“Much better second time around”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 2,384 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

So my wife and I decided to give Ruth's Chris another try and we were pleased. Our first visit was to the north side this one downtown Indy. The hostess was super nice wait staff was wonderful and the food was great. I went for the salmon and it was probably the best I have had. My wife chose the stuffed chicken and she also enjoyed it greatly. If you have never been to Ruth's Chris before be prepared to open your wallet for your meal but all in all it's worth it. The ambiance was very chill and relaxing. If your downtown Indy looking for a nice place to eat and willing to spend a little extra it's a great place that this time did not disappoint.

There are newer reviews for Ruth's Chris Steak House

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My sister in law and I ate here for a girls night out trip. Delicious martini before dinner. Filet cooked to perfection. It melted in my mouth. Sides were good but big enough to share. Amazing carrot cake for dessert. Friendly staff.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I went with 2 other couples to celebrate just being frineds. I have lived in "Indy" all my life and never had the occassion to dine here so I was pretty excited when we decided this would be where we would dine. We arrived and headed straight for the bar while waiting for the rest of the party. I had a sangria that was extremely good. Hats off to the bar tender. When the rest of our group arrived we were seated at our wobbly topped table. It was very diffiucult to not worry about your wine glass not tipping over. They have some kind of pad under their white table cloth. I assume, because as they will often remind you, your plate comes out at 500 degrees. The atmosphere is dark
The Meal. We all started with a salad. I had the Wedge salad while the rest of the table ordered their chopped salad. Mine was like every wedge salad I have ever tasted nothing special. The chopped salad was enjoyed by all. We all ordered steak one of our friends had the surf and turf. I had the petite fillet with blue cheese med. well. My husband ordered the regular filet with blue cheese medium. The meat was extremely tender and flavorful. My husband said his leaned more to the Med well side. I tasted the crab, it tasted like crab. We also ordered several side dishes. We had asparagus, broccoli au Gratin and potato au gratin, shoe string fries and sauteed mushrooms. Each is enough for 2-3 people. The au gratin dishes were very cheesy, the asparagus was ok, a bit cold, the fries were barely touched and the mushrooms were ok as well.
We had for desert a HUGE piece of Carrot Cake which we all shared.
So why 3 stars vs everyone else giving it 5 stars? For the price and what we had, I could have made the same meal, just as good for a lot less money. I am talking EXPENSIVE. AND the waiter, Sam, was nice enough but it took him 3 tries at out bill and STILL did not get it right. It was not complicated, just a 3 way split but had some issues. Will I go back, probably not. I will stick to make my own 5 star meal at home.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I were in Indy for a weekend away. Her co-workers have recommended that we try Ruth's Chris which is a favorite of theirs. The ambiance was great for a romantic evening and the soft blue dinner light was inviting.

Our server, Tina, was very professional and did a wonderful job of making us feel welcome and attended to all our needs. We started the meal with an appetizer, Lobster Voodoo. It was tempura battered lobster pieces covered with a sweet and spicy glaze. I would give it a 3 out of 5. It was a different take on lobster, the heat was great but it was a bit too sweet.

For the next course I had the seafood gumbo. It had excellent flavor, the rice was cooked perfectly and the portion was just right. The only flaw was that my shrimp was overcooked. My wife, had tomato and mozzarella on a bed of spring mix with balsamic vinaigrette (pic included). She enjoyed the salad, the balsamic vinaigrette added a nice twang to the dish..the portion size was large, but manageable. The dish as served is enough for 2 or 3 people.

On to the entrees. I had the Cowboy Ribeye which you are informed beforehand is served on a very hot plate (500 degrees). The steak was prepared properly (I ordered mine to be cooked medium); however, it lacked enough seasoning for my taste. My wife had the lamb with mint (pic included), which she ordered to be prepared medium. It was prepared to her liking and had just the right amount of mint to accent the flavor of the lamb. Her dish was also served on a hot plate.

Our side dish, the broccoli au gratin was very good. The cheese sauce was creamy and paired well with the vegetable. The portion is enough for two (our server, Tina, let us know this regarding their sides); however, if you are use to portions similar to Mortons or Gibsons, then you would want to order two of this dish.

The conclusion of our meal culminated with our desserts. These were not on the table long, hence no dessert pictures. I strongly recommend the bread pudding with the rum sauce. It is mouth-watering. It is a generous portion of traditional bread pudding with raisins incorporated throughout. My wife had the upside chocolate souffle, which she stated was very rich. It was accompanied with a large portion of fresh whipped cream; and provided a nice balance to the richness of the cake...simply delicious. she said is was perfect with a cup of coffee.

In sum a very good meal; however, if given the choice again based upon price of our meal and my steak, I would prefer St. Elmo's.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We always look forward to a good steak. This place never let's you down! Filet was FABULOUS! The mash potatoes were Delish! The ceaser salad was amazing!
Of course you pay for it... But it's worth it!