“Wedding Block Rudeness”

The Alexander
Ranked #6 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed at The Alexander as part of a wedding block for my cousins downtown wedding. When my husband arrived to check in our room was not ready. He needed to shower and change to prepare for the ceremony but was given no options on how to do this without a room! It was an hour+ after check in time. The staff was not helpful with this issue and we were not the only ones. When we returned from the wedding we had more issues steaming from the parking. It took us 20+ mins to get our car parked because the staff actually made the situation harder by not telling us the correct procedure. We ended up having a bartender from the hotel, that was leaving her shift, help us out more then the front desk staff. They just keep saying "I dont understand what you want me to do about it?" and at one point started making neagtive comments about my husband while I was standing within listening distance. There were other members of our party/family that didnt have rooms for one reason or another, even thought they were booked and confirmed as part of the block (that had 20+ rooms). No resolution was offered or mentioned, the staff Saturday night just made things worse. My family was upset and disappointed that they had trusted The Alexander to take care of their guests and will definately make sure none of our friends or family uses this hotel for a downtown wedding event again!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Michelle D, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Cari C.,

Thank you so much for your feedback and for speaking with me about these concerns. I again want to apologize for the lack of genuine service that you received while visiting us for your cousins wedding. We certainly look forward to having you back with us to show you the type of service that we strive for here at The Alexander. Feel free to contact me directly when you are looking to book, and I will make sure your entire stay is comfortable and effortless. I look forward to hearing from you.

There are newer reviews for The Alexander

Reviewed 2 August 2014

While traveling for a conference, I stayed for three nights at The Alexander. The decor at the Hotel includes a variety of Art installations. The beds are comfy, the staff professional, and the food and drinks pricey but worth it. Lucas Oil stadium, The Marketplace district and Mass.Ave are all walking distance.

1  Thank Ted C
Michelle D, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Ted C.,

Thank you for choosing The Alexander for your visit to Indianapolis. We certainly appreciate your comments, and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the artwork throughout the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed for the Brickyard. The staff was amazing. Every employee was smiling and friendly.
Property is new, modern, artsy and very clean.
The food is spot on perfect. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, drinks, everything is perfectly done.
If you are looking for a place to host an event, this is it, stop looking!
If you are looking for a great place to spend the night, stop looking!
Right by Lucas Oil Stadium. Close to the mall.
This place has it all. The staff is amazing.

1  Thank Curt E

Curt E.,

Thank you so much for your great online review of The Alexander. We certainly appreciate your loyalty and raving comments about your event and also the staff. It is certainly our pleasure to host your party and we do hope to have you back again next year!

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Loved staying here. The FD staff was friendly and knowledgable. The room was well appointed with super comfy beds. We were there on a busy weekend and the hotel bars were closed for private events. Also, I took a point off for service only because the valet were nice and eager to help but it wasn't a 5. Overall, terrific!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank diana e
Michelle D, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

diana e.,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us here at The Alexander. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the overall decor of the hotel. Please feel free to contact me to discuss any suggestions of comments you have about the valet staff. We strive tp provide personalized service in every aspect of the hotel, so any comments would be appreciated. We do hope to see you again in the future.

michelle.dollens@dolce.com

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband surprised me with a night at the Alexander for my birthday. Everyone at the Alexander was happy to help in any way they could and then went beyond even that. When I walked in the man at the check-in desk promptly handed me a card from my husband. He also wished me happy birthday (after talking with my husband I found out it was a different person than who he had given the card to...perfect hand off). At the time, the hotel was hosting a huge NASCAR racing league, including Tony Stewart, for the Brickyard 400. Even with all of that going on, the staff never seemed harried and they made us feel just as important as if we were Tony Stewart. The hotel room was perfect with a handwritten note from the hotel staff and champagne and strawberries. The room was exceptional. Clean, modern, bright and beautifully decorated. (The artwork throughout the hotel was really cool.) The beds were extremely comfortable. Outside noise was non-existent. It was a perfect stay at the best hotel in Indianapolis. The restaurant on site, Cerulean, was also amazing. The chef prepared a custom 10 course dinner based on questions my husband answered about my tastes. The food was exceptional. Every course was beautiful and tasted even better. We loved our waiter...I wish I could remember his name. He was funny, friendly and the service was impeccable. I couldn't have asked for a better time. Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer W

Jennifer W.,

Thank you so much for choosing The Alexander to celebrate your birthday. Sounds like everything went perfectly! I am glad that we were able to help make it a great night for you and your husband. It was absolutely our pleasure to have you with us, and we do hope to see you again!

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Beautiful, Artsy and Wonderful all around service. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Mobil One headquarters for the Brickyard 400. They did an awesome job transforming the hotel yet, not taking away from the classy atmosphere. We were all rooting for Tony Stewart!

• Stayed: July 2014

Hapuna 1,

We certainly enjoyed hosting your group here at The Alexander. We love seeing the transition from normal Alexander to Mobil 1 Alexander! It is such a great event and it is absolutely our pleasure to be your host for the weekend. We hope to see you all again next year! Thank you for your raving review on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This new hotel has a very lean and clean look, with a modernistic style. The rooms was spacious and a little spare looking, but with a modern and user-friendly bathroom and nice shower. Staff were friendly, and bed was very comfortable. In-room Keurig coffeemaker a nice plus, free Wifi and reasonably priced make this a good value and comfortable stay. Walking distance to the Fieldhouse, Lucas Oil Stadium and Lilly pharmaceuticals in a newly developing part of town, this is likely to grow in popularity over the years.

1  Thank hepadoc

hepadoc,

Thank you for staying with us! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the location of the hotel. The area is still building up and they have just recently broken ground on a new 87,000 square foot YMCA, in addition to opening two new restaurant locations in the past 2 months. Next time you are in the area, hopefully you can stay with us again and enjoy some of great new spots!