. The price of other hotels near IUPUI and in downtown was more than I was willing to spend. The location of the Alexander was perfect to avoid staying in the hotels with others in the same venue and steering away from a large crowd in the other venue at the Convention Center in downtown. We were also able to avoid waiting in a line for our meals by going to the Market Table in the hotel. Not only we were seated right away but we had a scrumptious buffet-style brunch in relaxed and quiet atmosphere without waiting! Staff at the restaurant was very attentive, courteous, and knowledgeable. We were impressed with variety of items available there not to mention their taste. My daughter’s request for breakfast items (omelet bar and brioche French toast made upon request) was welcomed as we walked into the restaurant around 12:30pm. Importantly, price of the brunch was very reasonable comparing to those at other hotels in major cities. We tend to encounter similar noise problems in hallways, neighboring rooms, slamming doors, elevator chimes, or vacuuming from housekeeping even in so-called upper scale hotels. Yet, the Alexander provided us very comfortable stay assuring quiet nap during afternoon and sleep at night. Our room furnishing was simple and modern but functional in a spacious room with 2 queen-size beds. Comfortable and clean bedding assured us sound sleep in addition to superior sound proofing as mentioned above. Although entire one side of our room was a huge window showcasing panoramic city-view from the 6th floor, the double roller shades completely shut out sunlight assuring our beauty rest during day and early morning. Housekeeping staff was very accommodating to our needs not to disrupt my daughter's nap in the afternoon. Room service was excellent using local items/ingredients as with the brunch. The food was delivered correctly and on timely manner. The staff was again very courteous. As for parking, valet parking and self-parking were available. Since we are in and out a multiple times a day, we chose to use self-parking. There was a bridge to an adjacent parking garage from a hotel. It was an easy access in and out of the garage with a room key. The stay in another hotel would have been one more monotonous cookie-cutter stay for us while we were driving back and forth a few times a day and while we were canned in a boring hotel room' It was not the case at the Alexander. The Alexander surpassed our expectations and pleasantly surprised us in every aspect of our stay. We definitely recommend this hotel. We can’t wait for another opportunity to visit Indy and stay at the Alexander.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

HToyama,

Wow! I can't thank you enough for your great review and comments about the hotel. Your detailed account of your 3 night stay is so appreciated and will be shared with our entire staff! I'm so glad that you were able to find time to really delve into all of the artwork and also spend some time relaxing in our public areas with your tea. On behalf of the entire staff, we would like to we thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

It was very nice stay. I stayed DELUXE CALIFORNIA KING which was clean, wide and comfortable. I liked the bed, mattress and soft pillows.Breakafast at the Market dining was really nice; there are so many varity of items to choose in a buffet style and every food was delicious.

Tomoko A,

Thank you for staying with us. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the room and the California King style beds we have. I hope the breakfast left you feeling nourished and ready for your day. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed here New Year's Eve after a Pacers game at the nearby Banker's Life Field House. When we checked in, the staff didn't bother to remind us that our package included parking and breakfast, or that they changed our accommodation to a higher priced room (even though I had called earlier in the day and was told that we were not getting the upgrade). The rooms are very nice and the hotel is absolutely stunning. But there was a wedding reception going on that basically blocked our access to the wing of the hotel where we were staying , which was awkward to say the least as we traipsed through. We checked out by calling the front desk - and asked for the bill to be emailed, which never happened. When looking through my credit card charges, I saw that I was overcharged almost $100 from the quoted rate. I called and found out about all the extra charges and what the package should have included. After two tries, I got them to remove the redundant parking charges and restore the originally quoted rate, but I will never see those breakfasts. It's great to be chic and trendy, but if you can't administer a one night hotel package with parking and breakfast included, it's time to do some serious training.

Room Tip: The one bedroom suite with kitchenette is very nice.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

CinVinman,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience with The Alexander hotel. I can assure you, what you experienced with the room package and billing issues is not typical of our service. I would love to speak with you further about it when you have a moment. Please feel free to contact me at 317-624-8224 or via email at michelle.dollens@dolce.com.

On behalf of the entire staff, we do hope that you try us again so we can show you the type of service that we strive for with Dolce Hotels.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

This was my second stay here. When I first stayed here the hotel was brand new. The art is amazing. I found myself walking around just looking at the artwork and installations. My room this time was wonderful, some nice rugs were added compared to my first visit. Very reliable free internet access. Staff was very nice. The bar is excellent.
I recommend to have your bill printed at the end and not have it sent to your e-mail. I had an issue with the bill both times that then had to be resolved from afar. But that small glitch does not diminish my overall experience staying here.

girbit,

Thank you so much for coming back to stay with us again. It is always great to hear that our guests are noticing and appreciate the changes that we have made in our first year. The carpet runners in the room not only provide a bright, inviting walkway, but also dampen the sound from above which I see you noted in your first review. I sincerely apologize that you have had issues with your bill. I would be happy to speak with you about that so we can be sure this does not happen again in the future. I understand how important it is to have a clean bill for reimbursement purposes. Please feel free to contact me at 317-624-8228 or via email at michelle.dollens@dolce.com.

Look forward to seeing you again!